Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 76

Thread: Flying Colors reveal info on next album ‘Third Degree’ and tour dates

  1. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Bolded the interesting idea for a topic.

    I don't know if I would go for this. However, from working and touring extensively with other live shows, often there are No Compete clauses written into a performer's contract from the venue. Obviously, those can vary. Most times the venue states that the artist cannot perform in another venue within a certain amount of miles and within pre-determined dates. Tough call for prog bands, as they want to play as many shows possible that aren't spread out too far in regards to distance.

    Festivals are a tough call these days. You have bands being repeated at festivals, some the very next year or soon after. Sorta cheapens the effect of having a festival if the same performers are there from one year to the next.




    I think it's more about the formula that Morse & Portnoy have in place: studio album - tour/select shows - film show - live DVD/CD release - repeat ad infinitum

    They're not the pioneers with this type of career format, but they seem to be in cruise control with it. I am $hocked that either haven't capitalized further by offering ambient room mic recordings of every live show they perform. If I was a fan of either, I would eat that up.




    I believe this was answered by someone who appears to know the actual details. In other cases, there are a bevy of reasons for booking a previously low-attended show into the same venue. Lower guarantee asked by promoter/performer? Split of the gate? Advertising splits? Venue not booked and would rather be lit than go dark for the night? We can do this all day...

    Keep in mind that a venue might welcome back a previously half-filled show if the venue sold a decent amount of concessions. And here the list can go on and on, also.
    As I can attest after being at the Keswick many times, they aren't making too much from concessions as there is a great pub right across the street. And I dont think they care if they dont have a show that night, Glenside has a 11pm curfew...lol

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  2. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Delaware County PA
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    A venue that makes money per seat filled
    Depends. This particular show is promoted by AEG. Contracts between promoters and venues can vary wildly, and may include various types of guarantees, including a minimum number of events per year, a minimum or flat fee per event, percentages of ticket sales or merch sales or concessions or any combination of these and other factors. The Keswick does occasionally book acts on its own (like local productions of musicals), but the overwhelming majority are booked by promoters like AEG and BRE, and it’s up to them to decide if the venue is the right size and if they can sell enough tickets to make the event profitable. The venue gets paid regardless, although its concessionaires may have a bad night.

  3. #28
    I can't speak for anyone else but I do know I can't sit through 4 or 5 bands plus intermissions. I'm much more comfortable spreading out my concerts over time. Also there is usually more than enough for me to take in and focus on with one show, and then i'm happy to watch a Bluray of the band when it suits me. But maybe I'm just getting old.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Bolded the interesting idea for a topic.

    I don't know if I would go for this. However, from working and touring extensively with other live shows, often there are No Compete clauses written into a performer's contract from the venue. Obviously, those can vary. Most times the venue states that the artist cannot perform in another venue within a certain amount of miles and within pre-determined dates. Tough call for prog bands, as they want to play as many shows possible that aren't spread out too far in regards to distance.

    Festivals are a tough call these days. You have bands being repeated at festivals, some the very next year or soon after. Sorta cheapens the effect of having a festival if the same performers are there from one year to the next.

    I think it's more about the formula that Morse & Portnoy have in place: studio album - tour/select shows - film show - live DVD/CD release - repeat ad infinitum
    I get the "no compete" clause, I'm just talking about bands that are any at the level of playing festivals once in a while and not cushy with cruises so much that they're asked back again....and again as you describe. As a band vying for a spot on that friggin' boat, BOY does it get my goat regarding the damn cruise's "repeat appearances". But I digress.

    I'm simply saying venues are drying up and there's no shortage of prog bands trying to be more than studio entities and they've got nowhere to play and the ones who do play (like us) draw shit. And often the reason they draw shit is because there's competition not only from non-musical stuff but because some prog events happen on the same night in the same towns more often than you think. It's all just disheartening to the extreme and I've been in such a funk for the last year as I watch it continue around me with the only positive being that at least we're not in the mix anymore getting disappointed on a regular basis.

    So that leads me to thinking my friend's (in another prog band) idea to have a sort of "strike" as making more and more sense. Some call it "taking your ball and going home" but I call it narrowing down possibilities so that at least the bigger gigs (festivals or almost festivals) can get a decent draw. Of course this is nearly impossible because we can't all get in touch with each other to do this. There's also a few young bands that just play constantly and would think we're insane.

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else but I do know I can't sit through 4 or 5 bands plus intermissions. I'm much more comfortable spreading out my concerts over time. Also there is usually more than enough for me to take in and focus on with one show, and then i'm happy to watch a Bluray of the band when it suits me. But maybe I'm just getting old.
    I appreciate your honesty. Yeah, you sound like someone who would never come out to see my band despite whatever accolades we've amassed and achievements including decent CD/download sales. We did a tour last year where we looked at towns we could get gigs in and looked at our mailing list and thought "we can get these people on our mailing list from these towns to come see us because we've never been to Cleveland...ever". So we drive out there from NJ and 2 people show up. I wanted to commit suicide. I also started resenting people's inability to make it out that night. It sucks when the main conversation subject post gig that you have with the 2 people who showed up is how shitty a turnout you had. They massage your ego telling you how good you were but it really sours you from getting on a stage again. At least in the 90's we knew we had no fan base and weren't fazed when we played to empty clubs. Now we sell CDs and downloads-probably more than many of our peers-but it means dick.

  5. #30
    Very happy. I got my ticket for the NYC show. Now the wait till October.

  6. #31
    I'm mainly referring to festivals, with all day music. I've been to the Prog House, Keswick, Kennett Flash, Sellersville Theater many times for concerts with more than 1 band. I'm sorry I haven't seen 3RD Degree yet, sounding like someone who would never come out to see you play is not what I said. Most of the shows I attend and probably most others also, involve getting tickets for a certain night which is best for my schedule, and getting back home again. I really don't have any control over who else does what. I simply meant that the Festival setup doesn't work for me.

  7. #32
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    You forgot Robert Berry's 3.2 Live at Reggies on Oct 19th.
    And speaking of the "no fly zone", Kansas is playing that same night in Waukegan!

  8. #33
    I am a big fan of this band and will try to attend one of the gigs. With 3 albums in their catalog, it will make for a nice set list. I was hoping that Casey might decide to lose that hat after 5 years but the latest photo still shows him sporting that hat. But I guess I'm being pretty petty with my hat comments - he's a terrific singer. I enjoy his soulful rock voice in a prog context. I hope the 3rd album showcases Dave LaRue a bit more that the first two. What a great bass player. So excited for this record. Second Nature is one of my favorite albums of the past few years. I know these guys all have other bands so I am very thankful that they are finding time to get together and create some music.

  9. #34
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    I get the "no compete" clause, I'm just talking about bands that are any at the level of playing festivals once in a while and not cushy with cruises so much that they're asked back again....and again as you describe. As a band vying for a spot on that friggin' boat, BOY does it get my goat regarding the damn cruise's "repeat appearances". But I digress.

    I'm simply saying venues are drying up and there's no shortage of prog bands trying to be more than studio entities and they've got nowhere to play and the ones who do play (like us) draw shit. And often the reason they draw shit is because there's competition not only from non-musical stuff but because some prog events happen on the same night in the same towns more often than you think. It's all just disheartening to the extreme and I've been in such a funk for the last year as I watch it continue around me with the only positive being that at least we're not in the mix anymore getting disappointed on a regular basis.

    So that leads me to thinking my friend's (in another prog band) idea to have a sort of "strike" as making more and more sense. Some call it "taking your ball and going home" but I call it narrowing down possibilities so that at least the bigger gigs (festivals or almost festivals) can get a decent draw. Of course this is nearly impossible because we can't all get in touch with each other to do this. There's also a few young bands that just play constantly and would think we're insane.



    I appreciate your honesty. Yeah, you sound like someone who would never come out to see my band despite whatever accolades we've amassed and achievements including decent CD/download sales. We did a tour last year where we looked at towns we could get gigs in and looked at our mailing list and thought "we can get these people on our mailing list from these towns to come see us because we've never been to Cleveland...ever". So we drive out there from NJ and 2 people show up. I wanted to commit suicide. I also started resenting people's inability to make it out that night. It sucks when the main conversation subject post gig that you have with the 2 people who showed up is how shitty a turnout you had. They massage your ego telling you how good you were but it really sours you from getting on a stage again. At least in the 90's we knew we had no fan base and weren't fazed when we played to empty clubs. Now we sell CDs and downloads-probably more than many of our peers-but it means dick.
    Robert, I feel your pain. It is TOUGH! We've played one of the more prog-friendly clubs in town called Martyrs' a few times. The last was with District 97 on the bill, and that was our weakest draw of them all! I don't get it. What I've been doing more recently is booking shows with tribute bands (Steve Vai, Porcupine Tree, Rush) and they've gone great. We pick up new fans and sell a lot of merch, and often draw as many people as the tributes, so that's inspiring. I know some bands won't "degrade" themselves by playing with cover bands, but if there's one thing I've learned through decades of gigging, it's "bring the music to the people". I should mention however that we're only playing locally as of now. As far as mailing lists and people clicking "going" on Facebook events - that sadly don't mean shit. Expect 10% to actually show.

  10. #35
    We used to play before Rush tribute band Power Windows in the 90’s. Didn’t do all that much for us because 1. Most people who attend tribute shows have zero interest in original bands even if they’re doing something a bit like the tribute and 2. They rarely showed up early enough to check us out


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #36
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    365
    Here in the Chicago area, cover bands have taken over so much of the scene that I think I'm seeing a bit of backlash and renewed interest in original music. Saturday night, I went to the club we're having our record release show at this coming Saturday to pass out cards promoting the show. People actually seemed interested and were asking questions about what we're like, commenting that they love original music, etc. It was an older crowd there to see Zeppelin and Sammy Hagar tribute bands. Fortunately, we have a really close knit prog scene here with a lot of great bands and fans. And speaking of promoting, it's just non-stop these days. It's hard to keep up and stay visible on all the social media outlets, especially when I'm the only one in the band REALLY doing anything on the business end. Probably my least favorite part of the whole band thing. I hate to come off as insincere, but you just gotta keep pushing whatever it is you're doing, whether it's a show, or a new album (which comes out Friday...)

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    The Keswick was more than half empty last time maybe 500 people in a 1300-seat hall. Sadly, I will miss them this time, being booked on a cruise. Their show was stellar; Casey is a fine, fine singer and front-man who, IMO, raises everybody else's game.
    It's going to be awesome. Can't wait. I expect it will be even better than the last Keswick show.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    From Portnoy's post it sounds like these were the only dates (along with a paltry four in Europe) that all five members could mesh their schedules. The dates are so widely spaced, both in space and time, it's more a series of one-offs than a tour. I am very bummed out to miss them as they go by.

    With US ticket sales not great last time, and with their European dates (where I assume they sell out every show) curtailed even more, I wonder at the motivation for doing a 9-stop itinerary. Maybe producing a live album/disc is worth the effort (the previous two were excellent).
    Those live albums/DVDs are great. That first one was magical.

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Is this what "touring" has become? An exercise in getting onto a stage just to videotape it so people can watch it on their schedules instead of showing up at the concerts?
    Just wondering if you generate more from a tour or a DVD? Guess that would depend on the band and the tour.

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    If this is the case, why would the Keswick book them again
    I would imagine there are bands with a worse track record and the need is to have the place booked every night.

    I thought there might have been less than 500 at the Keswick last time but I didn't exactly look back after the show started.

  16. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Just wondering if you generate more from a tour or a DVD? Guess that would depend on the band and the tour.
    If you add up ticket sales vs. what we make from putting out a video to our worldwide audience, the video might win, even at our “level”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #42
    Member Garion81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    46
    Love this band as it is one band my wife and I enjoy equally. As for Fests and whatever the problem with touring for this band is Steve Morse's schedule with Deep Purple. I think they would be far more popular if they could tour like The Neal Morse Band or some of Mike Portnoy's bands do. It has been 7 years since the inception of this groups and they deserve a proper tour. Maybe Deep purple will call it quits one of these years and this can happen. looking forward to seeing them in Ventura in September.

  18. #43
    Here is a new piece from the upcoming Flying Colors record. I've only listened once but I thought it was interesting, in a good way. Really enjoyed the middle section.
    Last edited by Sean; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:51 PM.

  19. #44
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,473
    They seem to like Muse....

  20. #45
    Today I pre-ordered the album without having heard anything from it. Just going by their last two releases, I think I’m going to like it. Hopefully that’s true!

  21. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,124
    I'm not a huge fan of that track More, but there are usually a couple of songs I don't like on an FC album so hopefully it will be another good one.

  22. #47
    Member Boceephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    They seem to like Muse....
    Yeah! It does sound like MUSE, but I like MUSE. so that's okay.

  23. #48
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of that track More, but there are usually a couple of songs I don't like on an FC album so hopefully it will be another good one.
    My thoughts as well.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  24. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Here is a new piece from the upcoming Flying Colors record. I've only listened once but I thought it was interesting, in a good way. Really enjoyed the middle section.


    Wow! And I mean that in a good way.

    I've had tickets for weeks now figuring I wouldn't be disappointed given who is involved and how much I like the first two.

    I'm so psyched they are still moving the needle. This is going to be great live.

  25. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,396
    I love Muse!!!
    Prog's Not Dead

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •