Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Concert Goers

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    I think that the bigger problem is the hyper-sensitivity of some concert goers who think that they should have all the same conveniences of watching a movie in their living rooms.

you mean the convenience of having some mouthbreather shut their yap up during a song? yeah, that is really outrageous, expecting someone to shut the fuck up so you can hear the music you paid $50-$150 to hear.

Most of the shows I go to are pretty loud. talk away, I won't hear it. I do get pissed off by people holding up phones. Enjoy the show, or get thrown out. As far as the generations go, it was much worse in the 70's, with all sorts of drunken brawls, and drugged out people throwing up on you.

Ushers? You must be kidding. The only thing that they MIGHT do is to help you find your seat. On the whole, most concert goers are better behaved than back in the day, especially the 40-60 crowd. Phone cams, while annoying, are basically innocuous and certainly unavoidable. They're here to stay. I don't care what Chrissie Hynde says. What's she gonna do? Hell, she should be happy that anyone would want to take her picture.
    I think that the bigger problem is the hyper-sensitivity of some concert goers who think that they should have all the same conveniences of watching a movie in their living rooms.
    I was thinking the same thing. When I first started going to concerts (my first was 1979) it was not unusual for people to be lighting firecrackers in the arena, smoke (pot and cigs) so thick that you could not see across to the other side, people pissing in the sinks and trashcans in the bathrooms, people passed out in the bathrooms and corridors. I don’t know, today seems rather mild compared to back then. There was always an element of the crowd that was there for the music and some that were just there for the party and a lot of people somewhere in between. I don’t think that part of it has really changed all that much.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think it has more to do with common courtesy than anything. That's something that seems to have disappeared these days. I think the 80s had a lot to do with it. It was a very "me" decade. I especially see this in business settings. There's a rampant disregard for professional courtesy from many of those who grew up during that decade.
    this is the most ridiculous generalization I have ever heard..but thanks, it was a good laugh. Actually, the current generation seems to be more self-consumed than most. Not everyone of course, nowadays it's all about the "I"-pod, "I"-pad, "I"-Phone, "MY"space, etc etc - it's all about "LOOK AT ME and what I just posted on Facebook". Come to think of it, every generation thinks there is the best and the ones before and after suck, so no point in even bringing it up!

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgGreaser View Post
    you mean the convenience of having some mouthbreather shut their yap up during a song? yeah, that is really outrageous, expecting someone to shut the fuck up so you can hear the music you paid $50-$150 to hear.
    In the several hundreds of shows I've seen since 1972, I might have had this problem twice or three times, and while the price of the ticket has changed, the environment pretty much remains the same. You deal with it the best you can. Most people are not intentionally trying to offend, but are just caught up in the moment, and when it's pointed out in an unconfrontational manner, they'll usually quiet down. If not, then you can take it to the ushers and see how that works for ya.

In the several hundreds of shows I've seen since 1972, I might have had this problem twice or three times, and while the price of the ticket has changed, the environment pretty much remains the same. You deal with it the best you can. Most people are not intentionally trying to offend, but are just caught up in the moment, and when it's pointed out in an unconfrontational manner, they'll usually quiet down. If not, then you can take it to the ushers and see how that works for ya.

I've been going to concerts since the mid 70s, and with few exceptions, the amount of times where people were talking away LOUDLY and CONSTANTLY, with no regard for the people around them, and who got OFFENDED when asked politely several times to quiet down DURING the SONGS, has increased tenfold over the last decade or so. This younger generation of concert goers seems to regard concerts as some kind of communal social experience, not just between songs, but during songs, as if you are entitled to have loud conversations during concerts as if its their right, which is of course the opposite of the norm. Try doing that during a Beethoven symphony in a concert hall. There should be very little difference in terms of respecting other people's desire to hear the music.

and intention is not the issue. Its called disregard and lack of basic common courtesy. If someone behind me is yapping away in my ear during songs, that is intentional, because the mouthbreather is intentionally talking, not accidentally talking.

I agree with all of this and I try to keep my camera usage to a minimum and sit close enough and use a camera that I do not have to hold up over my head to shoot. I do however like to get some photos as a memento of the show and if they are good I will share a few but most of the stuff I have photographed remains on my hard drive. I never take a video unless permitted and only video of a few minutes of something I really like by the artist. Most of it, in my opinion, is not good enough to share and if I were the artist I would appreciate it not being shown. The video never leaves my hard drive unless asked by the band to do so. I have shared 1 so far. I don't use my phone at all unless it is to check the time. I hope to be courteous about it and if you ever feel I am not just ask me to stop and I will.

meimjustalawnmower
    and intention is not the issue. Its called disregard and lack of basic common courtesy. If someone behind me is yapping away in my ear during songs, that is intentional, because the mouthbreather is intentionally talking, not accidentally talking.
    Well, I'm sorry that you're having such bad luck at concerts. Hope you can work it out somehow.

The Perfect Example!

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    I agree with all of this and I try to keep my camera usage to a minimum and sit close enough and use a camera that I do not have to hold up over my head to shoot. I do however like to get some photos as a memento of the show and if they are good I will share a few but most of the stuff I have photographed remains on my hard drive. I never take a video unless permitted and only video of a few minutes of something I really like by the artist. Most of it, in my opinion, is not good enough to share and if I were the artist I would appreciate it not being shown. The video never leaves my hard drive unless asked by the band to do so. I have shared 1 so far. I don't use my phone at all unless it is to check the time. I hope to be courteous about it and if you ever feel I am not just ask me to stop and I will.
    I must say that during a CalProg show, I never notice you at all. Knowing my job there, that is definitely a good thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I must say that during a CalProg show, I never notice you at all. Knowing my job there, that is definitely a good thing!!
    That is good to know. Thanks Gruno.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I truly miss the '70s concert experience. The best progressive rock music and a fantastic free environment. I still consistently have 2-3 shows lined up and there are very minor inconveniences but really no problem overall.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    this is the most ridiculous generalization I have ever heard..but thanks, it was a good laugh.
    Good, since you feel that way, I must be onto something.

nowadays it's all about the "I"-pod, "I"-pad, "I"-Phone,
    The "I" is for Internet, dummy. But thanks, it was a good laugh.

it's all about "LOOK AT ME and what I just posted
    Sound familiar?

Banned
    Good, since you feel that way, I must be onto something.

The "I" is for Internet, dummy. But thanks, it was a good laugh.

Sound familiar?
    nice...you resorted to namecalling - your a class act Ronmac. Are you sure you didn't grow up in the 80's - After all, anyone who grew up in the 80's is disrespectful.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I truly miss the '70s concert experience. The best progressive rock music and a fantastic free environment. I still consistently have 2-3 shows lined up and there are very minor inconveniences but really no problem overall.
    i'm on this side of the fence. Always a few shows lined and few problems. Rock on.

nice...you resorted to namecalling - your a class act Ronmac. Are you sure you didn't grow up in the 80's - After all, anyone who grew up in the 80's is disrespectful.
    Respect is something to be earned.

Sticks and stones, Mary.

For the record, I stated:

There's a rampant disregard for professional courtesy from many of those who grew up during that decade.
    So, try not to twist my words.

Banned
    yes dear

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I guess we should be glad no is setting off fire crackers or cherry bombs, like the US Floyd shows in the late 70s.

I hate the phone cameras and all that, but I have to agree that overall the crowds (in the US) aren't too bad. BUT, I also agree that crowds at NEARfest were a blessing in that everyone was very likeminded. ProgDay too - I remember last ProgDay a dude set up his umbrella so it was really blocking my view - I went over and told him, and he was super polite in moving it right away. ProgDay is awesome, and the crowd is too.

Music certainly has taken a back seat. It's seems to be more about being there and, more importantly, being seen there.
    Agreed. Taking pictures has replaced dancing and enjoying yourself.

Anyone remember dancing on here ?

Music certainly has taken a back seat. It's seems to be more about being there and, more importantly, being seen there.
    In the case of the OP, the wife oprobably didn't want to be there in the first place, but was probably semi-forced if she wanted to spend a bit of time with the hubby....

But yeaj, I just don't get it myself.... unless I'd be bored to hell, because I didn't like the concert... and found ways to distract myself.... unfortunately, the audience part of the hall is too dark to read a book quietly
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Does anyone remember laughter? (Robert Plant, The Song Remains the Same film)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Agreed. Taking pictures has replaced dancing and enjoying yourself.

You are asking this on a prog board?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Does anyone remember laughter? (Robert Plant, The Song Remains the Same film)
    Which I always considered a dumb ad-lib. "No, Robert, what exactly is laughter?" Of course, considering the lyrics of "Stairway"...

I have no problem with electronics. If people want to waste their time and money, let them. If anything, I'm envious that everyone has a nicer phone than me! I take photos with a digital camera, and I don't use the flash, and I don't spend the entire show doing it, especially since my camera is a cheapo that takes mostly blurry pics anyway. It's nice to have a photographic memento of the experience, especially since I'm not able to attend a lot of shows.

What I don't like is the constant talking during the performance. I realize for some folks, this is a social event and they need to connect, but that is what a preshow or after-party is for. I mostly go to shows alone, if I can afford to go at all, and I'm there for the music. If I run into people I know, I'll say hello between the songs.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Rubber bands. A pocketful. Somebody holds a phone up in front of my face while I'm trying to watch a show, they'll get it whacked with a rubber band.

I agree about the 70s; never went to a bad show, where inconsiderate bastards ruined it. Nowadays? Consideration for others, and common courtesy, don't exist anymore. Thus, the rubber bands. And I'm a pretty good shot...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess we should be glad no is setting off fire crackers or cherry bombs, like the US Floyd shows in the late 70s.
    On the live Album Two for the Show by Kansas I am not sure if it is during Dust in the Wind or the acoustic guitar part afterwards but someone sets of a string of firecrackers.