Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson - Heaven & Earth Boxset

Mine won't come til sometime after 6/14[that's now the release date according to Barnes and Noble.]......latest is on or near the 19th for delivery of this set.
    Last edited by hwkn; 06-09-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Did you opt for insurance from Burning Shed? I didn’t.

I ordered mine at a Barnes And Noble store not Burning Shed.

For those who have it, how is the 2008 New York stuff? Always curious about that period as so little music has been released from it. Imagine if they had video footage of that version?

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Mine is scheduled to arrive by 8pm tonight. NNJ area. In fact it says its at my USPS office.
    Arrived as i was leaving for dinner.

Fondling will be a late nite affair.

And i did get the insurance/ tracking.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by kenticus View Post
    For those who have it, how is the 2008 New York stuff? Always curious about that period as so little music has been released from it. Imagine if they had video footage of that version?
    While i have not heard the set yet, having seen the NYC show that tour, its a lot like a Thrak show IMO. I understand why it was a step sideways.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I wish there was a download code for the bluray live content. Not sure how I rip that without a bluray player!

Ya know, a decent blu-ray player these days would cost you significantly less than the box set...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

It’s a tricky process though. As far as I know you can’t just rip audio tracks from a Blu-Ray. I connect an external Blu-Ray drive to my Mac, and use MakeMKV to rip the content off of the disc. If it’s video content, I’m done - this process gives me MKVs that I can watch on my Mac and other devices. If it’s audio content, then I convert the MKV files to MP3. That still leaves me with big disc-long MP3 files, so then I use Logic to break them into individual files. Finally, I load all of those MP3s into iTunes with the rest of the ripped CD content. It sounds tedious, and maybe it is, but during this process I get to spend a lot of quality time with the music. (After going through this process with the Sailors’ Tales box, I was able to recognize several tracks by their waveforms, which felt good in a super dorky music/computer nerd way).

I'm sure y'all have seen my other thread, but just in case....my review of the Heaven & Earth box, published today at All About Jazz.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by MarksTongues View Post
    It’s a tricky process though. As far as I know you can’t just rip audio tracks from a Blu-Ray. I connect an external Blu-Ray drive to my Mac, and use MakeMKV to rip the content off of the disc. If it’s video content, I’m done - this process gives me MKVs that I can watch on my Mac and other devices. If it’s audio content, then I convert the MKV files to MP3. That still leaves me with big disc-long MP3 files, so then I use Logic to break them into individual files. Finally, I load all of those MP3s into iTunes with the rest of the ripped CD content. It sounds tedious, and maybe it is, but during this process I get to spend a lot of quality time with the music. (After going through this process with the Sailors’ Tales box, I was able to recognize several tracks by their waveforms, which felt good in a super dorky music/computer nerd way).
    If you use DVD Audio Extractor after MKV, you can then separate the tracks and save in a variety of audio formats. While there's no metadata, once you do it for awhile, it becomes easy to figure out different shows on blu rays like Crimson's, where they've included lots of live shows on their BRs.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by MarksTongues View Post
    I received the box yesterday and went from excitement to overwhelmed pretty quickly. Getting this music into my iTunes library is going to be quite a project. The standard CDs are no big deal, but ripping the Blu-Rays and putting everything in what feels like the right order will take some time. I’ve been waiting eagerly to dive into this stuff, but now that it’s time to do it, I think I’m going to kick back and listen for a bit. I ripped “ReconstruKction...” and I’m enjoying it - it seems like a completely different album to me.
    It took me about two days to do it all.

Good luck...but once you're done, you're golden!!
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    I wish there was a download code for the bluray live content. Not sure how I rip that without a bluray player!
    You can't. But it would be a big deal for Crimson to offer download codes for the BR content. We're talking 3.7 days of material and, since I save everything in ALAC, I can't recall how big the files would be in a native format, but even using ALAC it's almost 60Gb of material. DGM would have to have the necessary bandwidth to handle a sudden burst of download activity for so much material...and I don't know if they do.

But I see that as a significant challenge in offering BR content as downloads. That said, Grateful Dead offer their releases in 24/192 resolution from their site - not just albums (or 50th anniversary editions), but full box sets too...though they didn't offer the4 83-CD 30 Trips box in that format (they sold a USB stick), only smaller boxes in the 12-25 CD range. But I'm sure they had some IT guy figure out how much extra bandwidth they'd need to handle the demand when these things went on sale.
    John Kelman

I wouldn't mind if it was just mp3! Guess I'm buying a bluray player for the computer and then starting the process!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So did anyone else in the US order this with no tracking from Burning Shed and not receive it yet? Not complaining - next time I’d probably use the tracking.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So did anyone else in the US order this with no tracking from Burning Shed and not receive it yet? Not complaining - next time I’d probably use the tracking.
    Maybe yours got wind of what was in store for it once it arrived, and jumped off the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by hwkn View Post
    Mine won't come til sometime after 6/14[that's now the release date according to Barnes and Noble.]......latest is on or near the 19th for delivery of this set.
    Shipped from their warehouse to your home address, yes?

If shipped to the store for pick-up, I must say I am surprised as B & N rarely ships any sort of DVD or CD boxed sets into the stores any longer for fear of theft (and also because most of the stores have done away with music departments completely...)

Yeah, I worked for B & N

I also ordered with no tracking from Burning Shed and haven't received it yet.
    Not worried. It'll get here.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBill View Post
    I also ordered with no tracking from Burning Shed and haven't received it yet.
    Me too. Hoping it to arrive this week.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Got mine on Friday and only had time to listen to ProjeKct 2 "Space Groove" which I completely enjoyed. I never ventured beyond P4 back during that period.

My initial thought was of ripping all the music but I've changed my mind. First - 4 DAYS worth of material. The amount of time is overwhelming. Also, listening to P2 has convinced me that the BluRay material is best heard on my home system. Most of what I rip is for listening in the car, but that really isn't the best environment for listening.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I'm sure y'all have seen my other thread, but just in case....my review of the Heaven & Earth box, published today at All About Jazz.
    That was an epic read, but I'm still no clearer about whether the sound quality on the Construction and Power albums is significantly improved to warrant buying these the 2-disc sets.

Yes shipped to my home.

Valen, would recommend the ReconstruKction of Light at least, its improved an album I already loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    That was an epic read, but I'm still no clearer about whether the sound quality on the Construction and Power albums is significantly improved to warrant buying these the 2-disc sets.
    I'm surprised. I would have though my enthusiasm about both albums, but especially ReConstruKction, are well worth it. ReConstruKction is the album, IMO, that ConstruKction should have been...or, at least, it's one possible might have been

Power is less dramatic, but still well worth it. If you don't buy the big box, then the two two-disc releases are, imo, absolutely essential if you're a Crimson fan.

And yes...it turned out to be an epic read. Thanks for taking the time to slog through it!
    Cheers,
    John
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    My initial thought was of ripping all the music but I've changed my mind. First - 4 DAYS worth of material. The amount of time is overwhelming. Also, listening to P2 has convinced me that the BluRay material is best heard on my home system. Most of what I rip is for listening in the car, but that really isn't the best environment for listening.
    True, but for me, being able to put the high res material on my DAP is essential, especially when preparing to write, as it means I can listen to the album anywhere I happen to be...and still in full or higher resolution (whatever and however it's provided).

But it's a big investment of time, though most of the time is wait time. So, while it took the better part of two afternoons to do it, its all done now and I can put whatever I want on my DAP so I can also listen when I got to Montréal at the end of the month for the jazz fest.

Cheers!
    J
    John Kelman