Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poil - Sus

Poil - Sus

It's a shame that this great, new record does not have a thread of its own, if not here where? My vinyl is here and it hardly moves from the turntable. The mix of dark, zeuhlish fusion with medieval folk and church music would make for a fine listening in the asylum - except it is sustained by the inexhaustible imagination and astonishing, musical dexterity of this crazy French trio. There is method in their madness, a method that prevents this from falling into chaos.

If progressive rock is dead, these guys haven't heard the news. A highly enjoyable record, a record that already reaches masterpiece status for me.

So, what are your thoughts about it?

I like it very much even though I prefer Bran Coucou by PinioL. Brossaklitt is also maybe little bit more interesting in all of its intense craziness.

But Sus is still growing on me so I am quite certain I will appreciate it even more by the end of this year.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Excellent !

Yet another great release by one of the extremely few progressive bands operating today.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Its my favorite Poil for sure. For me it has a much better balance between high energy crazyness and athmosphere. Love the choirboy bits.

And that last tune is complete and absolute KILLER.

It is, and they are essential.

^ This.
    My favourite is still Brossaklitt but it might change soon

Soil - Pus

^ ps I asked the guy at the merch what dose Sus means, he said it's a word in old Occitane (the regional language) but that in French it sounds like "suck".
    Perhaps Aymeric can shed some light on this?

It doesn’t sound like "suck"! The word "Sus" can be pronounced like the French word "Suce", and "Suce" means "Suck". As to what "Sus" means, it could be from the archaic expression "sus à l'ennemi !", that means "charge the enemy, go after them!". It’s how I understand it in French (but it can have at least three different meanings in French). I don’t speak Occitan, so maybe it has a completely different meaning in that language ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    . I don’t speak Occitan, so maybe it has a completely different meaning in that language ?
    My understanding is that it's not terribly different from French grammatically or even in the roots of its vocabulary, but is pronounced in quite a different manner, and is thus hard for a French-speaker to understand. Its name, for example, comes from the Occitan word for "yes", which is "oc" instead of "oui". I suppose it might sound like French spoken with an almost incomprehensibly weird foreign accent.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think I might end up liking this one even more than Brossaklitt, it's certainly slightly ahead of PinioL. All three are superb abulms, they are a hell of a band, standing three feet in front of Antoine for the RIO gig in Lyon was just fantastic.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Soil - Pus
    Thanks for providing a translation.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The moog solo in Chin fou is the most ridiculously fine piece of music I've heard in a long time. This is album of the year for me, sorry Lost Crowns.

These guys popped up in my recommendations list last night while I was laying in bed listening to Zletovsko. Probably the first band I've listened to in the last 15 years that absolutely blew my mind. Brossaklitt was one of those experiences where each passage practically made me nervous with excitement. I did not know what to expect next. A genuinely surprising, demanding listen with the most fantastic pay offs.

I've not heard Sus yet, but I'm working my way through their material. May they thrive for many years to come!

Album of the year!
    I love PoiL, it made me go deep in RIO and, I don't know, avant-prog? (If that exists).
    Sus is a great album, even tho I prefer Brossaklitt (Fionosphère and Patachou are two awesome pieces in art, it's so incredible, man).

Hmm. Apparently, I need to give this another chance. I felt underwhelmed on first listen, as I thought that the vocals were overwhelming the music on the new one, not what I expected from them. However, since people who like a lot of the stuff I do are raving about it, I'll try again.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I think I might end up liking this one even more than Brossaklitt, it's certainly slightly ahead of PinioL. All three are superb abulms, they are a hell of a band
    I'm on a trip right now and brought Sus and a mer handful other CDs along, giving it proper attention. I think it's the best thing I've heard by these guys, including PinioL and Ukandanz, both of which I also really like.

Ironically, the relatively absent appeal of an absolutely phenomenal act like PoiL with an allegedly "progressive" crowd explains more of why there's no future whatsoever for this sort of creative bliss in rock music.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Since people were inquiring about the Future of Progressive Rock, Sus provides with a convincing answer: this is a band which is firmly rooted in the music of the past (the Gentle Giant factor is significant), and yet creates music with its own unmistakable sound. It is open to contemporary sounds and incorporates them in a relevant way. A band that has absolutely nothing to envy from the bands of the past, and stands besides them on equal terms.

The problem is that there are so few of these bands, and so few listeners of their music.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 07-21-2019 at 06:35 AM.

More I listen to this more I like it. I love all the demented vocals on this one.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Its on the 'to buy' list.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its on the 'to buy' list.
    Oh, but one of Svetonio's many wonderfully masked faces just rated this thread one star! How can you seriously ponder getting such a title when Juba/Michello/[fart] don't want a thread on it to exist?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Oh, but one of Svetonio's many wonderfully masked faces just rated this thread one star! How can you seriously ponder getting such a title when Juba/Michello/[fart] don't want a thread on it to exist?
    I'm afraid you're mistaken. I won't advocate for Svetonio, but I know him from Progarchives and I remember that Svetonio suggested PoiL for PA database back in 2013 when PoiL were virtually unknown band with one self-released album: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=93773

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    It's a shame that this great, new record does not have a thread of its own, if not here where? My vinyl is here and it hardly moves from the turntable. The mix of dark, zeuhlish fusion with medieval folk and church music would make for a fine listening in the asylum - except it is sustained by the inexhaustible imagination and astonishing, musical dexterity of this crazy French trio. There is method in their madness, a method that prevents this from falling into chaos.

If progressive rock is dead, these guys haven't heard the news. A highly enjoyable record, a record that already reaches masterpiece status for me.

So, what are your thoughts about it?
    Excelent call Zappa!.

And I keep associating them with Ni thanks to the greatest "Bran Coucou" by PinioL … their latest is a good one too IMO:

"Pantophobie" (2019)

http://ni-music.com/

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agoston View Post
    I'm afraid you're mistaken. I won't advocate for Svetonio, but I know him from Progarchives and I remember that Svetonio suggested PoiL for PA database back in 2013 when PoiL were virtually unknown band with one self-released album: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=93773
    Must have been tough for the team to pick out such a gem from the tidal wave of suggestions. You just 'happen' to remember that 2013 thread with a grand total of 3 posts.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.