Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: OPETH - "In Cauda Venenum" Fall 2019

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    My point was not to polarize opinions, but I expressed amazement at the fact that despite our opposite comments, we enjoy Opeth, albeit for completely different reasons. It was meant as a positive thing, not an attempt to divide or to claim that one vision is better than the other.
    I understand Sorry if I sounded like I was suggesting you were causing a divide (you clearly weren't)...I was just musing out loud.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well, I finally gave it a listen last night with my younger brother (who is a bigger fan of Opeth than I am). He didn’t notice or comment on anything about the mix itself. I wonder if it sounds better on vinyl than digital because of the way it’s mixed. I’ll be checking out the digital version soon hopefully.

But to my ears, it sounds good so far. *shrug*

As a side note, I asked my brother if he had ever listened to Änglagård, but he hasn’t. So I told him he should, because he appreciates that eerie sound that crops up sometimes in Opeth’s stuff (Heritage is probably his favorite). I said that Änglagård evokes dark, Swedish forests in the fall and wintertime, and that he should listen to all three of their studio albums.
    Well after calling Nuclear Blast a number of times I finally convinced them to release the 24bit to the Hi Rez services. What a revelation! Anybody like myself disappointed in the 16bit ought to check this out if you have the capability to listen to 24bit. Dramatic difference. Mixes open up and now it's not just a bunch of murk

I'm fine with the sound. I think it adds to the atmosphere. I'm loving the album. Could be my favorite?

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Interesting commentary. I've wondered if the vinyl has a different mix, particularly in the frequency range that he (and I) found most problematic. When I was messing around with trying to re-EQ it, I couldn't really tell if the problem was the drums or bass guitar. The bass sound is weird on much of this (but I guess that's just Méndez's sound). It doesn't stand out that much and seems like it really plays a supporting role to the guitars and fills in (perhaps a bit too much) the low end (the Myung effect). It doesn't have much if any of that Squire/Lee clanky-ness to help define it. So maybe it could have used some EQ-ing to help focus and define it and perhaps it wouldn't have stepped on other instruments as much.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Interesting commentary. I've wondered if the vinyl has a different mix, particularly in the frequency range that he (and I) found most problematic. When I was messing around with trying to re-EQ it, I couldn't really tell if the problem was the drums or bass guitar. The bass sound is weird on much of this (but I guess that's just Méndez's sound). It doesn't stand out that much and seems like it really plays a supporting role to the guitars and fills in (perhaps a bit too much) the low end (the Myung effect). It doesn't have much if any of that Squire/Lee clanky-ness to help define it. So maybe it could have used some EQ-ing to help focus and define it and perhaps it wouldn't have stepped on other instruments as much.
    This guy might be on to something when he said it was possibly recorded onto analog tape. Can that be confirmed (either way)? Pretty good review overall.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This guy might be on to something when he said it was possibly recorded onto analog tape. Can that be confirmed (either way)? Pretty good review overall.
    Curious... If that was the case, could it result in a "better" sounding album when played on vinyl as opposed to from a digital source? I'm genuinely interested in this!

Curious... If that was the case, could it result in a "better" sounding album when played on vinyl as opposed to from a digital source? I'm genuinely interested in this!
    Great question - I don't see why it would sound better on vinyl but its certainly possible I guess? Overall it still sounds better than Sorceress, which is their low point production-wise since the early, early daze (pre-Still Life). Heritage and Pale Communion sound terrific, and both had SW involved....coincidence? Probably not.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I was thinking the reason it could sound better on vinyl is that sometimes the low end is dialed back a bit in comparison to the CD mix.

As far as the whole recorded on tape thing I have no idea, but there are also digital effects plugins that simulate tape saturation. If someone went overboard with those it could muddy things up. I don't really have a huge issue with how this album sounds though.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.