Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Lukather

Steve Lukather

I'm currently reading Luke's autobiography THe Gospel According to Luke while laughing my ass off!

Apparently Luke's band Toto is considered to be one of the originators of Yacht Rock and it pisses him off.

The genre is late 70s to early 80s smooth, funky jazzy California blend that started with Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees album in 77, where Luke got his start alongside Toto members Jeff Porcaro and David Paitch.

It's a fun read for anyone interested in the LA session scene from that decadent era of sex, drugs & rock n roll.

Luke is also on the two recent Guitarwank podcasts http://www.guitarwank.com/podcast
    Last edited by nosebone; 05-23-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Meh. No wonder Luke's so bitter these days.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Yacht rock definitely pre-dates Toto, but I can definitely see stuff like Rosanna and Africa getting lumped into that genre. Pablo Cruise and Christopher Cross come to mind when I hear that term. Luke is a funny guy with no filter. Dig that.

Toto also did this. Just sayin'.

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Toto is one of the quintessential yacht rock bands.

But they're also so much more, for anyone interested in exploring more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

That is hilarious, thanks for posting.

Luke's book is actually a great read. The guy has literally played with everyone over the years and tells some great stories. If you like musician autobiographies I highly recommend it.

Regarding Toto. I have always had a love / hate relationship with them. There is no doubt that they have always been fantastic musicians. Just about every album they have done I have liked some of it and loathed some of it. I think they have written some brilliant material, but I also have despised some of their stuff. I saw them live for the first time when they toured with Yes, a few years ago. It was amazing how well they could pull off their studio sound live and they were really really good, but as usual, I only liked about half of the songs. I still own a few of their albums and thought their most recent one was one of their better overall efforts.

I remember reading an interview with him back around 2002 or so, and he was talkign about all the metal bands who were detuning their guitars, saying something like "They'll eventually have the guitars tuned so low, you'll crap your pants every time they play a power chords, and it's still gonna suck!". He also was asked about the studio scene in LA at the time, and he says something like, "What scene?! There is no studio scene anymore. You go in, play four bars, and they loop it for the entire song, the session is over in 10 minutes!".

BTW, Toto had some pretty cool songs that went way beyond the MOR stuff of their hits. Songs like Goodbye Elinore showed they could rock out when they wanted to.

One of the best goddamned guitarists on earth, bar none. There are about 27 pages of songs/albums he played on at the end of the book.
    Saw him with Toxic Monkey at the Iridium, unbelievable. He comes out and says: "Welcome to the rehearsal concert! We haven't SEEN each other in eight years, we haven't rehearsed, so buckle up!" And they proceeded to just fucking kill us! He's so good.
    He's also not a fan of the name either. If they had called themselves anything else, and Porcaro wanted to do something else outside his session gigs, they'd be selling out 40,000 seat arenas like they do overseas.
    Horribly under rated guitarist in my opinion. People hear he plays for Toto they roll their eyes. And I'll GUARANTEE they've never seen that band live either. They'd change their mind and quick!
    he deserves a thread like this...

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    He's also not a fan of the name either. If they had called themselves anything else, and Porcaro wanted to do something else outside his session gigs, they'd be selling out 40,000 seat arenas like they do overseas.
    Horribly under rated guitarist in my opinion. People hear he plays for Toto they roll their eyes. And I'll GUARANTEE they've never seen that band live either. They'd change their mind and quick!
    They've also probably never heard this, either:

I think Toto was so popular (remember how huge Toto IV was?) that a lot of people don't just sort of write them off as a MOR pop confection. And as a result, I think, you have a situation like with, let's say Prince, who a lot of just have no interest in because of how popular he was. And I think there's a parallel between Luke and Prince in that both were/are amazing guitarists, but a lot of won't give either the time of day to find out.

Holy fuck that is funny!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I don't think Luke is underated.

He's been on the cover of every major guitar magazine, has a trillion albums out and I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him.

Except, Totos lyrics are incredibly cheezy and a lot of there 80s histrionics haven't aged well.

Older article about Toto's most prog moments

https://www.loudersound.com/features...ggiest-moments
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I don't think Luke is underated.

He's been on the cover of every major guitar magazine, has a trillion albums out and I've never heard anyone say a bad thing about him.

Except, Totos lyrics are incredibly cheezy and a lot of there 80s histrionics haven't aged well.
    Perhaps in the guitarist world he is, but I have a couple music buddies that are super informed and have wildly diverse tastes and roll their eyes when I mention him and they find out he's related to Toto. That's more what i was referring to as being under rated.

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Luke was surprised that Africa had such a long shelf life.

He thought it was a little wimpy last minute ditty.

I read the book a couple of months ago; thoroughly enjoyed it! Luke is a great guitar player, no doubt about it! As for Toto, I think they were a band of great musicians who purposely set out to be commercially viable. Like others here, I like some of their music a lot and some of it kinda blows (and yeah Chris, their lyrics were usually pretty awful). But when they play live, it's a different experience than listening to their albums; they stretch out a lot and let the audience know they can PLAY! I've seen them live twice and those were some great concerts!

Luke has done a lot of fusiony side projects like playing on Derek Sherinian's albums and with various bands at The Baked Potato in L.A. I had a bootleg at one time (don't know what happened to it) of him and a band playing Mahavishnu Orchestra material, I think they called it "Doves of Fire" ... or something like that. They nailed it!

If you read the book, you'll discover that he has tons of respect for a bunch of other guitar players. He feels that his own success was mostly a matter of just lucking out; being at the right place at the right time.

Ernie, do you have the album No Substitutions Luke did with Larry Carlton?

I saw that tour and it was great seeing those two play together.

Luke worships Larry.

The guy can certainly play. I only saw him once, with Ringo this past tour. Of course he was great. Way down in the mix though. (That was the only real disappointment of the show.) It was super-cool to see him let loose on "Evil Ways," "Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen" and "Oye como va" with Greg Rollie in the band. Hell, it was cool to watch Ringo drumming to Santana music.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Wonder why Rolie didn't do any of his Journey stuff?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wonderful guitar player - absolutely one of my all-time favourites. Like many other's here, I have something of an ambivalent attitude towards Toto, but my god, those guys can play! Some of Luke's Los Lobotomys and solo albums are well worth checking out to see what he can do in a somewhat less formulaic environment than Toto, and there's some great LL live footage on YouTube. Incidentally, my main guitar for many years was an Ibanez Steve Lukather model from the early 80s - wonderful instrument with a truly beautiful neck. I sold it a couple of years ago, as I needed to thin the herd and it was no longer being played much, but they're well worth tracking down if you can find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Happy that Rolie didn't do any of his Journey stuff?
    Corrected that for ya.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wonder why Rolie didn't do any of his Journey stuff?
    You mean with Ringo? Probably because it's too obscure. I'm not sure how many people even realize the first three Journey records exist. I'm not sure having Rolie sing Any Way You Want It, Wheel In The Sky, or Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' would work too well. I can't even tell you the name of the Journey songs he sang lead on, but I'm sure if they broke out any of those, you'd have an entire venue full of people scratching their heads at stuff they didn't recognize.

By contrast, practically anyone who's going to go a show like that knows Evil Ways, Black Magic Woman and Oy Como Va, since they were hits and played regularly on classic rock radio, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Corrected that for ya.
    You haven't heard the first 3 Journey discs?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    You haven't heard the first 3 Journey discs?
    Too obscure for Ringo's giant hits band.