Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: YES RNRHOF Bass Failure

Banned

YES RNRHOF Bass Failure

Fans of Geddy Lee May not like this, but I felt that the Fender bass he played was out of place on that Roundabout live performance. He could have gotten closer to the Classic Squire Sound by playing a Rickenbacker. I guess he played what he wanted. It’s been a while since that award, but a thought came to me of how inappropriate it was for Yes to not use Billy Sherwood. Billy is mostly known for his time as a member of progressive rock band Yes as a guitarist and keyboardist from 1997 to 2000, including for their albums Open Your Eyes (1997) and The Ladder (1999). He re-joined Yes in 2015, covering for (and eventually replacing) original bassist Chris Squire who was on hiatus from the band due to health issues shortly before his death on 27 June 2015. He was asked by Squire, before his passing, to replace him and keep Yes going. He is known for working with former and current Yes members in other capacities as well. A great story would have been to have Billy give tribute to Chris, verbally and by playing bass.

What's wrong with Geddy paying tribute to Squire in his own way?

It's weird to me when people copy from Wikipedia and then paste it into the middle of what they're saying, as though it's just a natural part of conversation.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's weird to me when people copy from Wikipedia and then paste it into the middle of what they're saying, as though it's just a natural part of conversation.
    ^This.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What's wrong with Geddy paying tribute to Squire in his own way?
    Because it’s sounded like crap compared to Squire. It should be about the music not your music politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Because it’s sounded like crap compared to Squire. It should be about the music not your music politics.
    How is that in any way "music politics"?

I guess for you, the only acceptable way to pay tribute to someone is by trying to mimic them rather than expressing oneself.

It sounded great.

I thought Geddy did a good job paying tribute to one of his idols. Geddy is a Canadian musician, singer, and songwriter best known as the lead vocalist, bassist, and keyboardist for the Canadian rock group Rush. Lee joined what would become Rush in September 1968, at the request of his childhood friend Alex Lifeson, replacing original bassist and frontman Jeff Jones. Lee's first and so far only solo effort, My Favourite Headache, was released in 2000. I also liked his and Alex's speech inducting the band.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

FWIW, Billy Sherwood doesn't use a Rickenbacker either - although he does sound close enough to Squire for my liking in the current line-up. The usual band politics dictated that he not take part, although it would have made musical sense as well as respecting Squire's wish.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I thought Geddy did a good job paying tribute to one of his idols. Geddy is a Canadian musician, singer, and songwriter best known as the lead vocalist, bassist, and keyboardist for the Canadian rock group Rush. Lee joined what would become Rush in September 1968, at the request of his childhood friend Alex Lifeson, replacing original bassist and frontman Jeff Jones. Lee's first and so far only solo effort, My Favourite Headache, was released in 2000. I also liked his and Alex's speech inducting the band.

I thought Geddy playing with Yes was really cool. Couldn't care less what bass he was playing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This is silly.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

nerdy proggin goin on
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Somebody was worried about a repeat of Billy's ROSFest volume issues.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    This is silly.
    This is rather silly. Silly is the adjective of "silliness". Silliness is defined as engaging in "a ludicrous folly", showing a "lack of good sense or judgment", or "the condition of being frivolous, trivial, or superficial". In television, film, and the circus, portrayals of silliness such as exaggerated, funny behavior are used to amuse audiences. Portrayals of silliness, provided by clowns and jesters, are also used to lift the spirits of people in hospitals. I bet Billy Sherwood thought it was fine that Geddy Lee played bass at the RRHOF.

Banned
    Man this thread is depressing!

A new angle on Yes misery.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A new angle on Yes misery.

Oh my gosh, there no end to it is there?

Poor Billy. Maybe when ASIA gets in, he and Bubblefish can teach Geddy a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    nerdy proggin goin on
    Sounds like a title for a Weird Al video.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    FWIW, Billy Sherwood doesn't use a Rickenbacker either - although he does sound close enough to Squire for my liking in the current line-up. The usual band politics dictated that he not take part, although it would have made musical sense as well as respecting Squire's wish.
    Also, Geddy is a little more famous than Billy, whether anyone likes it or not. So you get a bit extra bit of PR by saying you had an all star jam with "Rush bassist Geddy Lee joining Yes" or whatever, which outfits like the Hall Of Fame just love.

I've never actually heard the performance in question, so I don't know what it sounded like. But I imagine Geddy did a fine job, and I'm reasonably sure using a Rick or any other make and model of bass would have changed that.

I mean, it's like kvetching that Geddy didn't break out his Ricky when Rush played the old material on later tours.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've never actually heard the performance in question, so I don't know what it sounded like.
    Geddy Lee was fantastic. He nailed the parts and he looked like he was having a lot of fun. This thread is just weird.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

As a bassist myself, I thought Geddy sounded great. He was asked in an interview why he didn't play a Rick, and he said that he went through many of his basses and that one had the right sound.

Hoo boy. Geddy Lee played and sounded great. I’m sure Chris would approve.
    I play bass in my Allman Brothers tribute band. I play an Eve Iona, made in Scotland and an Alembic Spoiler. No one has ever complained. Of course we all do shoot heroin for authenticity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, I'd say it was a YES RNRHOF Bass Success.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015