Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JORDSJØ - Nattfiolen

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Your dirty little sympho-lympho secret is out now, chaps. The mask slipped!

The mask slipped...

Banned
    I for one love sympho-lympho particularly dirty, filthy sympho-lympho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Your dirty little sympho-nympho secret is out now, chaps. The mask slipped!
    siffle.gif

lmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So back on track, and away from incessant anuses and sickening promulgations: I am pretty sure that I've heard some stand-up bass in there. I don't have the LP to check the credits, but I can't be that wrong. What's going on?

In other news, this is some addictive shit to say the least. I've listened like 7 times in the last couple of days, and I've been getting some similar feedback from people I know. So I am asking again: what's going on? Am I some hungry sympho-whore that craves for some good melody with flutes and mellotrons, and listens to other stuff only because Genesis and Yes haven't written any decent music the last 40 years? Or is this record so good, that establishes itself on my psyche purely because of its inexplicably high quality?

Please help.

^ I think this niche-within-a-niche thing often is a question of mastering internal terms of an exact style. For instance in the case of Finland's similarly fine Malady; their task obviously isn't to explore any "symph" (blah-blah) in general, but to dive into a very specific and precise idiom and discipline, namely that of 70s Finnish underground progressive rock as found on the Love label back then. Authenticity as variable, sure, but certainly not limited to instrumentation - rather it's the very vibe and aura of it all. And they succeed, as do Jordsjø - and especially on this latest one.

IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ agreed, although the latest Jordsjo suits me more than the also very pleasant latest of Malady.

And still, it's just music, which means there is a considerable amount of non-definable mystery, and in there, for no specific reason whatsoever, one can be seduced. And maybe this is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    ^ agreed, although the latest Jordsjo suits me more than the also very pleasant latest of Malady.

And still, it's just music, which means there is a considerable amount of non-definable mystery, and in there, for no specific reason whatsoever, one can be seduced. And maybe this is all that matters.
    I liked that one by Malady, although I don't know if I loved it. But it's enjoyable stuff nonetheless. I've got it on vinyl.

I've got that 2-disc reissue of Jordsjø's stuff, but haven't heard the whole thing yet. This new release has me very curious though, so perhaps I'll check it out after I finish listening to what I've got.

So back on track, and away from incessant anuses and sickening promulgations: I am pretty sure that I've heard some stand-up bass in there. I don't have the LP to check the credits, but I can't be that wrong. What's going on?

In other news, this is some addictive shit to say the least. I've listened like 7 times in the last couple of days, and I've been getting some similar feedback from people I know. So I am asking again: what's going on? Am I some hungry sympho-whore that craves for some good melody with flutes and mellotrons, and listens to other stuff only because Genesis and Yes haven't written any decent music the last 40 years? Or is this record so good, that establishes itself on my psyche purely because of its inexplicably high quality?

Please help.
    Dude, your sympho-lymph nodes are on fire!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Dude, your sympho-lymph nodes are on fire!
    I am calling my doctor tomorrow.

Does this remind me a little bit of those Sinkadus albums way back when?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Does this remind me a little bit of those Sinkadus albums way back when?
    There's nothing wrong with that!!!
    The Prog Corner

One spin in. I find it similar, yet different to the last one. Their strength of composition seems to be growing, and the music takes me on a journey, which I love. Lots of great riffs, twists and turns and loaded with atmosphere. I agree with most, that singing in their native language is a good thing, and even adds more of a sense of mystery for us one-language North American blockheads. I am glad, however, that the vocals are still fairly sparse. Although they are serviceable and decent, I wouldn't call it the strong suit of the music. Really looking forward to more spins, with this one.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Thanks Zappa for the HU!.
    I'm not familiar with the other albums but "Nattfiolen" is beginning to grow here my Friends and again, thanks for the reco. Zappa and comments Gang!.

Regards!.
    Last edited by TCC; 05-30-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Today I listened to all of the 2 disc Jordsjø album at work, and there is some really good stuff on there. I liked it.

Will be checking out their new one.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    I'm not familiar with the other albums but "Nattfiolen" is beginning to grow here my Friends and again, thanks for the reco. Zappa and comments Gang!.

Regards!.
    I'd say they got progressively better with each album. Check out "Jord" next...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I have Jord and liked it pretty well. Just listened to this new one and I feel it might grow in me.

Right, now to get back to that 48-hour loop of a Belgian Maoist throwing a bucket of spark plugs down a concrete stairwell.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd say they got progressively better with each album. Check out "Jord" next...
    Agree Yves!.

I've spent this weekend listening to both albums and I did the exercise of hearing them one after the other in no particular order: each one has their moments and magic being "Nattfiolen" the one I like the most at this moment, thanks for the reco. and H.U. Yves!.

Regards!.

Last edited by TCC; 06-06-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Hey, these guys are good! See, this is why I come here. I doubt I would have ever found these guys otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I got this based on the positive feedback here but so far I do not share the enthousiasm.

I do not like these timid and powerless vocals. Everything is in slow/mid pace. And those trons , organs and flutes; I have heared it sooo many times before.

Some might call this dreamy. I call it sleepy. Not for me I guess.

The last track has some very beautiful harmonic changes....great laid-back vibe too.

I never tire of "trons, organs & flutes".

Gave this a fresh spin tonight. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. There are some wonderful parts, and the more I hear it the more the good parts assert themselves. But for whatever reason, I still think I prefer their earlier stuff. I'll test that theory over the next week or so and give them all a spin.

There has to be some issue with my own expectations of this album, I think I expected it to be a bit more forward leaning. I heard things on Jord that made me think they were headed in that direction. But this is full-on retro Prog, with a heavy pastoral feel. Not what I expected, but I'm going to try to get in that head space and go with it, because for what it is I don't think it's a bad album (though let's be honest, vocals are not their strong suit).

Bill

A couple of people have mentioned 'pastoral', when describing the music, which I didn't really hear on my first spin. But, if it's there, that is certainly fine by me, as I like a little pastoral in the mix.

Got to listen to this again soon...along with the new IZZ...along with the new Farmhouse Odyssey...along with the new Thank You Scientist...you get the idea, lol. Oh well, I'd rather have a treasure trove of riches, than a sparseness.

neil

Please help.
    "Hello, my name is Cozy and I'm a Jordsjoholic". I have spun this several times as well.

I have the previous Jordsjo albums which I like a lot, but just recently got around to Nattfiolen. IMO, this is DEFINITELY a step forward. It will make my top 5 by end of the year I would imagine.

I think what you mentioned earlier is also a keen observation. The band sounds more like mid-late 70s sympho than Yes/Genesis. I get vibes of Island, Kaipa, Cathedral, VdGG, and others I can't quite put the finger on. There's obviously nods to the Anglagardians as well. Oh, and the last track "Ulvenatt" reminded me distinctly of a Modry Efekt song. Anyway, I'm a sucker for this kind of organic retro symph prog with folky overtones when done well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I dig both of the newest Jordsjø albums, even my kids are familiar since they hear them in the car. Great writing and the Nordic vibe is really pleasant.