Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OPETH - "In Cauda Venenum" Fall 2019

It sounds like they've hit their stride with this progressive direction! I think they're genius...and I'm always thrilled with Axes' drumming, he adds so much to the band!

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Wow!!! That sounds really good.
    The Prog Corner

I'll be getting this for sure, as I've loved the last 3 albums pretty much equally (though my favorite of the three is Pale Communion).

I never got into them in the death growl days, though there is certainly good material on those albums. I just find that all death growls sound the same to me and they get annoying to me very quickly. That said, Opeth certainly kept the music more to my liking in those days, so I would tolerate the vocals to enjoy the music. I for one am quite happy he's left that behind him.

Anyway, very much looking forward to this!

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    I'll be getting this for sure, as I've loved the last 3 albums pretty much equally (though my favorite of the three is Pale Communion).

I never got into them in the death growl days, though there is certainly good material on those albums. I just find that all death growls sound the same to me and they get annoying to me very quickly. That said, Opeth certainly kept the music more to my liking in those days, so I would tolerate the vocals to enjoy the music. I for one am quite happy he's left that behind him.

Anyway, very much looking forward to this!
    Ditto, the death growls are not for me although I did get Watershed which seems to be the transitional album and edited out the 'growling' parts.

Been spinning the two new tracks (in Swedish) a few times, and although I dig the tunes a bunch (good shtuff), I'm still not a fan of the sound/production. I think its the mastering - it has that sort of "flat" sounding spectrum that has been the trademark of the past few albums. I just think this music could have more bite, punch, sheen....and this warm approach doesn't do it any favors. Just do an A/B of the new tracks to something like "Baying of the Hounds" and you'll hear the difference night and day....not that I want another Ghost Reveries but the music pulls you in right away, in part due to the sonics and production. imo.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Great review as usual! Man you can really write quite well

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great review as usual! Man you can really write quite well
    Oh, thank you very much! Kind of you.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Oh, thank you very much! Kind of you.
    Hopefully you'll keep writing reviews if we feed you compliments

Sort of O/T a bit, but yesterday I made an Opeth playlist on Spot which was (in full) Heritage, Pale Communion, and Sorceress - and then listened on shuffle mode. I own the discs of course but hearing these tunes in this context made them sound a bit fresher and more interesting to me. I have generally struggled a bit with these three albums but this playlist may alter my opinion. Definitely looking forward the new one(s).

PS - what on Earth was going on with that snare tone on Sorceress?! IT's very THUD-ish. The snare on the other two albums sounds snappier and crisper to me.

Hopefully you'll keep writing reviews if we feed you compliments

Sort of O/T a bit, but yesterday I made an Opeth playlist on Spot which was (in full) Heritage, Pale Communion, and Sorceress - and then listened on shuffle mode. I own the discs of course but hearing these tunes in this context made them sound a bit fresher and more interesting to me. I have generally struggled a bit with these three albums but this playlist may alter my opinion. Definitely looking forward the new one(s).
    Haha... I'll keep writing them regardless. But flattery will get you everywhere!

I think you may find the new one the best of the last several. But I'm not always right about popular opinion...

Thanks for the review Progatron, looking forward to this.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    In.

Are they doing a 5.1 with this?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Are they doing a 5.1 with this?
    Not that I'm aware of. There are a ton of different options available at their web shop though.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Seems like you can only get it with the boxed set/vinyl.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Seems like you can only get it with the boxed set/vinyl.
    Oh, you're right! So there is a 5.1 blu-ray. But I'll never have it, since I don't buy vinyl boxed sets. Looks pretty nice for whoever does though. Just the 2-CD version for me!

This one is a great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    I saw this too, loved it, he's very engaging. I'd love to hang out with him and peruse his record collection.

Nice review. Thanks!
    I'm looking forward to Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post

He's always a great interviewee! Hilarious! That bag of music is why he fits so perfectly into he prog bag!

This one is good too:

Funny, those three albums are what made me a fan. Not just because there were no growls either (though I was never a fan of the growling). I will probably have to go back and pick up a few of their albums between Blackwater Park and these three, as I gave up after hearing that one. Though I do have Damnation and like it, for obvious reasons.

Just ordered the new one, looking forward to hearing it!