Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got burned (pun intended) with an CD-R from Amazon

Sorry, you said "data discs, not audio." I wasn't aware that you'd had audio CD-Rs fail.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Sorry, you said "data discs, not audio." I wasn't aware that you'd had audio CD-Rs fail.
    I haven't - I don't make or buy them, because I don't want them. One look at this hack job with its garish, pasted-on label and uneven photocopied insert is all the proof I need that I've made the right decision all these years in buying proper CDs.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    One look at this hack job with its garish, pasted-on label and uneven photocopied insert is all the proof I need that I've made the right decision all these years in buying proper CDs.
    That's your choice. However it's well documented that pasted-on labels are the only cause for CD-R failure, in everyone's experience. So pardon me if I accept an unlabeled CD-R at par.

And every time I download an album I burn a copy "for safekeeping."

So pardon me if I accept an unlabeled CD-R at par.
    Hey, that's dynamite. I'm never doing that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Fine, don't. I guess I'd be disappointed too if I bought one, thinking it was going to be a factory CD, and it turned out to be a CD-R copy with a "garish label" and poorly-reproduced artwork. But the music is 99% of why I buy albums, so I'd only be slightly disappointed.

By the way, I notice that iTunes has that Hancock/Williams/Carter album available for download for $5.99.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 06-05-2019 at 03:18 PM.

By the way, I notice that iTunes has that Hancock/Williams/Carter album available for download for $5.99.
    Yes, but you KNOW that that is a mediocre res mp3.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Meh, maybe you're right. Alright I withdraw the dickhead comment. That was a dickhead thing to say.

Meh, maybe you're right. Alright I withdraw the dickhead comment. That was a dickhead thing to say.
    I'll edit out your quote out of respect.

i A CD-R will last as long as, or longer, than a CD. And it's a bit-perfect copy, so it sounds EXACTLY as good as the CD. You bought the album for the music, right?.
    My experience is that I've never lost a CD (over almost 30 years), but I'm starting to lose some CDRs, less than 20 years after finalizing them.
    They are more fragile (to sunlight, water and scratches), but yes, they do sound just as good as the original CD and the vinyl that you engraved without fucking around with intermediate remastering softwares.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.