Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In The Court Of King Crimson

In The Court Of King Crimson

I am currently reading Sid Smith’s long unavailable history of King Crimson, thanks to my pal J.D. lending it to me.

Totally fun and enjoyable.

There is a ton of funny and fun factoids I didn’t know or realize.

Favorite quote from RF so far: on Formentera Lady - “It sucks”. I basically agree.

Favorite thing all the players say that doesn’t surprise me in the least. Basically EVERYONE finds RF difficult to work with.

Favorite quote about that fact about RF comes from one of the other musician’s girlfriends - “Some people are born 40 years old”

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I've always really liked "Formentera Lady".

I have this book and read it when it came out. One of the better books on a band I've read and I learned a lot I didn't know about KC. I don't remember a lot of the details now, but definitely enjoyed it. Probably should tee it up for a fresh read some time.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I like that it eventually becomes ‘Sailor’s Tale’........
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Wasn't there talk awhile back about re-issuing/updating the book?

The eons are closing
    Its on the anniversary radar IIRC.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

it's definitely not the worst on that album...
    Just a weak track on their weakest 70's album (IMHO, of course)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

p.s. Am I the only person reading the book who never before realized that 'King Crimson' was a term for The Devil?

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    it's definitely not the worst on that album...
    Just a weak track on their weakest 70's album (IMHO, of course)
    I would agree with both those statements. But Fripp didn't say 'it sucks' about anything else yet.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I would agree with both those statements. But Fripp didn't say 'it sucks' about anything else yet.
    as long as you're ok with my statements, I don't really care what his Frippness says
    (remember he used to hate Lizard)

However, I did learn to reassess the power of that line-up on stage, with the 40th anny of Earthbound and Island album boxset.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

p.s. Am I the only person reading the book who never before realized that 'King Crimson' was a term for The Devil?
    That came up in a FB discussion recently. The discussion was about who named the band. Not as simple as it seems to answer. Sure, there was a song by McDonald and Sinfield that existed before the band formed. As far as I know, "the crimson King" in Sinfield's mind was an allusion to dexamyl (a.k.a. "purple hearts"), a recreational drug he used at the time. Evidently, once it became the band's name, Fripp found another definition for the name, the one you quoted, not the one Sinfield had in mind originally. [And the lyrics, although metaphorical, are clearly about a ruling king, not the devil.]
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I always considered "Formentera Lady" and "A Sailor's Tale" as one long track. My first Islands cd had it indexed that way and I was none the wiser. Btw, I love it.

off topic but an interesting read about the early Crim: https://musicaficionado.blog/2017/06...-king-crimson/
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    as long as you're ok with my statements, I don't really care what his Frippness says
    (remember he used to hate Lizard).
    1. I was mostly just amused that he reduced his criticism to "It sucks". He's usually a lot more verbose, even if he only wants to get across the fact that something sucks.

2. Lizard used to be one of my very favorite albums, period, and Fripp's dislike of it was known to me even then. But, it may be the 'old very favorite' that has held up the worst for me personally over the last 10-15 years and I took it off because I was getting very bored with it, the last time I played it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Evidently, once it became the band's name, Fripp found another definition for the name, the one you quoted, not the one Sinfield had in mind originally.
    note to self: Don't name your band after a recreational drug.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I don't know if it's mentioned in the book, but the original band name was gonna be Beer.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Sid Smith does meticulous research and is an excellent writer. I'm lucky enough to own a hardcopy of the book autographed by several past and present Crimson members (except Fripp )

Me too. Amazing song.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I'm looking forward to this book being reissued. I missed it first time around, and I have not heard anything but good about it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

I'm not reading the book, but I read about it somewhere years ago. (Tamm's book? Some KC CD booklet? A box set booklet?)

Edit: From Tamm's book:
    Sinfield’s role was also that of musical consultant, an
    in-studio audience off of whom Fripp could bounce ideas. (Williams 1971, 24) Although he never
    performed with Crimson on stage, he was very much part of the evolving group dynamics of the
    band until his departure in late 1971. It is to Sinfield that the world owes the Mephistophelean
    moniker “King Crimson”: Fripp relates that “Pete Sinfield was trying to invent a synonym for
    Beelzebub.” (Schruers 1979, 16) Beelzebub, prince of demons, the Devil – for Milton in
    Paradise Lost Beelzebub was the fallen angel who ranked just below Satan.

I think Fripp references this definition of "King Crimson" in the very fun liner notes to "Vrooom Vrooom".

He said something similar about "Formentera Lady" in Eric Tamm's book. I find the song charming.

Banned
    I like Formentera Lady. Well, I've always loved ItCotCK, ItWoP, Lizard and Islands more than LTiA, SaBB and Red. These first four albums are more beautiful imo. Regarding lslands, I think that alike previous KC albums, it's one of iconic masterpieces of Progressive rock in its heydays and an album with an amazing title-track. Islands the title-track is probably the last really great Crimsons' song imo.

A great vid that RF didn't shut it down.
    Last edited by daoubourg; 06-05-2019 at 03:42 AM.

I am currently reading Sid Smith’s long unavailable history of King Crimson, thanks to my pal J.D. lending it to me.

Totally fun and enjoyable.

There is a ton of funny and fun factoids I didn’t know or realize.

Favorite quote from RF so far: on Formentera Lady - “It sucks”. I basically agree.

Favorite thing all the players say that doesn’t surprise me in the least. Basically EVERYONE finds RF difficult to work with.

Favorite quote about that fact about RF comes from one of the other musician’s girlfriends - “Some people are born 40 years old”

Yes! I picked up In The Court of King Crimson when it first came out and it's still one of my favorite books about rock music. I learned a lot about KC from reading it and I'm looking forward to the revised version that's coming out later this year.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I've been waiting on a reprint of this book for years, I hope it comes out sooner rather than never. I always understood that the Crimson King was a reference to the Devil/Satan.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.