Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying Colors reveal info on next album ‘Third Degree’ and tour dates

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Flying Colors reveal info on next album ‘Third Degree’ and tour dates

Glenside!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Cool! I liked their last two albums. Looking forward to hearing this one.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Glenside!
    The Keswick was more than half empty last time maybe 500 people in a 1300-seat hall. Sadly, I will miss them this time, being booked on a cruise. Their show was stellar; Casey is a fine, fine singer and front-man who, IMO, raises everybody else's game.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    The Keswick was more than half empty last time maybe 500 people in a 1300-seat hall. Sadly, I will miss them this time, being booked on a cruise. Their show was stellar; Casey is a fine, fine singer and front-man who, IMO, raises everybody else's game.
    It's also the weekend of Progstock in nearby New Jersey. So I will miss Flying Colors also.

Kind of too bad the Chicago / Arcadia date is a week after Progtoberfest. Would have been a perfect headliner.

It'll be interesting to hear Steve Morse's contribution, since he transitioned out of necessity from fiery to more thoughtful and expressive.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Looks like another trip to St. Charles for me!

If I'm sitting in front, which I will be, I don't turn around to see whose behind me. I know that these guys will play the best show possible and not fret about how many people are in the hall. I give them all the credit possible for doing this. When I go it's really just between me and the band. I find this to be true with most of the shows I attend, (I can't think off hand of any band that does not give it their all regardless of attendance).The icing on the cake is having Mike Portnoy in the house. I love everyone in Flying Colors, and really honored to have them come into my neighborhood, they could have played anywhere and they choose the Keswick! Can't wait, thanks guys.

Love Flying Colors and have a personal connection with Casey since we are both from Austin and have had the chance to chat a few times.

There's something seriously wrong that I have to choose between Progstock and Flying Colors. I mean it's great that they're not playing on a weeknight but did they really have to pick THAT weekend?!?!?

...but yeah, there's incredibly poor "coordination" between festivals and some of the "bigger" bands that play shows on their own. I think there should be a "no fly zone" around the few festivals that are left IMHO. Hell at this point, I kind of think everyone left who likes prog should attend every festival they can and bands probably shouldn't bother to play any shows that aren't festivals. It's gotten that bad. At least at that point, the festivals are well attended and at least for a few weekends a month we can all pretend there's a "live prog scene".

Ember
    From Portnoy's post it sounds like these were the only dates (along with a paltry four in Europe) that all five members could mesh their schedules. The dates are so widely spaced, both in space and time, it's more a series of one-offs than a tour. I am very bummed out to miss them as they go by.

With US ticket sales not great last time, and with their European dates (where I assume they sell out every show) curtailed even more, I wonder at the motivation for doing a 9-stop itinerary. Maybe producing a live album/disc is worth the effort (the previous two were excellent).

Is this what "touring" has become? An exercise in getting onto a stage just to videotape it so people can watch it on their schedules instead of showing up at the concerts?

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    The Keswick was more than half empty last time maybe 500 people in a 1300-seat hall.
    If this is the case, why would the Keswick book them again

The tour dates coincide with the very few days Steve Morse has off from touring with Deep Purple. There is no other conspiracy or bad planning involved.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Is this what "touring" has become? An exercise in getting onto a stage just to videotape it so people can watch it on their schedules instead of showing up at the concerts?
    Works for me. It gets their performances out for more people (especially to those in isolated places where few rock acts perform) instead of wearing down musicians financially, mentally and physically making them tour to every damn city in the known universe.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Ember
    Nobody claimed this was a “tour,” and in any case no, it isn’t. Most successful bands support themselves primarily through live shows, because downloads and disc sales are not particularly profitable. FC is unusual in that it’s a second (or third) job for the members.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post

The Keswick is just a venue. The date was open, and the promoter met their price.

A venue that makes money per seat filled

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This conversation just made me realize that here in Chicago, we've got Progtoberfest the 12th and 13th, Saga on the 16th, and FC on the 17th! I'm going to have to take a week off work.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This conversation just made me realize that here in Chicago, we've got Progtoberfest the 12th and 13th, Saga on the 16th, and FC on the 17th! I'm going to have to take a week off work. [emoji38]
    Wth are they gonna get for Progtoberfest?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This conversation just made me realize that here in Chicago, we've got Progtoberfest the 12th and 13th, Saga on the 16th, and FC on the 17th! I'm going to have to take a week off work.
    You forgot Robert Berry's 3.2 Live at Reggies on Oct 19th.

...but yeah, there's incredibly poor "coordination" between festivals and some of the "bigger" bands that play shows on their own. I think there should be a "no fly zone" around the few festivals that are left IMHO. Hell at this point, I kind of think everyone left who likes prog should attend every festival they can and bands probably shouldn't bother to play any shows that aren't festivals. It's gotten that bad. At least at that point, the festivals are well attended and at least for a few weekends a month we can all pretend there's a "live prog scene".
    Bolded the interesting idea for a topic.

I don't know if I would go for this. However, from working and touring extensively with other live shows, often there are No Compete clauses written into a performer's contract from the venue. Obviously, those can vary. Most times the venue states that the artist cannot perform in another venue within a certain amount of miles and within pre-determined dates. Tough call for prog bands, as they want to play as many shows possible that aren't spread out too far in regards to distance.

Festivals are a tough call these days. You have bands being repeated at festivals, some the very next year or soon after. Sorta cheapens the effect of having a festival if the same performers are there from one year to the next.

I think it's more about the formula that Morse & Portnoy have in place: studio album - tour/select shows - film show - live DVD/CD release - repeat ad infinitum

They're not the pioneers with this type of career format, but they seem to be in cruise control with it. I am $hocked that either haven't capitalized further by offering ambient room mic recordings of every live show they perform. If I was a fan of either, I would eat that up.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I believe this was answered by someone who appears to know the actual details. In other cases, there are a bevy of reasons for booking a previously low-attended show into the same venue. Lower guarantee asked by promoter/performer? Split of the gate? Advertising splits? Venue not booked and would rather be lit than go dark for the night? We can do this all day...

Keep in mind that a venue might welcome back a previously half-filled show if the venue sold a decent amount of concessions. And here the list can go on and on, also.