Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: YES RNRHOF Bass Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Would have been a lot worse if he had appeared at the induction.
    I'm not convinced.
    <sig out of order>

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They have a history of being completely arbitrary.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Sherwood's exclusion from playing at the event had nothing to do with his lack of induction. There have been numerous occasions of actual inductees being excluded from playing with the band at the induction event (Ritchie Blackmore, Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale of Purple for example. Also Nigel Harrison and Frank Infante were inducted as members of Blondie but were excluded from joining the band for the performance).

Also, in the case of Deep Purple, Steve Morse and Don Airey were not inducted - but they performed at the event.

In the case of Chicago, Tris Imboden and Jason Scheff performed with the band even though they were not inducted. Same thing with Heart - there are many examples. In the case of Deep Purple, I believe Gillan, Glover and Pace said that if the event wanted Purple to perform , then those 3 would dictate who would play.

My guess is that Anderson and Wakeman probably said they wouldn't perform with Sherwood. Howe pushed for Sherwood, ARW pushed for Lee Pomeroy to enhance the ARW credentials, and they all compromised with the unaffiliated Geddy Lee.
    Last edited by floyd umma gumma; 06-08-2019 at 04:53 PM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    There's just no pleasing some Yuppets.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Sherwood's exclusion from playing at the event had nothing to do with his lack of induction.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Weren't the last 25 years of Yes kind of band failures?
    Thanks Scrot! We needed to throw some petrol on this fire.....it's Only To Page 5! (BTW - I agree
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Wow, 5 pages into an argument over whether Geddy used the correct bass to honor Chris on one song three years ago. PE, you done this old heart proud. Never change.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Wow, 5 pages into an argument over whether Geddy used the correct bass to honor Chris on one song three years ago. PE, you done this old heart proud. Never change.
    For some people here, there is no topic too silly or mundane that they can't inflict enormous stream-of-consciousness posts that pore over the excruciating minutiae of any subject. My scroll wheel creaks and groans under the constant strain of overuse.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    For some people here, there is no topic too silly or mundane that they can't inflict enormous stream-of-consciousness posts that pore over the excruciating minutiae of any subject. My scroll wheel creaks and groans under the constant strain of overuse.
    It's one of the things I love about the place, great spectator sport.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

'E used the wrawng bass, Gromit. The wrawng bass!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I said to myself, 3 years ago. Didn’t seem that long ago. Turned out that the performance was on April 7 2017, a little over 2 years ago.i

This is my last post on this subject. This will irritate those who hate wiki posts, but we missed this:

Squire's unique tone was very clear and distinct, and his playing was noted for being aggressive, dynamic and melodic. Squire's main instrument was a 1964 Rickenbacker bass (model RM1999, serial number DC127), which he bought and began playing in 1965. Squire mentioned in a 1979 interview with Circus Weekly that he acquired this bass while working at the Boosey & Hawkes music store in London. The instrument, with its warmth, was a significant part of Squire's unique sound. Due to its distinctive tone, which has been compared to that of a guitar, it allowed the bass to take on a more "lead" role, which created a dynamic sound, and suited Squire perfectly.

In a 1973 interview for Guitar Player magazine, Squire recalled how he had obtained his distinctive tone at the time by rewiring his RM1999 into stereo and sending the bass and treble pick-ups each into a separate amplifier. By splitting the signal from his bass into dual high and low frequency outputs and then sending the low frequency output to a conventional bass amplifier and the high-frequency output to a separate lead guitar amplifier, Squire produced a tonal "sandwich" that added a growling, overdrive edge to the sound while retaining the Rickenbacker's powerful bass response. This gave his bass sound bright, growling higher frequencies and clean, solid bass frequencies. This technique allowed Squire to use harmonic distortion on his bass while avoiding the flat, fuzzy sound, loss of power and poor bass response that typically occurs when bass guitars are overdriven through an amplifier or put through a fuzz box.

Squire claimed to have rewired his bass to stereo, even before Rickenbacker introduced the Rick-O-Sound feature, so he could send the output of the bass (neck) pick-up through a fuzz box, while keeping the treble (bridge) pick-up clean, because the last sounded "horribly nasal" when used with the fuzz effect. He also played with a pick which contributed to the sharp attack as well as using fresh Rotosound Swing Bass strings for every show.
    Last edited by Firth; 06-11-2019 at 05:05 PM.

***THREAD CLOSED***

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This will irritate those who hate wiki posts, but we missed this:
    How can anyone hate wiki posts? They are so educational, and we all get to stay here to enjoy the new knowledge without clicking on the actual wiki site! Wikipedia is a multilingual online encyclopedia, based on open collaboration through a wiki-based content editing system. It is the largest and most popular general reference work on the World Wide Web,[3][4][5] and is one of the most popular websites ranked by Alexa as of June 2019.[6] It features exclusively free content and no commercial ads, and is owned and supported by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization funded primarily through donations.

Wikipedia was launched on January 15, 2001, by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger.[11] Sanger coined its name,[12][13] as a portmanteau of wiki (the Hawai'ian word for "quick"[14]) and "encyclopedia". Initially an English-language encyclopedia, versions in other languages were quickly developed. With 5,870,566 articles,[notes 3] the English Wikipedia is the largest of the more than 290 Wikipedia encyclopedias. Overall, Wikipedia comprises more than 40 million articles in 301 different languages[15] and by February 2014 it had reached 18 billion page views and nearly 500 million unique visitors per month.[16]

In 2005, Nature published a peer review comparing 42 hard science articles from Encyclopædia Britannica and Wikipedia and found that Wikipedia's level of accuracy approached that of Britannica,[17] although critics suggested that it might not have fared so well in a similar study of a random sampling of all articles or one focused on social science or contentious social issues.[18][19] The following year, Time magazine stated that the open-door policy of allowing anyone to edit had made Wikipedia the biggest and possibly the best encyclopedia in the world, and was a testament to the vision of Jimmy Wales.[20]

Wikipedia has been criticized for exhibiting systemic bias, for presenting a mixture of "truths, half truths, and some falsehoods",[21] and for being subject to manipulation and spin in controversial topics.[22] However, Facebook announced that by 2017 it would help readers detect fake news by suggesting links to related Wikipedia articles. YouTube announced a similar plan in 2018. So I see no reason to stop using them in this key thread about how much of a failure Geddy Lee was at recreating Chris Squire's bass tone.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Did Geddy use the correct plectrum?
    (Now I cant sleep)

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Howe pushed for Sherwood, ARW pushed for Lee Pomeroy to enhance the ARW credentials, and they all compromised with the unaffiliated Geddy Lee.
    No way with the Pomeroy part. ARW knows Sherwood was part of Yes for two albums and involved in others whereas Pomeroy had played a year of concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    ***THREAD CLOSED***
    No fair! This is a YES thread!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    It would have been great had that actually been Geddy Lee playing with Yes. I can't believe so many of you aren't aware of what really happened on 4/7/17 at the RRHoF.
    I’ll bite. What really happened that night?

BEST. THREAD. EVER.

Not to derail the thread, but, some of you might enjoy the new IZZ album. i'm not sure what bass was used but i do know it sounds very good. To me.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like ham sandwichs.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but, some of you might enjoy the new IZZ album. i'm not sure what bass was used but i do know it sounds very good. To me.
    John-believe it or not-only now has a Rickenbacker. He used a Bongo bass for a very long time but has a black Ric now. Sounds pretty obvious on the new album.

^ Which conclusively proves that Geddy should have used a Rick.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Which conclusively proves that Geddy should have used a Rick.
    Which begs the question what would Rick have used?

Or rather, who?

Actually, know what?

Nevermind. Nevermind that, now.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I like ham sandwichs.
    You aren't following the new posting format. Here's how it's done:

I like ham sandwiches. The ham sandwich is one of the earliest recorded closed-face sandwiches; by 1850, at least 70 London street vendors offered it.[2] In 18th-century Britain the sandwich was still closely associated with Spanish cuisine, which (considering the especially wide consumption of ham in Spain) may suggest that sandwiches with ham were preferred at that time as well. There were also records of closed face sandwiches on Melrose St. In Providence, Rhode Island, in the 1850s. The British Sandwich Association says that the ham sandwich is the most popular sandwich in the UK,[3] and a survey they conducted in 2001 saw ham as the second favourite filling behind cheese.[4] 70% of the 1.8 billion sandwiches eaten in France in 2008 were ham sandwiches, prompting a French economic analysis firm to begin a 'jambon-beurre index', like the Big Mac Index, to compare prices across the country.[5]

The world's longest ham sandwich was created by butcher Nico Jimenez in Pamplona, Spain in 2009.[6]

Ham sandwiches are awesome.
    <sig out of order>

As in.

I love the new Knifeworld album. An album is a collection of audio recordings issued as a collection on compact disc (CD), vinyl, audio tape, or another medium. Albums of recorded music were developed in the early 20th century as individual 78-rpm records collected in a bound book resembling a photograph album; this format evolved after 1948 into single vinyl LP records played at ​33 1⁄3 rpm. Vinyl LPs are still issued, though album sales in the 21st-century have mostly focused on CD and MP3 formats. The audio cassette was a format widely used alongside vinyl from the 1970s into the first decade of the 2000s.

An album may be recorded in a recording studio (fixed or mobile), in a concert venue, at home, in the field, or a mix of places. The time frame for completely recording an album varies between a few hours to several years. This process usually requires several takes with different parts recorded separately, and then brought or "mixed" together. Recordings that are done in one take without overdubbing are termed "live", even when done in a studio. Studios are built to absorb sound, eliminating reverberation, so as to assist in mixing different takes; other locations, such as concert venues and some "live rooms", have reverberation, which creates a "live" sound.[1] Recordings, including live, may contain editing, sound effects, voice adjustments, etc. With modern recording technology, musicians can be recorded in separate rooms or at separate times while listening to the other parts using headphones; with each part recorded as a separate track.

Album covers and liner notes are used, and sometimes additional information is provided, such as analysis of the recording, and lyrics or librettos.[2][3] Historically, the term "album" was applied to a collection of various items housed in a book format. In musical usage the word was used for collections of short pieces of printed music from the early nineteenth century.[4] Later, collections of related 78rpm records were bundled in book-like albums[5] (one side of a 78 rpm record could hold only about 3.5 minutes of sound). When long-playing records were introduced, a collection of pieces on a single record was called an album; the word was extended to other recording media such as compact disc, MiniDisc, Compact audio cassette, and digital albums as they were introduced.[6]
    Ian