Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFM Live recordings

PFM Live recordings

I've got Cook as well as Live in Japan.. however I see PFM 10 Anni Live vol 1-4 listed on Amazon as well as Paper Charms The Complete BBC recordings.
    Wondering if anyone here owns/has heard any of these and your take on the recordings.. No comments are listed on Amazon regarding the 1-4 volumes and the only comment for BBC recordings say stick with Cook.. so I don't have a lot to go with.
    BBC recordings.jpg
    PFM 1.jpg
    PFM 2.jpg
    PFM 3.jpg
    PFM 4.jpg

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I see PFM 10 Anni Live vol 1-4
    I own the 10 year compilation. I haven't played in while but it's excellent.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Frankly BBC is a disappointment. Thin sound and tepid performances throughout, at least compared to Cook which does just that... I haven't heard the 10 Annis. IIRC when they came out folks were complaining about the sound quality but the performances were good.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The sound quality is iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I own the 10 year compilation. I haven't played in while but it's excellence.
    Thanks.. If you buy the box set it's pricey.. individuals vary from $7.99-$9.99 each

What I’d suggest tracking down is the Esoteric 3-CD edition of ‘Cook’. ‘Cook’ itself still sounds like...itself. It was never a great recording. But the two bonus CDs contain a 1974 show from Central Park which is some of the best live PFM you’ll ever hear. Sound is a couple of notches better than ‘Cook’ and the band is firing on all cylinders.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

This was a fun little set to collect, came out a few years back. First five classic albums played live in their entirety by the modern lineup. Each individual disc came with a coupon, when you got all five, you mailed them in and they sent you the box to hold them. Silly and old fashioned, but as I said: fun.

cd6.jpg cd7.jpg cd8.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    What I’d suggest tracking down is the Esoteric 3-CD edition of ‘Cook’. ‘Cook’ itself still sounds like...itself. It was never a great recording. But the two bonus CDs contain a 1974 show from Central Park which is some of the best live PFM you’ll ever hear. Sound is a couple of notches better than ‘Cook’ and the band is firing on all cylinders.
    I don't think I've seen that.. My version of Cook is expanded beyond what my original vinyl track list is.. and it includes 7 cuts from Central Park.. not sure that's what your talking about..

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This was a fun little set to collect, came out a few years back. First five classic albums played live in their entirety by the modern lineup. Each individual disc came with a coupon, when you got all five, you mailed them in and they sent you the box to hold them. Silly and old fashioned, but as I said: fun.

cd6.jpg cd7.jpg cd8.jpg
    I ended up buying these five electronically on iTunes, not my usual purchase method. I've enjoyed these relatively recent live recordings very much. I still listen to them fairly often on my daily commute to work.

The 4-volume live set covering from the very early days to the 80s is a fascinating live set. I had the 4-disc box set, but sold it on eBay some years ago (at a surprisingly good price). The very early covers of Jethro Tull and King Crimson material on disc 1 are somewhat rough, but very interesting to hear.

I think that the Live in Tokyo 2-disc set and the associated DVD are terrific. The classic band were in fine form and it's an enjoyable listen, as well as a well filmed video.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 05-28-2019 at 07:24 AM.

I've got Cook as well as Live in Japan.. however I see PFM 10 Anni Live vol 1-4 listed on Amazon as well as Paper Charms The Complete BBC recordings.
    Wondering if anyone here owns/has heard any of these and your take on the recordings.. No comments are listed on Amazon regarding the 1-4 volumes
    The sound quality varies on all four volumes and at best they are still only 'excellent bootleg sound, iirc.

But if you are a big fan, they are interesting or even better than interesting.

Being an especially big fan of the first three PFMs, I found the 1st two discs somewhat revelatory.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The sound quality varies on all four volumes and at best they are still only 'excellent bootleg sound, iirc.
    Indeed. And to be quite honest, I'd rather recommend A Celebration, the 2CD from '98 (on Snapper Rec, IIRC) which essentially compiles from the boxset. Mos of the gems from the bigger package pop up there.

But sure, the 'cassette-deck recording' factor remains.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Cook slays. It's heavier than a lot of music that was passing for "heavy rock" in those days.

The 3CD set of Cook by Esoteric is the go for one. Live in Japan is also very good (though from 2002).

Also recommended:
    Piazza del Campo (CD/DVD) from 2005 but with great Lineup feat. Pagani
    Celebration - Live in Nottingham 1976 with Lanzetti (you may own most of it if you have the Chocolate Kings reissue)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Indeed. And to be quite honest, I'd rather recommend A Celebration, the 2CD from '98 (on Snapper Rec, IIRC) which essentially compiles from the boxset. Mos of the gems from the bigger package pop up there.
    I think that this has been out of print for some time, but I am glad you mentioned it, because I had forgotten all about it!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I ended up buying these five electronically on iTunes, not my usual purchase method. I've enjoyed these relatively recent live recordings very much. I still listen to them fairly often on my daily commute to work.

Are these new recordings "note for note" new live recordings or do they update and rework the material a bit?

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

All I've got is Cook and Un Amico but I really don't like live albums so this is two too many...

PFM, like most of my favorite bands, were better in the confines of a studio.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    All I've got is Cook and Un Amico but I really don't like live albums so this is two too many...

PFM, like most of my favorite bands, were better in the confines of a studio.
    Wow, usually I find myself on the same page as you, but in this case I have to disagree. I love PFM's live performances and think they were often better on stage than in the studio. To each his own!

I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing live versions of "La Luna Nuova".

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    I have this too. Recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

But if you are a big fan, they are interesting or even better than interesting.

Being an especially big fan of the first three PFMs, I found the 1st two discs somewhat revelatory.
    Thanks! I got the first one last night.. plan to listen today before moving forward with further purchases.. I agree with others Cook is tremendous.. bought the vinyl when I found it in a cutout bin years ago. Upgraded to CD when I saw extra tracks.. Live in Japan is also very enjoyable.. I was worried that there is an awful lot of overlap with songs on Vol 2 and 3. You mentioned the 2 CD collection "A Celebration" is out of print.. I did a quick search and came up with nothing.

You mentioned the 2 CD collection "A Celebration" is out of print.. I did a quick search and came up with nothing.
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/5462138?ev=rb

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Are these new recordings "note for note" new live recordings or do they update and rework the material a bit?
    The recordings on this 5-disc set are indeed very close to the originals. So, they may be of less appeal than some of the other live recordings mentioned here. I think that they're enjoyable and the recording quality is high.

Someone mentioned the 2003 Live in Sienna concert which was also released in a CD+DVD package. The presence of Mauro Pagani on a number of tracks makes this one a lot of fun, particularly the dueling violins with Luccio Fabbri.

Ah thanks.. after listening to the first disc today.. I think I'll hold for now.. Although $9 for the highlights of the 4 discs does look appealing..

I have the 3-CD "Cook", "Live in Japan" from 2002, that 4-CD "10 Anni Live" book/box. I also have the Esoteric remastered releases of "Chocolate Kings" and "Jet Lag", which have almost all of the 1976 Nottingham show as bonus tracks (now they've taken the entire show and re-released it recently as a 2-CD set, "Celebration: Live in Nottingham 1976"). Thumbs up: "Cook", "Live in Japan"; hit or miss: "10 Anni Live" (sound quality, later poppy stuff); thumbs down: "Nottingham" (sound quality and performance not that great). Saw them on the "Cook" tour circa 1975 in San Antonio opening for Dave Mason.

Wondering if anyone here owns/has heard any of these and your take on the recordings.. No comments are listed on Amazon regarding the 1-4 volumes and the only comment for BBC recordings say stick with Cook.. so I don't have a lot to go with.
    BBC recordings.jpg
    PFM 1.jpg
    PFM 2.jpg
    PFM 3.jpg
    PFM 4.jpg
    Want to thank you for starting this thread. For some reason I never got Cook. Found a NM vinyl copy on ebay yesterday and it should be here by the end of the week. July b'day gift so will have to wait before spinning it, but thanks again.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Want to thank you for starting this thread. For some reason I never got Cook. Found a NM vinyl copy on ebay yesterday and it should be here by the end of the week. July b'day gift so will have to wait before spinning it, but thanks again.
    Cook is good, man. Well worth having, IMO.

Hope you enjoy it!