Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Lukather

Outside of a couple of their hits, I've just never been able to get into Toto, but that's certainly not because of the caliber of the musicians, including Lukather. It might be that doing all that session work makes music more of a practical thing--a job. Toto always had that feel, to me.

I love his live album with Larry Carlton.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Outside of a couple of their hits, I've just never been able to get into Toto, but that's certainly not because of the caliber of the musicians, including Lukather. It might be that doing all that session work makes music more of a practical thing--a job. Toto always had that feel, to me.

I love his live album with Larry Carlton.
    I'm currently going thru the Toto catalog and its a real mixed bag. In general, not a fan of those big 80s productions.
    But Toto are beasts live, no doubt.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Ernie, do you have the album No Substitutions Luke did with Larry Carlton?
    No, but I've seen a live DVD of them in concert. Cool stuff!

Another question for Ernie, did you ever have to cover any Toto for the Lieutenant Dan Band?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Another question for Ernie, did you ever have to cover any Toto for the Lieutenant Dan Band?
    We play "Rosanna." And like Toto does at their live shows, we jam out at the end; a keyboard solo and guitar solo of length to be determined by the soloists. Keeping in mind that we're strictly a pop/rock cover band, it's my favorite tune in our repertoire for obvious reasons.

After seeing Toto live here in St. Paul years ago, I was converted, they were a dynamo as a live band, and ever since I have had respect for them, especially because they dare to write such diverse music for such professional musicians. After watching some of those Yacht Rock videos, I have concluded that I am a Yacht Rock fan without a doubt!(except we called it West Coast) Christopher Cross, David Garfield, Steely Dan, Kenny Loggins, Pages, Ambrosia, Jay Graydon, karizma, Los Lobotomys, Bill LaBounty, Seawind, bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You mean with Ringo? Probably because it's too obscure. I'm not sure how many people even realize the first three Journey records exist. I'm not sure having Rolie sing Any Way You Want It, Wheel In The Sky, or Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin' would work too well. I can't even tell you the name of the Journey songs he sang lead on, but I'm sure if they broke out any of those, you'd have an entire venue full of people scratching their heads at stuff they didn't recognize.

By contrast, practically anyone who's going to go a show like that knows Evil Ways, Black Magic Woman and Oy Como Va, since they were hits and played regularly on classic rock radio, etc.
    But Rolie did sing at least co-lead on Anytime, Feelin' That Way and Just the Same Way, the latter of which was a single, IIRC. I'm sure a large part of an American audience would recognize those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    But Rolie did sing at least co-lead on Anytime, Feelin' That Way and Just the Same Way, the latter of which was a single, IIRC. I'm sure a large part of an American audience would recognize those tracks.
    These are the tracks I was referring to. "Just the Same Way" would have been cool.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It would have been interesting, but not as much as the Santana songs, which definitely suited the band better.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Those aren't among the "iconic" songs. I truly believe most people would not recognize those songs. The stuff that people would recognize would be the songs I named earlier, e.g. Wheel In The Sky, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin, and Any Way You Want It. Those were the hits and the ones that get huge airplay on classic rock radio.

I never knew Steve Lukather had so many close personal pals here on PE!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Toto is definitely yacht rock.
    I know the guy can play the hell out of the guitar but I've never been able to point to anything and say "oh wow!"
    Saw him on the last 3 Ringo tours and ready for him to get flipped for someone else.
    Wasn't he supposed to release a solo record called "I Hate Every Bone In Your Body Except Mine"?
    Curious what ever happened to the record he produced for Jeff Beck?

Pretty wow at 4:35 :

^^^He pays homage to this tune unlike anyone else! And his tribute to Porcaro on the Los Lobotyms/Candyman album is nuts!

It's great playing, but borderline "While My Guitar Loudly Wails."

If one were to nitpick, that is.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Still my Guitar gently SHREDS at 3:25

This is some seriously GREAT rock guitar playing!

I would choose the versions with Gilbert and Lukather over the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I would choose the versions with Gilbert and Lukather over the original.
    Context helps, though. 1968 was a much different time.

And, I might add that I think Eric's guitar work at the end is perfect. The simplicity of 13 repeats of the same note really carries the theme through.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Context helps, though. 1968 was a much different time.

And, I might add that I think Eric's guitar work at the end is perfect. The simplicity of 13 repeats of the same note really carries the theme through.
    Context does help, sure. For me, right now it's 2019 and if I wanted to listen to that song, I would choose the two I mentioned over the original.

Luke is on a third Guitarwank podcast for those interested.

He has some great stories!

http://www.guitarwank.com/podcast

Steve apparently was angered by neighbors’ gardener running blowers at 7am, so he set up an amp on his backyard trampoline and went to town:

A new clip posted to the Toto guitarist’s Instagram account shows a pajamaed Lukather absolutely tearing up the fretboard at 7am, with trampoline-mounted amp running at full volume, in response to his neighbors’ gardeners and their power tools. Luke yells “GOOD MORNING!” afterwards, for good measure. The video is accompanied by the caption, “What happens when the dickhead neighbors’ gardener starts up 10 blowers at 7am! #goodmorningsunshine #fuckyou”

Video here: https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram...a7c9179044249f

That was great! I love the dog

Glad he doesn’t live next to me 😅

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Glad he doesn’t live next to me 😅
    I'd have to pull this stuff out of the garage. Bring it Lukather!

Ampeg ultimate rig.jpg

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Toto, "Falling in Between" (not Yacht Rock)

Steve Lukather, "Smell Yourself"
    Chad