Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SNAKES

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I'm surprised you don't come across some when you are at work.
    I do all the time, but only Garter snakes...fiesty little bastards! I have acidentally killed a bunch with the mower unfortunately. Pisses me off because I love the slithery fuckers.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is my grandson about five years ago, that snake was probably about six foot long but very friendly.

Good to put a face to all that NFL vitriol

My grandson Eli and I had one heck of a battle wrangling this monster snake this morning.

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

A former co-worker recommends against handling garter snakes with bare hands. He claims they secrete a substance from a stink-gland as a defense mechanism.

Most common snake at the park where I work is the gopher snake, which looks an awful lot like a rattlesnake, but has a (slightly) different pattern, and is completely harmless.

The most beautiful snake I’ve seen locally is the Alameda County king snake, which has a dazzling red, black and white striped pattern. It looks like a coral snake, but is not venomous.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    A former co-worker recommends against handling garter snakes with bare hands. He claims they secrete a substance from a stink-gland as a defense mechanism.

Most common snake at the park where I work is the gopher snake, which looks an awful lot like a rattlesnake, but has a (slightly) different pattern, and is completely harmless.

The most beautiful snake I’ve seen locally is the Alameda County king snake, which has a dazzling red, black and white striped pattern. It looks like a coral snake, but is not venomous.
    It's been a couple years since I caught a garter snake. I think it bit me and my pit bull's nose. Around here the king snakes are black and white, they are friendly but can kill a rattlesnake.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Good to put a face to all that NFL vitriol
    An honest face with honest facts.

I don't see snakes around my house but I do see plenty of lizards, geckos, frogs, and iguanas. Lizards don't bother me, even when they get in the house. Buffo toads I avoid. The toxins they secrete can make high, like on acid.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't see snakes around my house but I do see plenty of lizards, geckos, frogs, and iguanas. Lizards don't bother me, even when they get in the house. Buffo toads I avoid. The toxins they secrete can make high, like on acid.
    You might need a couple toads for the NFL season this year.

Ribbit......

I come across these black rat snakes quite often on hikes. This was just a few days ago...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

^^^^^^^^^
    I've never seen one climb a tree, they are usually scurrying to get to their hole in the ground.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ****** NSFW ******

^ I work at a brothel with a reptilian theme. The ladies will be OK with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ****** NSFW ******

While wearing this t-shirt in the late 80s, a co-worker pointed to it and said "That's my next tattoo!"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

That artist really studied anatomy well. That booty is phenomenal.

I caught this monster yesterday. My neighbor was freaking out, he was trying to kill it with a pick axe.

I see garter snakes often. If we get down towards the Missouri river (15 miles) there's always the possibility of rattlers. I went into a real narrow canyon once in TR National Park and heard some rattling ahead of me. I backed out of there in record time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Caught this little garter snake on the side of the house Friday.

Banned
    I am down in Daytona Beach but walking on the river. Talked to a fisherman who said fishing is challenged because pythons in the water are eating fish. [emoji15]

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    As kids we used to find garter snakes all the time in the back yard, and you’re right, they excreted some sort of oil that smelled terrible. I always thought it was a lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I am down in Daytona Beach but walking on the river. Talked to a fisherman who said fishing is challenged because pythons in the water are eating fish. [emoji15]
    They are having problems with the pythons and boas on the land as well. They will have hunting excursions to try and catch as many as possible.

I found a little lizard in the john this morning. Impossible to catch so I let 'im go. Hope he didn't jump in me pants while sitting on the throne like one did a few years ago. True story....

Where did the pictures go to? I got nothing except the last few there.

Snakes never bugged me. Used to have a ball python(Monty, of course) who was as docile as could be. There's quite a few native species to this desert but I can only vaguely remember coming across snakes here and they would just scurry away and begone. Mostly lizards and horny toads. I've never even seen a scorpion around here.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I found a little lizard in the john this morning. Impossible to catch so I let 'im go. Hope he didn't jump in me pants while sitting on the throne like one did a few years ago. True story....
    About 2 years ago, I saw some kind of plant material on the floor in my dark living room. I went to pick it up to throw it in the garbage, but it felt fleshy. When I released my grip, it ran away. Turned out to be a lizard, of the most common type here in the Sonoran Desert.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama