Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson - Heaven & Earth Boxset

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    True, but for me, being able to put the high res material on my DAP is essential, especially when preparing to write, as it means I can listen to the album anywhere I happen to be...and still in full or higher resolution (whatever and however it's provided).

But it's a big investment of time, though most of the time is wait time. So, while it took the better part of two afternoons to do it, its all done now and I can put whatever I want on my DAP so I can also listen when I got to Montréal at the end of the month for the jazz fest.

Cheers!
    J
    Fantastic review by the way! Detailed and informative as always. It may help steer me though this ocean of material!
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

True, but for me, being able to put the high res material on my DAP is essential, especially when preparing to write, as it means I can listen to the album anywhere I happen to be...and still in full or higher resolution (whatever and however it's provided).

But it's a big investment of time, though most of the time is wait time. So, while it took the better part of two afternoons to do it, its all done now and I can put whatever I want on my DAP so I can also listen when I got to Montréal at the end of the month for the jazz fest.

Cheers!
    J
    I'm with you on this. And it didn't take very long to rip the CDs either, just about an hour last night. The DVDs and blu-ray will obviously take a bit longer but it will be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Fantastic review by the way! Detailed and informative as always. It may help steer me though this ocean of material!
    Then my work is done! Thanks for the kind words and for toughing it our through the whole article!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m getting tired of waiting for my set to arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’m getting tired of waiting for my set to arrive...
    So tired
    Tired of waiting
    Tired of waiting for Cri-im-so
    I was a lonely nerd
    I had nobody till I met Fripp
    But Fripp keeps-a me waiting
    All of the time
    He's such a drip.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Jed. There are children in the world who will never get a box set. Crimson, or otherwise. Be grateful.

I think "Fondle Withdrawal" is setting in.

Some children don't even have balls to rub on their box sets.

I hope that soon all children can have a KC box set. I just didn’t know that not choosing the insurance affected the speed of delivery.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

King Crimson - Heaven & Earth Boxset

It arrived! Just listening The ReconstruKction Of Light. It sounds glorious!
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 06-13-2019 at 10:53 AM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Seems like shipping is rolling out slowly no matter the source. My discs from DGM just shipped yesterday.

Ordered mine from Burning Shed Thursday evening (west coast time, so Friday in the UK); it's here already.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Mine arrived today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    For instance, Space Groove II ends with "Oooh!" at 17:31 compared to 18:59 on the original CD.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    For those that have it, can anyone say which improvs are included on the Live ConstuKction part of the set? (I've seen the general tracklist that says where the improvs came from but most of those shows have two improvs, so I'm just curious which ones made the transition)

Thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I really had hoped to have the standalone Reconstrukction sitting on my desk when I returned to work today. Amazon tracking info has it "not shipped yet," and when I went to the product page it's listed as "temporarily sold out." So much for pre-ordering.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Mine arrived today.
    Somehow Jed announces the Festival of Fondling has commenced and nary a word afterwards....

Knee deep in it I suppose. lol
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I guess I need to hang onto my Heavy Construkction 3 cd set? It looks like very little of it is contained in the box set. Or have I missed something?

Go here, and search for "Heavy". John explains.
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/heaven-...ohn-kelman.php

I'm sure y'all have seen my other thread, but just in case....my review of the Heaven & Earth box, published today at All About Jazz.
    Bit late in the day John, but thank you for this, which I read from beginning to end during a lengthy train journey last week. As ever, your careful assessment of the strengths and weaknesses is closely argued and wide-ranging in its reference, but what I thought raised this piece to a still higher level was the quotes from interviews you'd done to supplement the review. These gave invaluable background, particularly to the way in which the drum tracks on The ReConstruKction Of Light were assembled. A characteristically enlightening piece of work - many thanks once again.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Somehow Jed announces the Festival of Fondling has commenced and nary a word afterwards....

Knee deep in it I suppose. lol
    Maybe he opened the shrink wrap on this one? .......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

ReconstruKction is simply incredible. It's a brand new album, and I think it's not just due to the re-recording of the drums. Certainly the new drum parts allow the rest of the instruments some room to be heard, but there's more to it than that. The original ConstruKction was sonically dense and made me feel claustrophobic. This new version breathes. I'm hearing guitar parts that I never noticed before. I'm hearing familiar guitar parts in a more nuanced way now. ReconstruKction feels, oddly enough, like a group of musicians playing in the same room. Most of the rest of the box waits while I try to get my head around this.

That said, I've spent some time with Repercussions and Project X - Heaven & Earth, mostly because they've been on my radar forever, but I had never heard them.

Quote Originally Posted by MarksTongues View Post

That said, I've spent some time with Repercussions and Project X - Heaven & Earth, mostly because they've been on my radar forever, but I had never heard them.
    Repercussions is great! Hopefully it get now new appreciative audience as it seems it has been kind of overlooked in the past.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/