Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: YES RNRHOF Bass Failure

In before the close!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Nah, I'd say it was a YES RNRHOF Bass Success.
    Agreed.

Hmmm, didn't this happen over two years ago? "Trivial" doesn't adequately portray how inconsequential this is... But this is Progressive Ears, after all...
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Hoo boy. Geddy Lee played and sounded great. I’m sure Chris would approve.
    I play bass in my Allman Brothers tribute band. I play an Eve Iona, made in Scotland and an Alembic Spoiler. No one has ever complained. Of course we all do shoot heroin for authenticity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the real failure was Steve Howe trying to play the bassline of OOALH. Geddy would have nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Hmmm, didn't this happen over two years ago? "Trivial" doesn't adequately portray how inconsequential this is... But this is Progressive Ears, after all...
    Oh....any chance to Start A Yes Thread I guess..... Next will be the OCD folks posting Lists of Yes Albums in order of perceived greatness.......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    In before the close!
    My new favourite thread, all kinds of awesome.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Most important thread ever.

I thought both Howe and Lee did well playing bass. Geddy was a huge Yes fan so I'm sure it was a blast for him to play. I do think Sherwood should have at least played on Owner and let Howe share guitar duties with Rabin. Rabin could have taken his usual solo and Howe could have taken the solo at the end.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the real failure was Steve Howe trying to play the bassline of OOALH. Geddy would have nailed it.
    I thought Steve was great on "Owner," and proved what a team player he is. (He played a Rick, by the way)

The problem must be that Geddy is the only one hitting the right notes.

But it's good you got it off your chest man.

This thread needs to go in the PE time capsule. :

Banned
    I saw Squire play that Rick at a small venue with the Benoit David version of Yes. His sound was never so clear to me, and even if Geddy played every note the way Steve would have, at that Yes tribute, the Geddy bass sounded fat. Squire chose Sherman to carry the Yes bass mantle. As for OOALH, I didn’t listen because I hate that song, being as burnt out as Follow You Follow Me. Obviously, Geddy was the choice of the HOF establishment which has shown over and over again, it’s about music money, not music.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Stay on message, must stay on message
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I saw Squire play that Rick at a small venue with the Benoit David version of Yes. His sound was never so clear to me, and even if Geddy played every note the way Steve would have, at that Yes tribute, the Geddy bass sounded fat. Squire chose Sherman to carry the Yes bass mantle. As for OOALH, I didn’t listen because I hate that song, being as burnt out as Follow You Follow Me. Obviously, Geddy was the choice of the HOF establishment which has shown over and over again, it’s about music money, not music.
    If you feel the RnRHoF is all about the money, why would you care what a band being inducted into such an evil institution sounded like during a two song set that nobody who really knows and loves Yes would ever judge them by?

Billy Sherman will not be pleased by this logical phallacy!

P.S. Geddy sounded great.
    Last edited by SunshipVoyager1976; 06-01-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Poor Sherman.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I knew Hemsley was a prog fan, didn't know he played bass.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Poor Sherman.
    Poor Peabody.

Sherman. Yeah. OK.
    Can this Yes thread make it to 80 pages please?
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

^ I'd settle for 20, but that's non-negotiable.

Wow... This is my new favorite Yes thread.

I thought Geddy looked and behaved himself humbly when he played. - trying to stay low key and all that. Geddy gets killer "rick" tones out of his Jazz Bass all the time, so much so that in the 80's I bought a Rick because I loved his Limelight tone. only to discover that he played his Jazz on Limelight. It's funny in a sick kind of way, I sold my '72 Jazz to buy the Rick. One of many Stupid, stupid deals I have made over the years.

Geddy was a great choice for Yes in the RRHOF. IMO Yes and Rush both make the RRHOF almost worth visiting one day. I used to drive by it almost every day when I was contracting in Findlay, Ohio for 6 months back in 2003. I never had even a slight interest in paying to go into that cursed place, when most of the bands I loved at the time were purposefully excluded, because one individual a-hole didn't think they were cool enough. It still pisses me off when I think about it.

It is funny that Geddy gives bass players who use a pick such grief, but yet agreed to play for Squire, who was a TOTAL pick guy. Only Geddy could pull off that tone using his finger - he calls it his "noisy Bastaad" - just in case some of you have been living under a rock since beyond the lighted stage was released.

I wonder if we will ever see Geddy playing out again. Wasn't the RRHOF his latest Forray on to the live stage?

Ember
    You know who played Rick? Jon. But then he went off on a solo tour.

I wonder what Jamie Glaser's opinion is on this topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I thought Geddy looked and behaved himself humbly when he played. - trying to stay low key and all that. Geddy gets killer "rick" tones out of his Jazz Bass all the time, so much so that in the 80's I bought a Rick because I loved his Limelight tone. only to discover that he played his Jazz on Limelight. It's funny in a sick kind of way, I sold my '72 Jazz to buy the Rick. One of many Stupid, stupid deals I have made over the years.
    Having just bought a Geddy Lee signature Jazz bass I'm getting the most Lee/Squire tone I've ever been able to achieve.
    <sig out of order>