Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Rutherford interview in the London Financial Times

Mike Rutherford interview in the London Financial Times

Standard email Q&A, nothing spectacular, but might interest a few fans. Copied & pasted because some articles are firewalled. https://www.ft.com/content/b6fa6852-...2-f785092ab560

What was your childhood or earliest ambition?

I had no ambitions until The Beatles came out when I was at prep school. There was a sound, something going on there, and I wanted to be part of it.

Private school or state school? University or straight into work?

I had a happy time at prep school on the Wirral in Cheshire. Charterhouse was not so good. I caught a weird moment of disruption in the English establishment, a wave of change. A lot of boys ran away. I was beaten a lot and thrown out after O-levels. Being involved in the band with Tony Banks and Peter Gabriel kept me sane.

Who was or still is your mentor?

I haven’t got a personal mentor. My father was much older, born in 1906. He was a wonderful man but we couldn’t talk — there was little communication. Musically, The Beatles had to be the most important: the goals they set, it’ll never happen again to that level. What they produced was something I aspired to.

How physically fit are you?

I was a very keen polo player for 25 years. Nothing can compare to that adrenalin. Now I cycle.

Ambition or talent: which matters more to success?

You need ambition and you need talent — but you also need timing and luck, which you can’t control.

How politically committed are you?

Right now, I’m disappointed in the entire system. It’s like a bizarre joke.

What would you like to own that you don’t currently possess?

I’d like to be able to fly. Nothing else could give me that kind of freedom. And one of those incredibly expensive road bikes that cost a fortune and weigh less than my phone. I could afford one, but I don’t deserve it.

What’s your biggest extravagance?

It’s definitely been polo. The plus is that my two sons play and my wife plays a bit. I had this wonderful sharing of a sport that is so exciting. It really was an extravagance — but the memories make the extravagance more bearable.

In what place are you happiest?

With my wife, wherever we are. It’s about the person, not the place. We are 43 years married.

What ambitions do you still have?

To play an impressive round at the Dunhill pro-am golf tournament.

What drives you on?

In terms of work, purely to prove to myself that I can still do it, that I’m good at it, that I can still write music that people want to hear.

What is the greatest achievement of your life so far?

My family: three great children, and four grandchildren. That supersedes work.

What do you find most irritating in other people?

Lying. People who lie and won’t admit they’ve lied. It’s fundamentally unsettling.

If your 20-year-old self could see you now, what would he think?

He’d be completely unable to believe what’s happened in terms of work and the success that’s come to him. When you’re 20, the future is about three years ahead. The future then was to play the Marquee Club or maybe to do a show in America. Travelling the world was way beyond that ambition.

Which object that you’ve lost do you wish you still had?

I had a wonderful white Gibson SG guitar, which I used on quite a few records — you can see it in videos. It went walkabout — whether someone borrowed it or took it, I don’t know. It was a lovely guitar, unique.

What is the greatest challenge of our time?

Dealing with new technology and communication. You can communicate with anyone, round the world, all the time. The problem is that no one’s in the now — in the place where they are. We can’t stop progress, but we need to learn to deal with it.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

No.

If you had to rate your satisfaction with your life so far, out of 10, what would you score?

Ten. The other day someone said to me, “Is your glass half full or half empty?” I said, “My glass is up to the brim.” The past 50 years have been an amazing journey. I feel very lucky.

“Out of the Blue” by Mike and the Mechanics is out now, mikeandthemechanics.com

Very nice lil interview.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

He doesn't mention Genesis once. Pretty much says it all for those still hoping for a reunion.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

That is a fine interview from a fine gentleman

Glad for him that it's the financial times that did the interview, so he didn't have to elaborate on his permanent writing block when he's making music on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    He doesn't mention Genesis once. Pretty much says it all for those still hoping for a reunion.
    He wasn't asked about it. He didn't mention the Mechanics either. He talks about both in his recent Rolling Stone interview.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Very nice lil interview.
    I have to disagree. It reads to me like one of those things people share on Facebook or other social media.
    As I scrolled down I kept waiting for the "what did you have for breakfast this morning" question.

I've read YOUR interviews and have enjoyed them very much, but this seems like a internet joke to me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    He wasn't asked about it. He didn't mention the Mechanics either. He talks about both in his recent Rolling Stone interview.
    He wasn't asked about it but the fact that Genesis isn't mentioned when asked about his favourite memories or future plans shows what is on his mind today.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have to disagree. It reads to me like one of those things people share on Facebook or other social media.
    As I scrolled down I kept waiting for the "what did you have for breakfast this morning" question.

I've read YOUR interviews and have enjoyed them very much, but this seems like a internet joke to me.
    I don't know about that. These short responses are rather typical of how Mike answers questions anyway. Perhaps it's been edited somewhat (I don't see any "D'yknow what I mean"s or "Looking back..."s )

BTW there are often lengthy, complete interviews shared on FB and elsewhere.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't know about that. These short responses are rather typical of how Mike answers questions anyway. Perhaps it's been edited somewhat (I don't see any "D'yknow what I mean"s or "Looking back..."s )

BTW there are often lengthy, complete interviews shared on FB and elsewhere.
    We're all different, and I was referring to the interviewer's questions, not Mike's responses.
    Yeah, there are some great interviews and I'm Facebook friends with some of my favorite bands. But I'm sure you're familar with those Facebook memes that people send around asking you to share, where they ask these type of simplistic questions and you are supposed to answer them and then send to your friends.(Incidentally, people have been warned not to share very personal information, but so many people often do). These memes are often circulated by people with less than honorable motives.

Perhaps it's because the questions are from The Financial Times and not a progressive rock, or rock publication..who knows..

As I said, it's just my opinion and if other's liked it, good.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

"Do you believe in an afterlife?

"No."

Hmmm... Better rethink that, Mike.

I'm sure you're familar with those Facebook memes that people send around asking you to share, where they ask these type of simplistic questions and you are supposed to answer them and then send to your friends.(Incidentally, people have been warned not to share very personal information, but so many people often do). These memes are often circulated by people with less than honorable motives.
    Yes, those are ridiculous, and I'm always amazed to see people falling for them. "How old will you be in ten years?" or "Your pet's name + the street you grew up on is your rock band's name!" ... to me, these SCREAM "Identity theft". But sure enough, people are answering them. But if I share a link to an interesting article or something else I think people might like... crickets.

Anyway, yes the interviewer posed his questions in a rapid-fire Q&A style, but sometimes I like that. It's a nice balance to the longer, more in-depth interviews IMO. I like both!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm no Rutherford expert, and I could have predicted the answers to half of those questions correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post

"No."

Why?

"No."

Yes, why. That's his opinion and he's okay with it.

neil

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Thanks for posting. I found this interview much more substantive and interesting that the OP's interview.

"No."

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Why?
    Because there is an afterlife, and we all have to prepare for it. I know this for a fact, having experienced an NDE and from other sources. Just my friendly advice to whomever is reading, Mike included.

^^ Why does an NDE make you believe in an afterlife? After going into the light its probably all over.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yes and after that Porcupine Tree and Rush will reform and Elvis Presley will be found alive on the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ^^ Why does an NDE make you believe in an afterlife? After going into the light its probably all over.
    Well, don't forget, he did cite "other sources" as well. I don't know about you, but that's all I need to hear. Time to change your minds, everyone (including Mike Rutherford)!

I would say to everyone, be good to others, be fair, honest and kind and not worry about doing those things to get a ticket to heaven, but do them because it's the right thing to do.
    I've known people who profess religion and they can be the most greedy, nasty acting people who live selfishly.
    And I've known athiests who are the most kind, generous selfless people you can be.
    Just do the right things while you're here and the rest will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yes and after that Porcupine Tree and Rush will reform and Elvis Presley will be found alive on the Moon.
    I wasn't including myself in those hoping for a Genesis reunion, just to be clear

Because there is an afterlife, and we all have to prepare for it. I know this for a fact, having experienced an NDE and from other sources. Just my friendly advice to whomever is reading, Mike included.
    'You know nothing, Jon Snow'. One thing is definite, I'm certain that talking about it is a sure-fire recipe to shut this thread down, lol.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    'You know nothing, Jon Snow'. One thing is definite, I'm certain that talking about it is a sure-fire recipe to shut this thread down, lol.

neil
    That's fine. Just doing my duty by telling what I know. All of course are free to believe what they want. But I've seen it, and share it for those that have ears to hear. Carry on in these Living Years!

Wrong forum, very, very inappropriate.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com