roger Trigaux named his cat Gris Grris
    that is how much he loved this album
    GREAT anecdote!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Everything else was enunciated well enough to be understood, but not those phrases.
    Weirdly pronounced English? Mangled Louisiana French? African phrases from voodoo rituals? Nonsense words that sounded right? Only Dr. John knew.
    The Humble Pie version doesn't help much with this aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Roky thread got an anemic response, and in many respects, he was a giant.
    But he was a giant of a whole different, and opposing, aesthetic. Of raw primitivism, of musical eccentricity rooted in drug abuse and borderline sanity, of "authenticity", of the whole Hipster Rock Critics' Favorite trope. The people who love him, I would suspect, have nothing but contempt for any and all prog; the one artist they might follow that some of us do is Captain Beefheart, and they'd follow him for completely different reasons than we do.

So I can see why few here would take much notice of Roky.

But he was a giant of a whole different, and opposing, aesthetic. Of raw primitivism, of musical eccentricity rooted in drug abuse and borderline sanity, of "authenticity", of the whole Hipster Rock Critics' Favorite trope. The people who love him, I would suspect, have nothing but contempt for any and all prog...
    This is 100% conjecture. You're projecting while simultaneously being defensive.

Roky was Roky. He was a one of a kind in a lot of ways that were musical as well as extra-musical. I really don't understand the need to drag other stuff into it. Maybe, like me, many people here aren't familiar with him enough to weigh in on that thread. I don't know. I only know that the stuff you posted about his fans isn't germane and is conjecture.

FWIW: The one huge Roky / Thirteenth Floor fan I am pals with is mostly a huge prog prog fan - much more than me - with Mike Oldfield, Genesis, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, etc being particular favorites. Along with Roky and Joe Meek....
    Last edited by Steve F.; 06-10-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

He started out playing the guitar but got part of a finger shot off one night. He was one of the most interesting rock 'n' roll characters you'd ever want to interview. RIP to an American legend. Trickology!

But he was a giant of a whole different, and opposing, aesthetic. Of raw primitivism, of musical eccentricity rooted in drug abuse and borderline sanity, of "authenticity", of the whole Hipster Rock Critics' Favorite trope. The people who love him, I would suspect, have nothing but contempt for any and all prog; the one artist they might follow that some of us do is Captain Beefheart, and they'd follow him for completely different reasons than we do.

I think that you're overthinking it. Most PE posters don't even acknowledge Psych as ever happening (hyperbole to illustrate a fact,) and half of those that do (erroneously) think the genre is a sub-genre of Prog-Rock. I'd think it more likely that most here are unfamiliar with the Elevators and the rest of the whole Psychedelic scene. (And I'm not holding myself up as an expert, to be sure.)

Loved Dr. John's appearance in Treme, which made the soundtrack of Season 2:

Play it again in "heaven", mister.

RIP. Never really a fan. I've only heard ....I was in the right place, but it was the wrong time.......Always loved the guitar solo. Anyway, RIP.

Dr. John had a great run making fine records since he got off the junk. The sleeper of the bunch is Anutha Zone. It seemed to slip between the cracks, and it doesn't feature a whole lot of piano playing. But I love the songs and overall vibe of this record. The Ellington tribute is a favorite as well, as is Trippin' Live. RIP Mac
    Last edited by StarThrower; 06-07-2019 at 08:59 PM.

^ The "primitive" remark by Baribrotzer was directed at Roky Erickson, not Dr. John, and Steve's post was likewise about Roky.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ The "primitive" remark by Baribrotzer was directed at Roky Erickson, not Dr. John, and Steve's post was likewise about Roky.
    My bad. I adjusted my comments in tribute to the late Doctor.
    Last edited by StarThrower; 06-07-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Not a problem. Just clarifying.

saw him live once, in a festival in Charleroi around 1990/91 (the site was quite cool-looking, in a parking under two then-unused highway access ramps, the stage excellently placed in the symetrical setting), between Alvin Lee, than Mink/willy Deville than him, before Status Quo finishing the night and Zachary Richard was also earlier on the bill (mid-afternoon).
    I wasn't overwhelmed by any of them (even Alvin was not in excellent form) but Quo was in its usual shape and quite fun - easy to see why kids were nuts about them.
    Dr John's set had a very Mardi Gras/New Orleans feel with go-go dancers, and Zacchary came back for a couple of tracks, and DeVille as well. Although I wasn't overly familiar with his stuff back then (I knew a bit, but owned nothing of his back then), it was obvious in retrospect that he didn't play anything from his first five albums
    These three probably came in a "touring package" - the more I think about it now, the more it seems that it was "sold" as such: the New Orleans Revue.

Outside Alvin (which I'd seen 7 or 8 times before and a few times since), it's the only time I ever saw all of those acts, so I'm quite happy I did attend it that day.

RIP Mac Renneback

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    roger Trigaux named his cat Gris Grris
    that is how much he loved this album
    GREAT anecdote!

Not meaning to poop on the Doctor's homage (Udi would know better than I do), but there are hundreds of cats called that way in Belgium (and probably a few thousands in France), but it's got nothing to do with The Doctor.
    Indeed, many two-tone grey cats are simply called Gris Gris because of the fur colour and a few hundreds more because of the good luck (gri-gri) amulets - as opposed to the black cats who are supposed to bring bad luck.

Anyways, I vote for Udi's version, because I love it, and I know Roger would've definitely thought of that too.
    Last edited by Trane; 06-08-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Really?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

FWIW, I never heard of Roky Erickson. Dr. John, on the other hand, was virtually a household name for some time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=2478
    Spirit Of Satch: Dr John Interprets Louis Armstrong
    Antwerp 2015 [no label, 2CD]
    Live at Park Den Brandt, Antwerp, Belgium; August 15, 2015. Very good FM broadcast.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane
    Not meaning to poop on the Doctor's homage (Udi would know better than I do), but there are hundreds of cats called that way in Belgium (and probably a few thousands in France), but it's got nothing to do with The Doctor.
    Indeed, many two-tone grey cats are simply called Gris Gris because of the fur colour and a few hundreds more because of the good luck (gri-gri) amulets - as opposed to the black cats who are supposed to bring bad luck.
    Since the advent of Game Of Thrones, all cats in the English-speaking world are now called "Hodor," for reasons that are obvious to cat owners.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Just watched that Iko Iko video. Damn that was good. Jeff Healy and David Sanborn kill it, and Dr. and those other cats too.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    DAMN! Two Iconic voices! Will have to investigate to add to my next Holiday playlist! Thanks for posting......but my wallet is groaning....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The people who love him, I would suspect, have nothing but contempt for any and all prog
    But you see, everybody except from prog-aficionados has nothing but contempt for prog. This is because it is secluded in its own "little corner of the world", refusing to acknowledge anything that defies its norm and - in turn - refused any acknowledgment by the wider "pool" of rock music. The narrative that segregates the genres continues to thrive.

The exact "characterizations" you name for Roky Erickson apply to so many others...Syd Barrett comes in mind. But no, he's English, he was an original member (or the original member) of Pink Floyd, so he belongs somehow to the good Prog guys. Roky Erickson was no less creative or inventive as an artist than Syd, but still there are people in the US who don't even know his name. I swear I didn't know or imagine of his low status in the States, so it comes as a shock - when Roky is a name recognized in Europe even by mainstream rock fans.

To me all these artists - Dr John, Roky Erickson, Tom Rapp, Tim Buckley (to name just a couple of incredibly important musical figures that seem like they never existed for people in here) are part of the same revolutionary, musical movement. They need to be discussed and appreciated in the same context. That's my take on things at least.

Just saw this on YT - play it loud!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I saw him as support for Johnny Winter (in Copenhagen) many years ago.
    Johnny stepped in and they played some tracks from Gris Gris.
    That was so great !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just saw this on YT - play it loud!

They did two shows for "In Session."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I saw him as support for Johnny Winter (in Copenhagen) many years ago.
    Johnny stepped in and they played some tracks from Gris Gris.
    That was so great !
    I am sooo jealous. They did that brief European tour together ('86 or '87 I believe). I have a broadcast of one show where they played "Walking on Gilded Splinters." So great!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"