Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much have your listening habits changed, with so much new music out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Second, I don't think "Who Do You Love" is a waste.
    Are we really discussing about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Are we really discussing about this?
    Yes.

tenor.jpg
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Maiden of the Cancer Moon, their Fillmore recordings from early spring '68 later released on the legendary Psycho records, displays some of the most colourful rock guitar you'll ever hear.
    For CD aficionados - it's this release:

https://www.discogs.com/Quicksilver-...elease/4645807

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-01-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I listen to QMS a fair bit in the last four or five years. Oddly enough, though I like better The Airplane
    Choosing between The Airplane and the QMS is like forcing oneself to choose between one's mother and father... However if faced such a dilemma, I'd go for the Youngbloods instead; now that was the baaaand!
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-02-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Second, I don't think "Who Do You Love" is a waste.
    Didn't say that!! I just mant that this ljamming could've laqsted half its duration and be just as effective (if not more)

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    wtf Trane, really...uninteresting this?
    well I heard WDYL 1000 times, so I can say that I've grown weary and bored. It was cool until the later 80's, but by the time I slipped in the next decade, it was time to move (except for Calvary)

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I tried (back then) to get into the Shady Grove/What About Me Valenti catalog to no avail.

I still love you Hugues!
    yeah, Valenti's voice can be grating and he took too much place in the six-man line-up, but if you listen to those albums again (I mean there is so much more than Fresh Air on What About Love), there is plenty of proggy-psychy things.

I'm about to commit heresy by saying that Cip was never as good after leaving QMS whether Copperhead, Man, Raven , etc... Though i've not heard a T&tP album in decades, but I'm doing so right now
    Last edited by Trane; 06-01-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes speaking of QMS, 'Maiden' and 'Calvary' are great. I never completely wrote off 'Solid Silver', because of two great tracks, 'They Don't Know' (pure summer there) and the instrumental 'Witches Moon'. So 2/10ths of a good album there

Getting back to the original thread...

One thing that I've come to learn is that I'll never like certain artists now no matter how hard I try or how much credibility they have among connoisseurs. I'll never appreciate Henry Cow, The Cardiacs, or Magma, which may be my loss, but with so much stuff I might like out there I can narrow my tastes. I also find that I'm moving away from anything that has 'prog' in the description and am getting much more mileage out of categories such as Eastern European soundtracks, Mediterranean Funk, or Acid Folk. Certainly I seem to have reached my fill of RIO and/or 'rehearsal intensive' or math-y prog (fortunately, Cuneiform stocks a wide variety of not-even-close-to-prog categories of interesting music.)

Interesting thread... I am slightly younger than anyone else who has mentioned their age, but I see myself reflected in many of the posts already in this thread. When I was young, I had lots of time to sit and listen to CDs and would immerse myself in new purchases. Now, when I can afford to buy ten times as many, I have (or at least spend) much less time listening at home. I listen most while commuting, although what tends to happen is: leave house, hit shuffle on iPod, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, oh I like this one (either some modern pop or a UK bootleg), skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, arrive at work. The music I want while walking is very different to the music I want in other situations. I sometimes listen to music at work, but again what I want as background music for work is different again.

That said, I still get new albums with some regularity. Sometimes they capture my attention and then I will do the thing of listening to the same album over and over for a period (or at least some of the songs over and over). Sometimes they don't and after 3-4 listens, the album gets lost in a pile somewhere. Occasionally, I'll re-discover something bought a few months ago and it'll get some more attention.

The choice supplied by digital paradoxically makes me more conservative in my listening habits. If there are 7 CDs by the CD player, I'll listen to one of those CDs (rather than standing up, crossing the room and getting a CD off the shelf). If I am faced with everything on my iPod or everything on a digital platform, I am overwhelmed by the choice and gravitate back to old favourites. I occasionally force myself out of that by crafting a playlist or listening to something recently recommended here.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Regarding how I listen to music I don't think things have changed that much, I guess I'm mainly old school. For 30 years I've been collecting cd's and have only recently slowed down because as per my previous post I have become bored with Prog and struggle to find new music that I like. I've bought quite a bit of vinyl again in recent years too. I've never owned an ipod or visited iTunes and remain baffled as to why people pay so much for Apple to listen in lower quality. The only downloads I have ever bought are from Bandcamp where I can get lossless WAV or FLAC files and then I can burn them to cd. I do have a couple of MP3 players but again these are only used for playing lossless files and I don't use them that much. I never listen to music while walking/running or whatever, I think listening to music is a thing in and of itself.

My main listening of my fave music at home is via my hifi comprising a Cambridge Audio Amp, Marantz CD player and good quality Sennheiser headphones. I also still have my 30 year old Rega turntable for vinyl too which still sounds good. I do listen in the car of course which tends to be more easy listening straight ahead rock like Journey for example. I dread the day when I wont be able to buy a car with a cd player!

Most of my listening for the last couple decades has been while facing a computer. Now I work at home, ripping my CDs lossless onto a computer or using a ridiculously large library of digital ROIOs. I run the audio from my PC into a DAC and then into a receiver powering two speakers and a sub. We have a better system in the living room but it only gets used now and then. I can't work on my old laptop anymore and if my wife is in the living room she wants the TV on. Sigh. I've done some streaming, through both Bandcamp and Amazon Music. If I like what I'm hearing, I buy it. I love Bandcamp because as others have noted, you can get FLAC files and MP3 (the later is used only for my phone). I just loaded the new Djam Karet onto my phone. I walk every morning now that it's decent outside (where I live we get a ridiculous amount of winter) and music gets me through it. At last count I have 20 exercise playlists.

In the car we used to play nothing but CDs but that has gotten old - in one of our vehicles the CD player malfunctions often and my wife is forever the little girl with a stack of 45s, only wanting to hear the A sides. It's far easier to appease her by linking up the phone to a Bluetooth receiver and playing a looooong playlist of her faves on shuffle. As Jaime Lanister said, "the things I do for love".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    In the car we used to play nothing but CDs but that has gotten old - in one of our vehicles the CD player malfunctions often and my wife is forever the little girl with a stack of 45s, only wanting to hear the A sides. It's far easier to appease her by linking up the phone to a Bluetooth receiver and playing a looooong playlist of her faves on shuffle. As Jaime Lanister said, "the things I do for love".
    Not to mention, it isn't exactly safe fumbling around changing CDs, while driving 75MPH down the highway.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Another thing I notice as I grow older... I used to want albums of good music. Now, I crave finding that one really great piece of music, so if I find an album with one brilliant piece, and the rest is mediocre or even dreadful, that's more valuable than something that is uniformly good, but never great. I've got all the "good" music I need.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Not to mention, it isn't exactly safe fumbling around changing CDs, while driving 75MPH down the highway.
    To be replaced by the mad scramble to reconnect the phone when you get the dreaded "waiting for pairing" message through the speakers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

But its even worse trying to work an MP3 player or navigate through a memory stick...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    But its even worse trying to work an MP3 player or navigate through a memory stick...
    That's why I keep an iPOD with all my music always in the car and connected. Never have to adjust anything.

While you're at the same time eating a steak, and in the middle of a really gripping moment in the novel you're reading.... such a nuisance to have to look up every once in a while to monitor the traffic around you.

Most of my music is on a server I run at home. But, I really don't get much of a chance to sit down and listen to music anymore. I put selected pieces on my phone play while typing reports at work or driving.
    I've just started streaming. We'll see how that goes.

Time is my enemy. Unwanted retirement too. Throw in my 92 year old mother's age finally catching up with her in suddenly scary behaviors (and she lives alone 2 hours away, unless it's summertime, then it's 3.5 to 4 hours away for beach traffic) and I'm often too frazzled to devote myself to new stuff heavily.

That said, if it's freakin' great, a la the new IZZ or the last 2 3rDegree albums, I MAKE time.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Unwanted retirement too.
    I'm curious. Shouldn't this give you more time to listen to music? Also, I agree that the new IZZ is great. Unfortunately, I've acquired a bunch of new stuff in the last month, and so I have still only listened to Don't Panic once. I guess this is at the heard of the thread, for me. Finding time for all the new stuff out there that I like.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Unwanted retirement
    This is a completely foreign concept to me.

how often does that happen (every 40 to 80, minutes), especially if you're two in the car??

To be replaced by the mad scramble to reconnect the phone when you get the dreaded "waiting for pairing" message through the speakers.
    Not to mention the temptation to do everything else you do with a dumbphone when it's not connected to the car when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    This is a completely foreign concept to me.
    Even an oxymoron to me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not to mention the temptation to do everything else you do with a dumbphone when it's not connected to the car when driving.
    Careful; you're sounding dangerously close to Skullhead here.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Most of my more intensive listening happens nowadays when I'm doing chores. I find that if I try to just sit down and listen, I conk out and wake up when the album's over, not really remembering much of what I just heard. Somehow I still manage to stay conscious when I'm working around the house.

I refuse to use earbuds of any kind because I have an aversion to putting anything into my ears, and my favorite phones for listening while doing anything physical are Skullcandy SkullCrushers, because they sound pretty good and more importantly, they fit snugly enough that they don't slip if I have to look down or bend over. Unfortunately, they stopped making them several years ago, so I stocked up and have (I think) three spare sets still in the box, hopefully enough to keep me going for a while.

Before crashing my car a year ago, I would copy dozens of albums to my Fiio X1 player, plug it into the car stereo via 1/8" stereo cable, then simply allow the X1 to play one album after another, after another. I now do the same thing on the bus and train, but with headphones.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama