Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: YES RNRHOF Bass Failure

I'm assuming that had Geddy known he would be the subject of yet-another-multipage-Yes-thread-at-PE (TM), he would have probably refused to play at all at the ceremony. Now, I would imagine, he is trying to decide the most efficient way to kill himself for his affront to true Yes fans.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I'm assuming that had Geddy known he would be the subject of yet-another-multipage-Yes-thread-at-PE (TM), he would have probably refused to play at all at the ceremony. Now, I would imagine, he is trying to decide the most efficient way to kill himself for his affront to true Yes fans.

"imagine" that!
    2trevorsforlife

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He's probably planning to invite us all to an island and nuke us.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He's probably planning to invite us all to an island and nuke us.
    Oh, that Geddy. He's such a Guppet.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

He might have been feeling suicidal already if he had been following any PE Yes threads. It's the prog version of being black-pilled.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Far too polite to be real.

Just for the record, and I guess this has already been addressed, but Squire used a lot of different basses. I remember that Guitar Player article from the early 70's, where he said he typically took something like a dozen basses into the studio. I believe a Danelectro 6 string bass was mentioned as one of them!

Onstage, photos and video footage show him playing a a Fender Telecaster bass (with an extra pickup added), a Jazz bass (as has been noted), a white Rickenbacker 8 string bass, a custom built 8 string (that's the one that kinda looks like a cross between an Alembic and a Rick, which he used from 78 or so onwards), a Guild fretless (which he used for The Remembering during it's brief existence in the Topographic Oceans tour setlist), an Electra bass with effects modules built into the body (as seen in the Tempus Fugit video), the custom built green bass, at least one Tobias bass, and I forget what else.

Do we even know what Chris used on the studio version of Roundabout? I know he overdubbed a second track, basically doubling the part an octave higher, using one of Steve's hollowbody Gibsons, giving an 8 string bass like effect. Maybe Geddy should have played an 8 string?

this is by far the funniest, most delightful, cynical and inside post I've read here

BRAVO
    2trevorsforlife

LMAO! I was smiling the whole time but then it got to the part about the performance beginning prior to coffee being served and I lost it! Thanks for this.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I was a little disappointed in some of the claims of ARW around the time of this performance. Anderson claiming that Pomeroy couldn't play because he was also playing with ELO. I'm pretty sure there have been other occasions where a musician has played with more than one band at this event.
    And Wakeman claiming that he did his stand up routine because the others at his table egged him on. Clearly he knew well in advance he was going to do his routine. I didn't mind Wakeman doing his thing so much, although personally I think if he had done about half of the routine, and taken 2 minutes to acknowledge and thank people like Steve Howe, Chris Squire, Bruford, for being his band mates, it would have been nice. Steve Howe had some very smart and sincere comments but couldn't resist telling everyone that Yes is the current "official" line-up. Anderson had an opportunity to heal some wounds but he was a bit goofy. And then he made some passive aggressive comments about Howe being crabby at the rehearsal, something along the lines of "poor Steve is so unhappy...oh well, I am not"
    Kudos to Jon Davison for stating his great admiration and appreciation of Anderson and leaving it at that.

I was struck by how Journey came out after Yes that night, and made a point of acknowledging and praising each other despite their long years of estrangement. Steve Perry publicly complimenting Arnel Pineda for doing a great job. What a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I was struck by how Journey came out after Yes that night, and made a point of acknowledging and praising each other despite their long years of estrangement. Steve Perry publicly complimenting Arnel Pineda for doing a great job. What a difference.
    There was a great photo of Perry and Pineda shaking hands, I think. It actually kinda made me think of the Godfather, with Perry in the Marlon Brando role, and Pineda as someone who's come to ask a favor of him. Ya know, like being allowed to kiss the Godfather's ring or whatever it is Mafia types do when they meet The Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Far too polite to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    this is by far the funniest, most delightful, cynical and inside post I've read here

BRAVO
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    LMAO! I was smiling the whole time but then it got to the part about the performance beginning prior to coffee being served and I lost it! Thanks for this.

so... Geddy didn't have enough sense to use a Rick... did he at least play with a plectrum?!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    so... Geddy didn't have enough sense to use a Rick... did he at least play with a plectrum?!
    Geddy Lee is famously disdainful of bass players using picks... which makes me want to ask him... um, what about Chris Squire?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Laughter is a physical reaction in humans consisting typically of rhythmical, often audible contractions of the diaphragm and other parts of the respiratory system. It is a response to certain external or internal stimuli. Laughter can arise from such activities as being tickled,[1] or from humorous stories or thoughts.[2] Most commonly, it is considered a visual expression of a number of positive emotional states, such as joy, mirth, happiness, relief, etc. On some occasions, however, it may be caused by contrary emotional states such as embarrassment, apology, or confusion such as nervous laughter or courtesy laugh. Age, gender, education, language, and culture are all indicators[3] as to whether a person will experience laughter in a given situation. Some other species of primate (apes, chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos and orangutans) show laughter-like vocalizations in response to physical contact such as wrestling, play chasing or tickling.

Laughter is a part of human behavior regulated by the brain, helping humans clarify their intentions in social interaction and providing an emotional context to conversations. Laughter is used as a signal for being part of a group—it signals acceptance and positive interactions with others. Laughter is sometimes seen as contagious, and the laughter of one person can itself provoke laughter from others as a positive feedback.[4]

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Geddy Lee is famously disdainful of bass players using picks...[/I]?
    Really? I've never once in 40 years read anything negative from him about pick players. He is quoted as saying it just doesn't work for him, and it will "go flying across the room" if he tries.

man, i’m just about recovering from a massive diaphrag hernia here … and – this being the RnRHoF and all the institutional stuffiness attached – one could almost expect this to be a legit press release from them.

rock‘n’roll is dead. it needs a mausoleum.

This thread is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    This thread is ridiculous.
    This is whole forum is ridiculous!

I just read this entire thread so clearly the joke is on me.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I just read this entire thread so clearly the joke is on me.
    The joke has been on all of us for decades now.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    This is whole forum is ridiculous!
    The whole Universe is a large joke.
    Everything in the Universe are just subdivisions of this joke.
    So why take anything too serious.
    FZ

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I thought Geddy did a good job paying tribute to one of his idols. Geddy is a Canadian musician, singer, and songwriter best known as the lead vocalist, bassist, and keyboardist for the Canadian rock group Rush. Lee joined what would become Rush in September 1968, at the request of his childhood friend Alex Lifeson, replacing original bassist and frontman Jeff Jones. Lee's first and so far only solo effort, My Favourite Headache, was released in 2000. I also liked his and Alex's speech inducting the band.
    Oh, that's rich. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The joke has been on all of us for decades now.
    Point taken.