Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OPETH - "In Cauda Venenum" Fall 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    Is the record label or the artist responsible for approving the final mix? Whomever, they should be ashamed of the final product.
    The mix is clearly an artistic choice, and in my opinion a good one. Someone mentioned Rainbow Rising, and I would also mention 80's heavy metal music. Yes, it's flat, very flat, but it's a good, very good flat mix that adds power and heaviness to the music.

The problem is not the mix, but the compositions which are - as is so often the case with Opeth - hit or miss. Moments of greatness combined with passages which seem alien to the overall flow of the song (the Universal Truth), or songs which seem alien to the flow of the album (Lovelorn Crime, the Garroter). There is this lack of coherence or strategic clarity that one should expect from Opeth nowadays (anyway, I do).

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    gave this a listen, and like with their last 2 albums before this, still not coming close to the heights they reached with Heritage. :/
    I agree. Heritage and Ghost Reveries are the 2 Opeth albums that I truly like.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Moments of greatness combined with passages which seem alien to the overall flow of the song
    This sums up Akerfeldt's writing style IMO. It's not always clear why some songs last 4-5 minutes and others more than 10, as they often seem randomly put together from various unrelated bits music. Each musical section is usually great but on what basis they are assembled together to form a song does not always seem to make sense.

I'm enjoying the new album so far, though I've only had one complete listen of the Swedish version and started the English one (3 tracks in). I agree about the mix, as it does seem a bit flat and muddy to me, but maybe that's what they were going for. It does seem better than Sorceress to my ears (the mix) and I like the music better. Still not as good as Pale and Heritage, but I need more listens to say for sure.

I think Charlatan is the only track I'm not that keen on, otherwise this album gets better each time I play it. One of my faves of the year for sure.

My white vinyl copy arrived a couple days ago. I’m waiting until my brother can come over and we can listen to it together. Want to save it so we’ll both hear it together with fresh ears.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    My white vinyl copy arrived a couple days ago. I’m waiting until my brother can come over and we can listen to it together. Want to save it so we’ll both hear it together with fresh ears.
    I'll be curious what you think. I have my issues with the sound, but I've gone a bit back-and-forth on the actual music so far - but still trying (which says something in and of itself).
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Ok, Ingen Sanning Ar Allas is teally growing on me. Might be my fav tune right now. Love the acoustic throughout but then also the 80s metal section.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I haven't heard the album yet, but asked my son (a drummer) what he thinks - I mentioned the Tool comments. He thought the Tool comparison (excluding the recent Tool album since he has not heard that one) was a bit unfair as he has always felt Tool's drum sounds are all attack, very little midrange and are rather cold sounding. He likes the Opeth mix. I trust his ears.
    see if you can compare that to Beardfish-Void, check out that subtle snare work down to very fine detailing... Some riffs on Cauda are really moving/exciting, but I'd rather hear those with better clarity and punch. can gauge that vs Nazareth-Hair of The Dog from that same beloved 70s era, sounding very modern. Cauda feel is like back in the days of cassette players... and I was wishing to have it in bluray 5.1 24/96 etc... nah.

Their best since Heritage. 'The garroter' and 'Charlatan' are gems.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If the sound quality isn't much better than Sorceress then I'm happy to leave this one unpurchased/unheard.
    I'd be curious to what you think....you should give it a shot. Find your inner Swede,,,,ya ya ya.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'd be curious to what you think....you should give it a shot. Find your inner Swede,,,,ya ya ya.
    What are your thoughts on the mix, Frank? I know you weren't crazy about the mixing on Sorceress (which I've never heard), so I'm just curious how this one compares to it in your opinion.

I've been saving the album until my brother can come over and we can hear it together for the first time.

Is the record label or the artist responsible for approving the final mix? Whomever, they should be ashamed of the final product.
    One important thing to remember is that no two people hear exactly the same way. We all have different ears (literally), and process sound differently from one another -- this is why there are companies developing headphones that are designed to be calibrated to your unique hearing "fingerprint".

So what sounds great to one person might sound muddy to someone else.

What are your thoughts on the mix, Frank? I know you weren't crazy about the mixing on Sorceress (which I've never heard), so I'm just curious how this one compares to it in your opinion.

I've been saving the album until my brother can come over and we can hear it together for the first time.
    I really am disappointed with the mix. The music itself is growing on me but the sonics have become a bit of a roadblock for me. Obviously this is Mikaels choice and his art, but I am unsure about what he likes about the sound of this album? These guys have amazing resources in terms of studio choice, engineers, big budgets....but I scratch my head and wonder is this truly the best that you can do in 2019 under those circumstances? I always loved the sound of those older albums, basically when SW got on board with Blackwater Park until at least Watershed....all have great sonic qualities. Past two albums? Not so much for me. Pale Communion sounds better as well imo. The snare drum alone on this thing is flat, indistinct, and has little drive.

So many albums in the last 35 years have been ruined by the mix and or master. I also think that a lot of these musicians are losing their hearing from playing loud all the time. When they hear a mix, they can no longer appreciate dynamics and less processed sounds. All they hear is LOUDNESS and believe it sounds good.

...anyhoo, I did spring for a digital copy of the (DAMN CRAZY) Swedish version of the album. Haven't had the urge to put it on yet but will do so one of these afternoons
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

So many albums in the last 35 years have been ruined by the mix and or master. I also think that a lot of these musicians are losing their hearing from playing loud all the time. When they hear a mix, they can no longer appreciate dynamics and less processed sounds. All they hear is LOUDNESS and believe it sounds good.
    Opinions seem to differ. Talking about the mix: What's interesting to me is that there are people (in this thread, and elsewhere) who say that In Cauda Venenum sounds good. Even going so far as to say that it's as good as -- or better than -- Pale Communion's mix.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    ...anyhoo, I did spring for a digital copy of the (DAMN CRAZY) Swedish version of the album. Haven't had the urge to put it on yet but will do so one of these afternoons
    The Swedish version is the one I sprung for as well. Love Mikael's voice, so when given with the option of hearing him sing in his native language, it seemed like a no-brainer.

The version I have has two discs. One in English, one in Swedish.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    The version I have has two discs. One in English, one in Swedish.
    Ah, yeah I got the vinyl edition so it's either one or the other with those.

I really am disappointed with the mix. The music itself is growing on me but the sonics have become a bit of a roadblock for me. Obviously this is Mikaels choice and his art, but I am unsure about what he likes about the sound of this album? These guys have amazing resources in terms of studio choice, engineers, big budgets....but I scratch my head and wonder is this truly the best that you can do in 2019 under those circumstances? I always loved the sound of those older albums, basically when SW got on board with Blackwater Park until at least Watershed....all have great sonic qualities. Past two albums? Not so much for me. Pale Communion sounds better as well imo. The snare drum alone on this thing is flat, indistinct, and has little drive.
    well, 30 years from now another SW will jump to opportunity to remix with 2050 resources!

Ah, yeah I got the vinyl edition so it's either one or the other with those.
    Oh, I see. I think you probably mentioned that a few pages back. I haven't listened to the English one yet. I'm totally fine with the Swedish.
    <sig out of order>

Opinions seem to differ. Talking about the mix: What's interesting to me is that there are people (in this thread, and elsewhere) who say that In Cauda Venenum sounds good. Even going so far as to say that it's as good as -- or better than -- Pale Communion's mix.
    aith01, it appears every post I make you have to disagree with. You mention everyone hears differently, I agree. Not once have I heard anyone saying that Steely Dan's "Aja" has a bad mix. There are numerous other albums that have stellar mixes that people don't point out... hey that mix sucks. But more than one poster on this topic has mentioned a bad mix. The musicians in Opeth and their engineers have ruined their ears by years of playing/listening to music at loud volumes and that shows in this mix.

Do you like the mix? Do you think this mix is as good as Steely Dan's "Aja"? And don't give me the it's a different type of music so the mix should be different. I'm talking about dynamics, clear sound, every instrument being heard clearly in the mix, proper balance in the stereo field, etc. Many metal discs meet this criteria but not "In Cauda Venenum".

aith01, it appears every post I make you have to disagree with. You mention everyone hears differently, I agree. Not once have I heard anyone saying that Steely Dan's "Aja" has a bad mix. There are numerous other albums that have stellar mixes that people don't point out... hey that mix sucks. But more than one poster on this topic has mentioned a bad mix. The musicians in Opeth and their engineers have ruined their ears by years of playing/listening to music at loud volumes and that shows in this mix.

Do you like the mix? Do you think this mix is as good as Steely Dan's "Aja"? And don't give me the it's a different type of music so the mix should be different. I'm talking about dynamics, clear sound, every instrument being heard clearly in the mix, proper balance in the stereo field, etc. Many metal discs meet this criteria but not "In Cauda Venenum".
    I'm not falling for this again.

This does bum me out to hear. I hope that in the long run the music itself is able to win out in spite of how the mix sounds.

The Swedish version is the one I sprung for as well. Love Mikael's voice, so when given with the option of hearing him sing in his native language, it seemed like a no-brainer.
    His voice is fantastic. Speaking strictly for myself, I wish he had a better musical foundation behind it. This is the one he wants and loves, and I'm very happy for him and his success.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com