Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VEZHLIVY OTKAZ [aka POLITE REFUSAL] play in the USA in June

VEZHLIVY OTKAZ [aka POLITE REFUSAL] play in the USA in June

"Vezhlivy Otkaz, which means “Polite Refusal” in English, is one of the most original and erratic rock bands in Russia. They were formed in 1985 with a then-popular reggae/ska blend.

Since then, they have gone through numerous stylistic changes, flirting with everything from free jazz to Russian folk. Their sound, however, has always been unique and immediately recognizable.

Roman Suslov’s rhythmic guitar work and unusual high-pitched vocals gives VO’s music a precisely constructed, crystal-clear sound that is completely devoid of any of the extra noise so typical of rock-n-roll. The sound is so well organized that sounds almost academic."

This is the band's first USA shows in nearly 20 years!! They will be touring as a trio.

The schedule is:

June 15 - Instituto Cervantes Chicago - 31 W Ohio St - Chicago, Illinois 60654

June 17 - Nighttown - 12387 Cedar Road - Cleveland Heights, OH 44106

June 19 - RhizomeDC - 6950 Maple St NW - Washington DC 20012 [tickets at the door]

June 21 - JetLAG Festival 2019 - Peaceful Valley Campsite - 486 Banker Rd, Downsville NY

June 23 - DROM - 85 Avenue A - New York, New York 10009

You can hear their latest album here!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Fantastic news, ticket bought for NYC.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

You lucky bastards, you

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    You lucky bastards, you
    You take that back!!!!!

I'm putting them up at my house for two days in order for them to have a DC date so I can see them!!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

I'll be at the Cleveland Heights show, most likely.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You take that back!!!!!

I'm putting them up at my house for two days in order for them to have a DC date so I can see them!!

Hey invite me over and I’ll bring the vodka. Any-who, see you at Rhizome and thanks as always for your patronage...
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Love this stuff, wish I could see them..
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Seconded. If it was within a day's drive......
    But I just live too damn far away.

Good Day music fans ~

Thanks for posting that video Dave Sr. VERY nice and it took me right back to the joy I felt when Hoyry Kone played down at ProgDay. Is that video the same lineup and band coming here to the states? I'm a bit confused....

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "Vezhlivy Otkaz, which means “Polite Refusal” in English, is one of the most original and erratic rock bands in Russia. They were formed in 1985 with a then-popular reggae/ska blend.

Since then, they have gone through numerous stylistic changes, flirting with everything from free jazz to Russian folk. Their sound, however, has always been unique and immediately recognizable.

Roman Suslov’s rhythmic guitar work and unusual high-pitched vocals gives VO’s music a precisely constructed, crystal-clear sound that is completely devoid of any of the extra noise so typical of rock-n-roll. The sound is so well organized that sounds almost academic."

This is the band's first USA shows in nearly 20 years!! They will be touring as a trio.

The schedule is:

June 15 - Instituto Cervantes Chicago - 31 W Ohio St - Chicago, Illinois 60654

June 17 - Nighttown - 12387 Cedar Road - Cleveland Heights, OH 44106

June 19 - RhizomeDC - 6950 Maple St NW - Washington DC 20012 [tickets at the door]

June 21 - JetLAG Festival 2019 - Peaceful Valley Campsite - 486 Banker Rd, Downsville NY

June 23 - DROM - 85 Avenue A - New York, New York 10009

You can hear their latest album here!
    Just a little correction. According to the DROM website, the NYC show is on 6/25 (and not 6/23) at 9PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post

Wonderful, just wonderful music. And the moment that stumbling, hiccuping, fractured oompah beat kicks in - which could only be marched to by someone or something with five legs - you know that the only thing that could equal it is singing in Russian, with its plenitude of "KXCHKCHKXCH" sounds. Edit: And I guess it isn't even Russian, it only sounds like it, it isn't really anything, just vocal sounds like a whole battalion of drunken, swearing, shouting, singing soldiers.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-21-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Good Day music fans ~

Thanks for posting that video Dave Sr. VERY nice and it took me right back to the joy I felt when Hoyry Kone played down at ProgDay. Is that video the same lineup and band coming here to the states? I'm a bit confused....

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Apparently Chris, they are touring as a trio, also referred to as a power rock trio. Not sure what this format sounds like but I'm quite confident that they would be more than just interesting. Cleveland is the closest to me at 5 hours. However, it would mean driving from NJ as we will be at the NJP that weekend.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

^ Suslov plus drums and piano, I presume?

It really doesn't matter all that much; I believe the lineup is different on all three titles I've got by them, yet their almost equally interesting and enjoyable, beguiling and fascinating. The reason why Geese & Swans stands out is the sheer supreme quality of writing and production (IMHO), although I've never actually heard anything "bad" by this bunch.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Wow, good stuff. The east coast gets all the good Eurobands.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Guitar, bass and drums + 2 vocal mics.

I am responsible for making sure the venue has it for them! [they do]
    Last edited by Steve F.; 05-21-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Wow, good stuff. The east coast gets all the good Eurobands.
    Closer / cheaper / higher population density.

also more traffic and decaying infrastructure.

I'm very happy where I live, but some folks wouldn't dig it for sure. But I never am hurting for entertainment.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Hmm, never herad of them, but Nighttown is just down the street from my house (I've seen Maria Muldaur, Jacki McShee & John Renbourn, and Jean Luc Ponty there). I'll have to see if I can get that Monday evening off.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

It really doesn't matter all that much; I believe the lineup is different on all three titles I've got by them, yet their almost equally interesting and enjoyable, beguiling and fascinating. The reason why Geese & Swans stands out is the sheer supreme quality of writing and production (IMHO), although I've never actually heard anything "bad" by this bunch.
    Geese and Swans is the peak for me, all the albums I have are good to these ears, Military Verses may be just below G&S.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Hmm, never herad of them, but Nighttown is just down the street from my house (I've seen Maria Muldaur, Jacki McShee & John Renbourn, and Jean Luc Ponty there). I'll have to see if I can get that Monday evening off.
    Chris, if you like the clips, this will probably be a stripped down version of that and the latest album. This is a once in a lifetime chance, I think.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Some of you: Just buy that latest album from bandcamp. I feel so lonely being the only 'supporter' there.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Some of you: Just buy that latest album from bandcamp. I feel so lonely being the only 'supporter' there.
    well, now you know what happened to all the cool rekkid labels.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I bought it from the Russian labels site as a download about 6 months ago, it was a bugger dealing with the language and had to get help several times but I got it.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I bought it from the Russian labels site as a download about 6 months ago, it was a bugger dealing with the language and had to get help several times but I got it.
    I know. I waited a bit untill it would be distributed by Altrock. Unfortunately that is one of those cool rekkid labels.

And once again ~

I just listened to that clip once more. Man...that really is getting my attention. OK, please help here... I have yet to move in to the digital world and still favor the cd format. Of the bands different style offerings, which is closest to this clip and where can I purchase the cd? Steve F.??

Thanks Folks

Chris Buckley

There is a physical release bit I think it was only distributed within Russia. I asked the band (through fb) when it would be available in the rest of Europe and they replied that Altrock were going to distribute it. Unfortunately that never happened.

But there is a link on the Otkaz website to a Russian shop for the physical CD.