Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Django Reinhardt

Django Reinhardt

Ok, so I'm ready to go all in with Django, the legendary Gypsy jazz guitarist. But there's a problem: looking at Amazon, there seems to be several different multi-disc sets, that seem to overlap with each other. They all appear to be put out by one label JSP. I have a couple other things JFS put out, so I know they're reputable, but I can't figure out which sets I should get. Some seem to have been released circa 2002, while others look to have come out circa 2009-2012. Anyone conversant in this matter enough to untangle all this?
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 05-30-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Chris,

JSP?

if you mean JSP, their series might be considered authoritative.

And I don’t believe there is any overlap with any other multi-sets on JSP (although I personally own only 2).

Have fun!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Chris,

JSP?

if you mean JSP, their series might be considered authoritative.

And I don’t believe there is any overlap with any other multi-sets on JSP (although I personally own only 2).

Have fun!
    My apologies, yes, I meant JSP. The label that put out that Blind Willie McTell set I bought from you. The sets I'm looking at buying are:

Musette To Maestro 1928-1937: The Early Work Of A Guitar Genius
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00442FP4Q/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A1IGK84HO0J6U1&psc=1

Renown & Resistance 1937-1943
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JFZU9Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3LUAB9HY0F99W&psc=1

From Post War To Last Session 1944-1953
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...TV4DUTWQ&psc=1

But I also see several other sets that appear to also be by JSP, like:

The Classic Early Years
    https://smile.amazon.com/Classic-Ear...97ZRTFFXTPXDCG

Paris & London 1937-1948
    https://smile.amazon.com/Django-Rein...54HKZCDMQPAT8T

and

Django In Rome 1949-1950
    https://smile.amazon.com/Django-Rome...J67HG3Z9QZ1854

So I guess what I'm asking if anyone knows if these three sets have any overlap with the first three I listed.

GOTCHA!

I don't know the complete answer to your question, but I do know that Django in Rome is a specific period and is NOT repeated elsewhere on the JSPs.

I would suggest you buy these:

From Post War To Last Session 1944-1953 [this is one of the two sets I own. I also own a radio series from the late 40s to early 50s]
    Django In Rome 1949-1950

THEN with the liner notes and etc, you'll be able to see what else if anything you need. They do tell you what else is needed in the series. And these are all 'safe buys' that won't be repeated elsewhere. That's how I remember that Django In Rome is a specific series that is not repeated elsewhere!!

ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

So I guess what I'm asking if anyone knows if these three sets have any overlap with the first three I listed.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Banned
    There was also a great documentary DVD that Wayside carried at one time with the scant surviving film of Django performances, but I suppose it's long out of print. I made the mistake of lending it to my guitar teacher and now he won't give it back!

GOTCHA!

I don't know the complete answer to your question, but I do know that Django in Rome is a specific period and is NOT repeated elsewhere on the JSPs.

I would suggest you buy these:

From Post War To Last Session 1944-1953 [this is one of the two sets I own. I also own a radio series from the late 40s to early 50s]
    Django In Rome 1949-1950

THEN with the liner notes and etc, you'll be able to see what else if anything you need. They do tell you what else is needed in the series. And these are all 'safe buys' that won't be repeated elsewhere. That's how I remember that Django In Rome is a specific series that is not repeated elsewhere!!

ENJOY!
    Thanks, Steve! I appreciate the suggestions. I think this might be my next big splurge!

I guess I'm weary after what happened to me with T-Bone Walker. I bought two different sets, one a two CD set and the other a five CD set. What I didn't realize was pretty much everything on the two CD set was also on the five CD set. So that was a bit of a bummer.

Plus, I guess I'm just surprised to learn there's that many recordings of Reinhardt, given the era that he lived in, that you could put out seven different 4-5 CD sets, with possibly little or no overlap.

Plus, I guess I'm just surprised to learn there's that many recordings of Reinhardt, given the era that he lived in, that you could put out seven different 4-5 CD sets, with possibly little or no overlap.
    Well, he recorded and was active over at least a 20 year period and he was very popular.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I’ve got three big sets: the ten-disc “Djangology” box; Renown and Resistance; and the Vogue complete edition. The latter is the best of the three; the first is the most complete. According to my iTunes, I own 527 Reinhardt tunes. I listen to him mostly on shuffle and couldn’t begin to tell you how much overlap I have. Not much?

I can always listen to his music. One of my favorite guitarists.

Here are the sets I mentioned. Unfortunately, that Vogue set looks to be OOP.

https://www.amazon.com/Djangology-Dj...r%2C136&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/Renown-Resist...r%2C136&sr=1-8

https://www.amazon.com/Django-Reinha...%2C136&sr=1-20
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I just picked up this yesterday for $7.99. Covers 1934-1952.

https://www.discogs.com/Django-Reinh...elease/2919671

OK, so which of these sets have actual liner notes that explain what's going on here? From what I gather, the Djangology set has no liner notes. What about th eother releases?

44-page booklet with the Proper Box.

OK, so which of these sets have actual liner notes that explain what's going on here? From what I gather, the Djangology set has no liner notes. What about th eother releases?
    The JSP sets all have JSP-type set information (i.e. a bit. Enough to tell you what is going on and where it happened and sometimes even why).
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The Proper box is the one I found for £1.50 or something years ago. They are one of the better UK public domain labels because of the presentation of their releases, way above average. So yes there is a comprehensive booklet, they always have the recording information in the later pages.

I think those JSP releases mastered by Ted Kendall were highly rated by audiophile types but I couldn't say personally as I don't have any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think those JSP releases mastered by Ted Kendall were highly rated by audiophile types ...
    That seems odd for recordings 70 to 85 years old.

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Musette To Maestro and Renown & Resistance sets. Looking forward to diving into those.

So, the Renown & Resistance 1937-1943 set arrived today. Came from Texas! So I'm listening to disc one right now. Some very nice music here. I think I'm going to enjoy this!

Banned
    ^^^
    Indeed. In a recent interview, John McLaghin said he can't do with four fingers what Django did with two and he was serious.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 06-14-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^
    Indeed. In a recent interview, John McLaghin said he can't do with four fingers what Django did with four and he was serious.
    Yeah, it's beyond belief what Django was able to do with just two fingers, things that a lot of guitarists with four functioning fingers on their fretting hand struggle with. I believe there's one film that exists of him playing, I saw a bit of it in a documentary about Les Paul, and even watching that, it's still unbelievable that a guitarist with that disability could play like that!

Banned
    Isn't though? Watching him play in the scant film that survives, as a guitarist the takeaway lesson for me is don't get locked into position playing - move up that neck! YMMV

Mick Goodrich talks about the "unitar" in his book The Advancing Guitarist in the context of exercises where you move up and down a single string using different fingerings, which is one approach I would definitely use if I was teaching a serious and motivated begining guitar student.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The Quintet of the Hot Club of France stuff is some of my favorite recorded music.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Right now, I'm working my way through the WWII era recordings. And the liner notes are proving to be rather interesting. Yeah, they're a bit on the short side, but that's ok. I have trouble reading all the long winded essays you usually see in such historical reissues, anyway. Like I said, if I want more detail, I'll read one of the books on Django.

I'm also thinking I need to check out the work of Larry Adler, an American harmonica player who appears on a few tracks here. I looked him up on Wikipedia, and it seems like he had an interesting career, so I'm curious to check other recordings he did.

The Musette To Maestro set (as well as a Ralph Towner CD I also ordered) arrived today, but I think it'll be a few days beore I get to it.

^^^^^^
    I like his post WWII stuff the very best. He switched to electric and after getting comfortable with it, really got a bit surprisingly out. While still sounding like Django.

I believe this is the last thing he recorded in the studio.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Well, following Steve's suggestion, I got the Django In Rome 1949/1950 set, and have been listening it the last few days. I'm on the fourth and final disc of the set right now, and I'm really digging listening to him on electric. There's a great version of Nuages where he does a harmonic solo. Would LOVE to know how he did that.

^^
    Glad to have helped!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^^
    Glad to have helped!
    And I definitely appreciate the help.