Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JORDSJØ - Nattfiolen

JORDSJØ - Nattfiolen

...is out and it's beautiful. A big step forward for the talented Norwegian band who seems to be finding its own voice. The dreamy, ethereal Nordic folk spirit is pretty much present, along with symphonic rock influences of the likes of Camel, Focus etc. But it really sounds like a unique specimen of progressive rock music. This is not the super complex and dexterous prog of Anglagard or Wobbler, the ideas are rather simple, yet very interesting and creative. Lots of flute and old-fashioned keyboards for the lovers of the symphonic genre.

I am pretty sure this will get a lot of love here - and rightly so.

Bandcamp link: https://jordsjo.bandcamp.com

Downloaded this auto-buy from bandcamp this morning. Eagerly awaiting the first spin. Glad to hear the positive review!

neil

Thanks Zappa for the HU!.

Just listened to it this morning and it's excellent retro/trad Prog. Hits all the right spots.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    On this board, these discussions are always derailed by the same little arrogant group of people who are incessantly enamored with their own perceived sophistication. It just gets to be a sickening spectacle time and time again.
    Better not engage in anything near an actual discussion, then. I suppose.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Got it a week or so ago. It's a bit on the pastoral side for my tastes. It's nice, but not really knocking me out like I hoped it would, and I haven't connected as immediately with it as I did with their previous albums. Haven't given up, but I don't think this will wind up being a top 2019 disc for me.

Bill

Very good retro prog.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

they've been a little too insistant on my professiçonal e-mail box, TBH

I might go for it, but nothi,ng I own from them (previous album) and the archive release is more than a Gnosis 11, so it's not autobuy anymore.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Better not engage in anything near an actual discussion, then. I suppose.
    There are times when I agree with your opinions and times when I think that you purposely jump into threads to mock people for liking music you think is beneath you. I probably agree with your music opinions a lot more when they are about what you like rather than what you hate. Anyone can hate something. I hate plain yogurt. But I don't go on the Yogurt Appreciation group to tell people I hate it.

There are times when I agree with your opinions and times when I think that you purposely jump into threads to mock people for liking music you think is beneath you.
    It's not about being above or beneath, it's about the argument as to pro et con. There's always both the good and the bad, as they logically compliment each other - and what subjective opinion basically does is underline that reasoning. This is essentially what discussion is supposed to be - as in a "discussion forum".

When you yourself purposely jump into a thread for no other function but to nag about "sickening spectacles" or "perceived sophistication", or even better - when you initiate threads asking for answers but shun the "nature" of some of them because they're not delivered as wanted and consequently throw about purportedly offensive tropes of "wannabe" this or that, or even better still - when you start entire separate threads complaining how certain contributors to your grand dismay tend to possess and even express other insights than yourself… Well, that's when you neutralize no one's position but your own.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's not about being above or beneath, it's about the argument as to pro et con. There's always both the good and the bad, as they logically compliment each other - and what subjective opinion basically does is underline that reasoning. This is essentially what discussion is supposed to be - as in a "discussion forum".

When you yourself purposely jump into a thread for no other function but to nag about "sickening spectacles" or "perceived sophistication", or even better - when you initiate threads asking for answers but shun the "nature" of some of them because they're not delivered as wanted and consequently throw about purportedly offensive tropes of "wannabe" this or that, or even better still - when you start entire separate threads complaining how certain contributors to your grand dismay tend to possess and even express other insights than yourself… Well, that's when you neutralize no one's position but your own.
    I admit to my own faults as stated above and will try to be a better person. That said, I don't shun anyone on a thread I initiated. If I don't have anything to reply concerning their comment, I don't reply. Other times I'm gone for days without checking back here. I'm not ignoring anyone but I'm not on PE as often as some folks.

^ I suppose that word 'shun' was wrong. Rather we're talking stuff like this:

Addendum: Is there a mute feature on here so that I can spare myself the meandering word-salads of self-declared musical geniuses? They remind me of that person I would see on TV - Sebastian Gorka - who would put on a fake Hungarian-ish accent and demand people call him "Doctor". I do admire good insult comics as well as people who have a persona that is performance art. However, it takes skill to not simply be the obnoxious jerk who thinks he's smart when he's simply a puffed up nerd who doesn't know his place.
    In a thread you yourself initiated. Could you elaborate a bit on contributions like this?

^ I suppose that word 'shun' was wrong. Rather we're talking stuff like this:

In a thread you yourself initiated. Could you elaborate a bit on contributions like this?
    Didn't remember that one. Then again, I don't remember a lot of what I write - it's sort of write and move on. Now that you point it out, it could have been less nasty. It wasn't, but it could have been. Bygones.

In other news, having listened to this record a couple of more times I'm very impressed with not only the performances and compositions but the production as well. Really nice modern production which gives it a rather non-retro sheen.

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Got it a week or so ago. It's a bit on the pastoral side for my tastes. It's nice, but not really knocking me out like I hoped it would, and I haven't connected as immediately with it as I did with their previous albums. Haven't given up, but I don't think this will wind up being a top 2019 disc for me.

Bill
    Agree with this. Very "pleasant" but kind of Scandanavian muzak. Excellent to go to sleep to. Now on the other hand speaking of Scandanavian, check out the new Brighteye Brison. Definitely alot of meat on those bones

While this rightly is referred to as "retro-prog", somehow it reminds me more of late 70's first-wave retro bands than anything post 90's. Maybe it's the production, maybe it's the intentions but it feels like these people haven't listened to a lot of music post 70's. Anyway, compared to the blunt retro previous efforts, this latest sounds more original to my ears. I prefer Jordsjo to all the Agusas of this world.

Also good choice to sing in their language. I wonder what the are lyrics about. Elves and fairies? Or destructive nihilism and good ol' sex, drugs and rock'n'roll? Is Stifinner about young, stiff males harassing sexy, Scandinavian fairies? Mine Templer about burning churches?
    Til Varen is the jewel of the album. Its ending is sublime.
    Last edited by Zappathustra; 05-28-2019 at 05:15 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Agree with this. Very "pleasant" but kind of Scandanavian muzak. Excellent to go to sleep to. Now on the other hand speaking of Scandanavian, check out the new Brighteye Brison. Definitely alot of meat on those bones
    Except from the fact that they both stem from the wider geographical region, I don't see the connection whatsoever.

^ Their lyrics vary between tongue-in-cheek, kitschy mythology-drivel and (attemptively) deeply serious lore ranging from Nordic adventures to Freudian dilmmas by way of everyday prosaic crap. And I do not mean this in any negative manner, as I quite enjoy a lot of what they sing. But alas their lyrics are somewhat less elaborately conceived and presented than those of their brethren in Tusmørke (whose lyricist holds a PhD in Nordic saga literature).

I prefer this new Jordsjø album to both Jord and the double vinyl compilation of the cassettes. It's a shame to say, but I tend to dig the maturity of things, and not least the contemporary cultural self-insight of it all. Good and solid, if perhaps not exactly great Although sometimes they almost are. Briefly.

Sickening spectacles of self-proclaimed genius,
    perceived sophistication addendum et referendum,
    walk hand-in-hand and together we'll make a grandstand
    towards my incessantly enamored anus.

I prefer this new Jordsjø album to both Jord and the double vinyl compilation of the cassettes. It's a shame to say, but I tend to dig the maturity of things, and not least the contemporary cultural self-insight of it all. Good and solid, if perhaps not exactly great Although sometimes they almost are. Briefly.
    Yes, that's exactly my take (and for the rest)

Love this one! In my top 5 of 2019!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Better than Jord? Too early to make that call but it's really, really good.

I really like that all the lyrics are in Norwegian.
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Thanks for posting Zap, sounds interesting. After I listen further, I plan to incessantly promulgate my sophisticated and arrogant views with which I am self-enamored so that I may contribute to this sickening spectacle.

Buddha, I expect you to thorough promulgate us, you arrogant bastard (I don't know what the word promulgate means but I like the way it sounds...)

Your dirty little sympho-lympho secret is out now, chaps. The mask slipped!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Banned