Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OPETH - "In Cauda Venenum" Fall 2019

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    His voice is fantastic. Speaking strictly for myself, I wish he had a better musical foundation behind it. This is the one he wants and loves, and I'm very happy for him and his success.
    Totally understandable. I'm not a huge Opeth fan myself, but I have liked some of their stuff over the years. And of course, like you said, he has a wonderful voice.

Have you heard the album he did with Steven Wilson, called Storm Corrosion? You probably have, unless you were living under a rock in 2012 when it came out. But I liked that one a lot, because it showcased his singing a lot more due to its sparse instrumentation. "Drag Ropes" is such a haunting song, IMO. Someone said that "it sounded like Gentle Giant's Octopus being slowly digested to death by a shadow fungus". I kinda agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    The musicians in Opeth and their engineers have ruined their ears by years of playing/listening to music at loud volumes and that shows in this mix.
    I am someone who feels strongly that Opeth's mixes of late are not good. I do not think this is a loudness problem.

Loudness issues usually result in overemphasis on highs, or shrill tone because that is most frequently what's lost due to hearing damage (higher frequencies penetrate the ear much more effectively than low frequencies). The mix I'm hearing isn't a brick wall or overly shrill; what I hear is a distinct excess of low/mids in the 200-400hz range. Normally this is a frequency range that is trimmed a bit to add clarity to the mix; too much of it tends to leave the music sounding it is under a blanket.

It is IMHO an artistic choice because this is normally an area that a mastering engineer will address unless instructed to do otherwise. It is an artistic choice that I dislike greatly, mind you...but an artistic choice nonetheless rather than one caused by hearing issues.

I M H O
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Totally understandable. I'm not a huge Opeth fan myself, but I have liked some of their stuff over the years. And of course, like you said, he has a wonderful voice.

Have you heard the album he did with Steven Wilson, called Storm Corrosion? You probably have, unless you were living under a rock in 2012 when it came out. But I liked that one a lot, because it showcased his singing a lot more due to its sparse instrumentation. "Drag Ropes" is such a haunting song, IMO. Someone said that "it sounded like Gentle Giant's Octopus being slowly digested to death by a shadow fungus". I kinda agree!
    I do have it. It's a pleasant enough listen (I know the subject matter isn't exactly something one would call "pleasant" but I mean the overall musical atmosphere ). I personally find it less engaging than other stuff that covers similar territory: Sleepingdog, Comus, late-era Talk Talk, Demen, even the more folk-esque passages of The 3rd and the Mortal or Anekdoten.

I know I say it regularly, but it bears repeating...this has more to do with my own shifting tastes and interests than any actual decline in quality from Akerfeldt. Mix choices notwithstanding, these later albums receive serious praise from far too many corners for it to be a case of "folks are just being blind fanboys." I just don't connect with his material as well as I once did. Which is fine. I still enjoy the live shows for the earlier tunes (and some of the later songs IMHO translate better live, where the mix issues are removed from the equation).

I'm driving up to Orion tonight to see our own Mr. Roth-Handle tear it up tonight; if the mood strikes I might give the new album a first listen...or, I might just go back to spinning Cult of Luna or Makeup + Vanity Set
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I really am disappointed with the mix. The music itself is growing on me but the sonics have become a bit of a roadblock for me. Obviously this is Mikaels choice and his art, but I am unsure about what he likes about the sound of this album? These guys have amazing resources in terms of studio choice, engineers, big budgets....but I scratch my head and wonder is this truly the best that you can do in 2019 under those circumstances? I always loved the sound of those older albums, basically when SW got on board with Blackwater Park until at least Watershed....all have great sonic qualities. Past two albums? Not so much for me. Pale Communion sounds better as well imo. The snare drum alone on this thing is flat, indistinct, and has little drive.
    I'm glad it's not just me. I'm having trouble getting into this album because it gives me ear fatigue (or seems to, anyway). Still, there are parts that have stuck out to me as being quite good, his vocals are terrific as well.

Having given the album 15+ listens, I am no loving this release.

For me it's definitely the best and I think the album most realizes what I think was Mikael Åkerfeldt's goal with the band's sound evolution from Heritage onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I'm glad it's not just me. I'm having trouble getting into this album because it gives me ear fatigue (or seems to, anyway). Still, there are parts that have stuck out to me as being quite good, his vocals are terrific as well.
    I hear you! Material is really strong. catchy riffs, grand orchestrations... epic indeed. maybe the last track is missing something. But funny how it all starts with deep and clear soundscapes hitting some realy low Hz. So you'd be expecting the number to open with magnum slam... and suddenly Dignity starts quite shallow, so you go for volume knob. Listening in LofFi is making things better, can play with EQ etc but not ideal.
    Are they using some sort of template for mixing? Been stuck in that realm for a while now. BTW, I hear same thing with other bands: eg IQ... their Ever and Subterranea were benchmark of production, and then they lost that lush spectrum width, mostly the low end.
    Last edited by sergio; 10-10-2019 at 06:40 PM.

I am blessed or cursed in that I don't notice things like mixes. It sounds great to me and after two spins this is one of my recent favorites. I give it a score of 17 because scores don't matter. Just putting it out there so that others who don't care about mixes aren't scared away.

Just listened to this album, have been mostly out on Opeth for the last decade but I think it's going to get me back in.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I am blessed or cursed in that I don't notice things like mixes. It sounds great to me and after two spins this is one of my recent favorites. I give it a score of 17 because scores don't matter. Just putting it out there so that others who don't care about mixes aren't scared away.
    I may not like a mix sometimes but it has never stopped me buying an album or listening to the music.

Well, I finally gave it a listen last night with my younger brother (who is a bigger fan of Opeth than I am). He didn’t notice or comment on anything about the mix itself. I wonder if it sounds better on vinyl than digital because of the way it’s mixed. I’ll be checking out the digital version soon hopefully.

But to my ears, it sounds good so far. *shrug*

As a side note, I asked my brother if he had ever listened to Änglagård, but he hasn’t. So I told him he should, because he appreciates that eerie sound that crops up sometimes in Opeth’s stuff (Heritage is probably his favorite). I said that Änglagård evokes dark, Swedish forests in the fall and wintertime, and that he should listen to all three of their studio albums.
    Last edited by aith01; 10-13-2019 at 12:02 AM.

^Yes he should! That's quite a discovery....I would love to hear Epilog with fresh ears again.

Glad you are digging it man. I think everyone should hear everything with their own ears. I haven't giving up on this album btw, I can still listen to it with a certain amount of enjoyment regarding of the mix/master

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Just listening for the first time on my KRK monitors. It doesn't sound bad at all. The drums are not distant or buried. Well, maybe the snare could be slightly more up front. The kick sounds massive. I didn't pick up on that at all while listening in the car which apparently cannot reproduce those low frequencies. In the car, these low frequencies simply tax the amplifier and serve to muddy things up. Maybe that would be the case with earbuds too? It would be cool to hear an LP rip to see if there's a bit less low end which could help to provide some clarity.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

on a side note re mix etc... going through Aristocrats-You Lnow What... mix cant get any better than that. Of course this is instrumental and less layered etc, but heavy guitars and rythm section all right. Super engaging!

^Yes he should! That's quite a discovery....I would love to hear Epilog with fresh ears again.
    Same here! It's getting close to that time of year when the Änglagård style is appropriate once again. A chill in the air; leaves rustling in the wind... Makes me happy.

I need to spin their most recent album again, as it's been several months. As I recall, it fit nicely alongside Hybris and Epilog. I like the format of 4 long tracks too.

Glad you are digging it man. I think everyone should hear everything with their own ears. I haven't giving up on this album btw, I can still listen to it with a certain amount of enjoyment regarding of the mix/master
    Thanks, my man. I think we all hear things differently, and that's okay. I know you haven't given up on it. (And I can only comment on the vinyl edition so far; the digital/CD version may sound completely different.)

There are a few albums in my collection that have a less-than-stellar mix/mastering job, but I still love the music in spite of that -- Soft Machine's Third being a prime candidate! Seriously, what happened there?

What's your favorite track from In Cauda? So far, I think mine is "The Garroter" (or "Banemannen" in Swedish).
    Last edited by aith01; 10-14-2019 at 11:01 PM.

I do have it. It's a pleasant enough listen (I know the subject matter isn't exactly something one would call "pleasant" but I mean the overall musical atmosphere ). I personally find it less engaging than other stuff that covers similar territory: Sleepingdog, Comus, late-era Talk Talk, Demen, even the more folk-esque passages of The 3rd and the Mortal or Anekdoten.
    I had a feeling you didn't mean "pleasant" with regard to the subject matter.

But I know what you mean. Of those groups, the only one I'm familiar with is Talk Talk (who I absolutely love). I have that Chapters set by Anekdoten, but haven't listened to the whole thing. I know, I know... I really need to.

"Drag Ropes" in particular I think is a really good song. That bridge with the piano and strings is especially haunting to me.

I know I say it regularly, but it bears repeating...this has more to do with my own shifting tastes and interests than any actual decline in quality from Akerfeldt. Mix choices notwithstanding, these later albums receive serious praise from far too many corners for it to be a case of "folks are just being blind fanboys." I just don't connect with his material as well as I once did. Which is fine. I still enjoy the live shows for the earlier tunes (and some of the later songs IMHO translate better live, where the mix issues are removed from the equation).

I'm driving up to Orion tonight to see our own Mr. Roth-Handle tear it up tonight; if the mood strikes I might give the new album a first listen...or, I might just go back to spinning Cult of Luna or Makeup + Vanity Set
    This is something I completely understand, as I've experienced similar things myself with artists I once followed closely. Neal Morse was once someone I thought could do no wrong, but over the past 10 years I've really moved into other musical areas and just don't find his style as enjoyable as I once did. I still dig those old Spock's Beard albums (lots of emotional/sentimental value personally), and Transatlantic is a fun throwback, but that's about it for me. His music still moves people, and I'm glad that it does. It's just not really for me anymore.

Hope you had a good time at the show! What album did you listen to on the drive there?

Side note: I feel I should point out that I do really like Neal Morse's The Grand Experiment. It's the only one of his solo albums I actually own now, and I think the band collaboration approach is a big reason why I enjoyed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    ...word...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Hope you had a good time at the show! What album did you listen to on the drive there?
    Mattias is always awesome and this show/band was no exception It was a great show and a great time.

Listened to Cult of Luna, Floating Spectrum, and Starcadian on the drive. I thought about playing the Opeth but...NAH

Listened to Cult of Luna, Floating Spectrum, and Starcadian on the drive. I thought about playing the Opeth but...NAH
    Should I check out those three bands out? Always looking for "new" quality metal products. Gotta say, the live Opeth Red Rocks album is pretty bitchin'....fuck that shit sounds fat as balls in my car.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Cult of Luna is amazing, and their new album sounds like Swans gone full metal. Easily in my top 10 of the year.

Floating Spectrum is ambient electronics with an abstract, "west coast" edge. It's very much my cuppa these days, of course it's slightly different and mileage varies, etc..

Starcadian is..WAAAAY outside the Prog Ears bell curve in all the most wrong ways (not "too edgy for these wimps" wrong but more "wait, you're NOT taking the piss?!?" wrong). But I love the hell out of it, especially on long drives and gym workouts, and I'd toss out every Opeth album post-Ghost Reveries in a heartbeat rather than part with this one. Sooo...if you ever wondered what might happen if Dr Doom fronted Daft Punk, you might not regret clicking -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csYjk5m4_PY

I'm officially giving up on the new Opeth. It's not an awful record. It's just not for me. It'll be fine seeing them live in a few months, hearing some of the earlier catalog.

I'm officially giving up on the new Opeth. It's not an awful record. It's just not for me. It'll be fine seeing them live in a few months, hearing some of the earlier catalog.
    Funny how this band can polarize opinions. The new album is right up my alley but I most definitely won't be seeing them live because I see they are still playing many old death metal tunes.

Cult of Luna is amazing, and their new album sounds like Swans gone full metal. Easily in my top 10 of the year.

Floating Spectrum is ambient electronics with an abstract, "west coast" edge. It's very much my cuppa these days, of course it's slightly different and mileage varies, etc..

Starcadian is..WAAAAY outside the Prog Ears bell curve in all the most wrong ways (not "too edgy for these wimps" wrong but more "wait, you're NOT taking the piss?!?" wrong). But I love the hell out of it, especially on long drives and gym workouts, and I'd toss out every Opeth album post-Ghost Reveries in a heartbeat rather than part with this one. Sooo...if you ever wondered what might happen if Dr Doom fronted Daft Punk, you might not regret clicking -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csYjk5m4_PY

Cool - I'll check that stuff out - thx man.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Funny how this band can polarize opinions. The new album is right up my alley but I most definitely won't be seeing them live because I see they are still playing many old death metal tunes.
    Nothing funny about it at all, it's frankly natural. Any band that pretty dramatically shifts their sound is going to polarize the fanbase to some degree. Nothing wrong with that, but old fans are under no obligation to follow the group into new territory...nor are new fans obligated to unilaterally love everything that came before.

Nothing funny about it at all, it's frankly natural. Any band that pretty dramatically shifts their sound is going to polarize the fanbase to some degree. Nothing wrong with that, but old fans are under no obligation to follow the group into new territory...nor are new fans obligated to unilaterally love everything that came before.
    We completely agree. I just find it very extreme in Opeth's case.

I dunno...I suspect the Genesis fanbase circa, say, 1986 was pretty darn well divided. Old fans gagging themselves in horror while new fans were happy for the old medley in concert so they had a nice long time to hit the bathrooms

I think a forum like this exaggerates the divide. Opeth's sales have not plummeted as a result of their shift; critical reviews are arguably as strong or stronger than before. The shows I've seen were packed houses, no big exodus for either old OR new material. Hell, they played freaking Red Rocks!! My own subjective assessment of the new music from the band is certainly valid; however, I don't really think it reflects any real majority opinion.

I think a forum like this exaggerates the divide.
    My point was not to polarize opinions, but I expressed amazement at the fact that despite our opposite comments, we enjoy Opeth, albeit for completely different reasons. It was meant as a positive thing, not an attempt to divide or to claim that one vision is better than the other.