Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Like him or not, MacFarlane was by a very wide margin the edgiest host ever. I personally liked him a lot, and so did the other 2 people I was watching with.

He sure as hell isn't for everyone though.
    I'm not so sure that being "edgy" was the best way to go, and besides, that dude couldn't get out of his own way. He was fucking awful.

Don't quit your day job, Seth.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgGreaser View Post
    So you are against them spending time honoring older actors and directors etc with lifetime achievement Oscars etc? Because that is when they usually show old film montages. The idea being that you are celebrating one of the greats in the business in front of his or her peers, sometimes for the last time on a public stage. I take it you despise Hall of Fame inductions when they show old clips of athletes going in the Hall too?
    LOL! Boy, you got it all figured out. Here, maybe the third time I state it quite clearly will be the charm with you:

I simply don't want to see the same old montages shown year after year after bloody year.

If you wish to jump to unusually far-fetched conclusions and the dead-wrong assumptions that I am 'against' honouring older actors and that I 'despise' HOF inductions (?), well, enjoy yourself I guess. Perhaps I'll play that game as well: You must be a member of the Academy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    LOL! Boy, you got it all figured out. Here, maybe the third time I state it quite clearly will be the charm with you:

I simply don't want to see the same old montages shown year after year after bloody year.

If you wish to jump to unusually far-fetched conclusions and the dead-wrong assumptions that I am 'against' honouring older actors and that I 'despise' HOF inductions (?), well, enjoy yourself I guess. Perhaps I'll play that game as well: You must be a member of the Academy.

if they are honoring different actors and directors each year, the montages would be different, based of course on who they are honoring. So your claim that they show the exact "same old montages every year" is suspect, especially given the thousands and thousands of films around. Also, they do tend to show a few film clips of legendary actors or directors who have died. I guess that pisses you off too? I see that you're angry about this issue, so I will let you stew silently about this touchy subject.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgGreaser View Post
    if they are honoring different actors and directors each year, the montages would be different, based of course on who they are honoring. So your claim that they show the exact "same old montages every year" is suspect, especially given the thousands and thousands of films around. Also, they do tend to show a few film clips of legendary actors or directors who have died. I guess that pisses you off too? I see that you're angry about this issue, so I will let you stew silently about this touchy subject.

seriously? All this shit to everyone...after joining 3 days ago?

I didn't care for Seth as a host at all. His jokes weren't funny or they were ill-timed. I miss the old days of witty repertoire and gutsy humor of past hosts. Seth just looked awkward up there, and not even Shatner could save him. "He's dead, Jim!"

I have not seen ANY of the Best Picture nominees, so I'm putting Argo on my rental list, and hopefully can afford to see Silver Linings Playbook while it's still in the theater. Otherwise, it went well. Loved most of the gowns and enjoyed Shirley Bassey and Adele singing their respective James Bond songs. Jennifer Lawrence survived her fall up the steps with grace and natural humor. Such a refreshing, genuine young lady! I hope she doesn't become so fake and jaded like other actresses her age.

Edit: Forgot to mention Renee Zellweger, who looked totally doped up and higher than a kite. Pretty sad, actually. I thought SHE would be the one to fall down!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I didn't have any problem with Seth as host. IMO, the main thing a host can do wrong is to tell a series of Hollywood inside jokes that people like me won't understand. I don't follow Hollywood gossip. When anyone mentions an actor's husband or wife, I have to ask my wife who they are married to. Kind of embarrassing when the couple are both famous. But I wasn't invited to the wedding; how would I know? Seth went with material I could understand; he recognized that his audience was more than just the people in the theater. Most of it was funny enough. Of course, I have already forgotten who hosted last year, and in a few months this too will be forgotten. I like movies well enough, I just don't follow them like I do music. So far, I have seen only Skyfall (last night), and none of the 9 movies nominated for best picture. Hope to see them all eventually, though. Before today, I had never even heard of "The Master" or "Beasts of the Southern Wild." So, I learned something.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Didn't see anything of the whole shebang except for that I caught Adele's acceptance speech online this morning at breakfast. What a breath of fresh air she is ... you can tell she was genuinely over the moon with winning the Oscar for Best Song.

I leave PE for few hours and my thread goes totally off the rails!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

The Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    I'm not so sure that being "edgy" was the best way to go, and besides, that dude couldn't get out of his own way. He was fucking awful.

Don't quit your day job, Seth.
    LOL. His "day job" pays him more than most of the people receiving the awards. I thought he was quite funny, although possibly not appropriate for what traditionally is supposed to be a family audience.

I did not watch the Oscars...I just cannot take so manny commercials in one dose ...but I like the fact that Argo was awarded....great movie...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    LOL. His "day job" pays him more than most of the people receiving the awards. I thought he was quite funny, although possibly not appropriate for what traditionally is supposed to be a family audience.
    yep, agree here too. Plus Seth probably has a half-dozen day jobs, including songwriter. The guy is an institution all on his own. Incredibly busy and successful. The guy is already a legend and he's what, not even 40?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So which troll's did ProgGreaser used to be? He's clearly one of the banned returnee's.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    anyone else been a receipient of one of his lovely private messages or am I the only lucky one?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The Oscars

Banned
    Oscar the Grouch! (sorry don't know how to post pics)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is Seth McFarlan know for anything other than Family Guy and American Dad? Although I've seen those shows (and have mixed feelings about them) I was totally unfamiliar with his name.

I think those shows have funny stuff, but I also think they dwell way too much on subjects like pedophilia. Not that they can't or shouldn't, they just have way more pedophilia jokes, scatalogical jokes, racial jokes, etc. than I need in any show. They're basically shows about sexuality and "perversion," which is ok but a little goes a long way. Yet it seems there are hundreds of episodes of these shows.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-25-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is Seth McFarlan know for anything other than Family Guy and American Dad?
    he has at least two other shows, wrote the movie "Ted" (among others) and the theme song to "Ted" which was nomimated for either a Grammy or an award last night, or both. And I'm sure I'm missing a lot too. Put together, that is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    Oscar the Grouch! (sorry don't know how to post pics)
    Here ya go!

Bore Fest '13

Painful to watch. How many musical numbers did they really need? 17 minutes for the opening? Isn't this a night to "honor our own", as they say in the industry? Then why would they have so many dumb dance numbers (including the idiotic ending -- and awkwardly placed -- song), but then kick off winners' speeches for going long??? Not only that, they made the decision to cut off speeches of those who were not prominent enough. That's just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Was not impressed with Seth. He just didn't seem fluid and relaxed and I didn't find some of his material good.

Dave, I think I preferred the TV series to the film, 'cos I knew I could sit down and watch it every week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Painful to watch. How many musical numbers did they really need? 17 minutes for the opening? Isn't this a night to "honor our own", as they say in the industry? Then why would they have so many dumb dance numbers (including the idiotic ending -- and awkwardly placed -- song), but then kick off winners' speeches for going long??? Not only that, they made the decision to cut off speeches of those who were not prominent enough. That's just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Was not impressed with Seth. He just didn't seem fluid and relaxed and I didn't find some of his material good.
    Music is a big part of film. Some films would suck without the right music.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    Music is a big part of film. Some films would suck without the right music.
    Uh, ok. That is obvious.

My opinion was that there were too much focus on the dance numbers and the intro.

Seth also is an accomplished singer & musician, and has sold out both Carnegie AND Royal Albert Halls (I'm sure it's because of his "other" notoriety, but still impressive).

Again, I completely "get" that his humor and skewed world view are not for everyone.

BTW, my daughter Elise's (the actress, for those who may remember) married name is MacFarlane, and my son-in-law is a "shirt-tail" relative of Seth's (he's only met him once).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Uh, ok. That is obvious.

My opinion was that there were too much focus on the dance numbers and the intro.
    no need to get sarcastic, Chip - my opinion is that the focus on music/dance/etc is appropriate since music plays such a big role in cinema. You didn't like and I did - the end.