Thread: The Mercury Tree on tour

The Mercury Tree on tour

I should have posted this earlier, but I spaced out a bit.

I saw these guys at Orion a few days ago. I had seen them before, but they are now playing strictly microtonally (17 notes to the octave) and it was really impressive and ramped up my personal interest in what they do.

It sounds really normal....until it doesn't.

If I haven't scared you off, then go see them; there's still some shows left!

May 21 St. Louis, MO Foam w/ Ish + Human Monster
    May 22 Lincoln, NE Duffy's w/ Gnawstic + Deadly Pops
    May 23 Kansas City, MO Minibar w/ After Nations + Jorge Arana Trio
    May 24 Tulsa, OK Hunt Club w/ Dachshund + Oceanaut
    May 25 Austin, TX Swan Dive w/ Opposite Day, Trying Science, Mode Dodeca, Catbamboo
    May 26 Midland, TX Unicorn's Lair
    May 29 Santa Fe, NM The CAVE w/ Frenetic Forces, Marrow Monger, Colossal Swan Dive, Noogy
    May 30 San Diego, CA San Diego Content Partners
    June 1 Oakland, CA Golden Bull w/ Inner Ear Brigade + Jack o' the Clock
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It is fascinating stuff, and works much better than you'd initially think. Spidermilk (their latest, the entire album is in the 17-note tuning) is thoroughly worthwhile, and verges on great. The key artistic insight they seem to have had is that the 17-note tuning's odd wrongness depicts emotional turmoil almost perfectly - the dissonance beyond dissonance, lurching into a key change that falls into the crack between keys, not-really-resolving to a consonance that isn't really consonant. So emotional turmoil is what the lyrics are almost entirely about, whether failed relationships, dysfunctional human beings, or a toxic society; and they provide a context for music that unsettling and a reason it must be that unsettling. Plus, Ben Spees is a hell of a songwriter, and even his strange new medium doesn't take that away from him.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-21-2019 at 05:51 PM.

they were in Minneapolis a few weeks ago, and I wanted to go, but I passed for my wife. I have seen them like 3 or 4 times, but when you buy a house and have Closing costs to deal with, some things like concerts and contributing to Patreons have to go.

Quite wonderful live. If you can, do go
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I saw them in Boston last week and thought they were awesome! Unfortunately, only ~15 other people there. More people should know about this band.

Also had a chance to chat with their bassist after the show and thought he was a great guy!