Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Flying Colors reveal info on next album ‘Third Degree’ and tour dates

After listening for a couple of weeks on Spotify, I've purchased the HD Tracks version of the album and I think it sounds great. The bass playing is better featured on this record than the first two, I think, which is nice. Some very interesting playing all around. The playing is not as "in your face" as a lot of Prog music - it's just really good rock music with some very good playing on it. Too bad I missed the live show in NY - maybe some day they will be able to work in some more dates.

Here's a review!

Did anyone order the limited edition blue marble vinyl version of the album and actually receive it? I ordered it early this month but instead today received the limited CD box + poster instead (which I already bought from Amazon weeks ago). I emailed Mascot through the website, but I'm not expecting to get what I ordered, since the marble vinyl was taken off the site and I'm guessing is gone. Very disappointing. And judging by the haphazard way the poster was thrown in the package I received, Mascot (or the company that does their packing/shipping) is doing a very sloppy/substandard job getting these out. It's too bad, because this album deserves better.
    Last edited by devoidzer0; 10-26-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    Did anyone order the limited edition blue marble vinyl version of the album and actually receive it? I ordered it early this month but instead today received the limited CD box + poster instead (which I already bought from Amazon weeks ago). I emailed Mascot through the website, but I'm not expecting to get what I ordered, since the marble vinyl was taken off the site and I'm guessing is gone. Very disappointing. And judging by the haphazard way the poster was thrown in the package I received, Mascot (or the company that does their packing/shipping) is doing a very sloppy/substandard job getting these out. It's too bad, because this album deserves better.
    I wasn't thrilled with how they packed the poster with the Limited CD either, but there's not much that could be done with it without shipping it separately. Still digging this and the concert was more than two weeks ago. Can't get it out of my head (so to speak.)

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I wasn't thrilled with how they packed the poster with the Limited CD either, but there's not much that could be done with it without shipping it separately. Still digging this and the concert was more than two weeks ago. Can't get it out of my head (so to speak.)
    They could've put it between two rigid pieces of cardboard, like I do when mailing magazines/flats that I sell, to not have it get creased and folded when it's supposed to be a bonus selling point for ordering the album from them. That might've driven up the postage cost slightly, but if I had bought this edition from them I'd rather pay a couple dollars more in postage to get a non-mangled poster.

I'm still loving this album a lot. I prefer the mix on Portnoy's DVD and have been mostly listening to that. I can almost see why the bonus song wasn't included on the album. Kind of seems like it doesn't belong though.

I've finally gotten around to this album, and it's my favorite of all three of their albums. There's a balance of styles on each song -- they feel like consistent wholes, with their mood and tonal changes feeling natural. "You Are Not Alone" has grown on me, too. I also really enjoy Morse's and Larue's musicianship. Larue's bass work on "Guardian" and "Geronimo" is stunning!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I've finally gotten around to this album, and it's my favorite of all three of their albums. There's a balance of styles on each song -- they feel like consistent wholes, with their mood and tonal changes feeling natural. "You Are Not Alone" has grown on me, too. I also really enjoy Morse's and Larue's musicianship. Larue's bass work on "Guardian" and "Geronimo" is stunning!
    That's what I love about it. It all sounds very natural.....

I really like “Geronimo”, with its funky bass line and the Steely Dan-like vocal arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I really like “Geronimo”, with its funky bass line and the Steely Dan-like vocal arrangements.
    I enjoy that too. I'm happy they felt comfortable enough to put something like that on the album. There really shouldn't be any boundaries with this band given the talent involved.

I’ve got an extra copy of the two disc release. Not sure why? Maybe I forgot I had already ordered it...Damn that Irish Death Ale!

Anyway, if someone wants it, pm me. If you live in Tacoma, I’ll hand it over free. Poster too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    They could've put it between two rigid pieces of cardboard, like I do when mailing magazines/flats that I sell, to not have it get creased and folded when it's supposed to be a bonus selling point for ordering the album from them. That might've driven up the postage cost slightly, but if I had bought this edition from them I'd rather pay a couple dollars more in postage to get a non-mangled poster.
    I got two pieces of cardboard with mine and they are supposedly called coasters. Funny looking things......

So the DVD arrived yesterday. Quite cool, except the back screen videos shouldn't have been superimposed so much. You Are Not Alone is much better in context, seeing as Casey went out there in a fucking hurricane to save people and that gives the song much more gravitas.

Liking Mask Machine and Place In Your World more than I did but still having a hard time with those songs for some reason. Otherwise, a stellar effort. Hard to dislike this band even when a song misses here and there.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    DV/CD set arrived yesterday . We listened to the show last night and will probably check out the DVD tonight. Audio sounds great and the band sounds a bit more polished than when we saw them in NYC in October last year. (The new Ayreon also came with my order from Mascot so I also have that to look forward to this weekend!)

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    DV/CD set arrived yesterday . We listened to the show last night and will probably check out the DVD tonight. Audio sounds great and the band sounds a bit more polished than when we saw them in NYC in October last year. (The new Ayreon also came with my order from Mascot so I also have that to look forward to this weekend!)
    Are you talking about Third Stage: Live in London?

Ember
    I agree that they went overboard with the video overlays. But generally the image quality is very good, and the audio (5.1 DTS) is excellent, clear and well balanced. I’m afraid I felt the whole “You Are Not Alone” thing was a bit self-serving. But I feel that way about people pointing cameras at themselves in general.

The virtuosity is sometimes overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Are you talking about Third Stage: Live in London?
    Yes!

Watched the DVD last night and both wife and I dug it big time. When I mentioned how good the harmonies sounded, my wife suggested they had been sweetened.

Ember
    Three pretty good singers, though. And while I missed this tour, I saw them last time in Philly, and the vocals sounded great.

That's what I told her...though admittedly I did notice Mike sounding better than I've heard him ...