Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: VEZHLIVY OTKAZ [aka POLITE REFUSAL] play in the USA in June

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi1977 View Post
    Attended their show at JetLag 2019. It was awesome.

I am russian and love russian rock. There were a lot of russian bands (much more prominent both in Russia and elsewhere), that I know and like, performing at the festival, but VO performance was a highlight of the whole festival for me.

I knew and enjoyed their records for ages, it was my first time seeing them live. Very well played. Will post some pics.
    Thanks for the review, I'm stoked for NYC tomorrow, was thinking of going to the festival if I didn't have another event. Great photo's, welcome aboard.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Send a report after you recover, Ian!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Thanks for the review, I'm stoked for NYC tomorrow, was thinking of going to the festival if I didn't have another event. Great photo's, welcome aboard.
    Hey, wish I could take more time off work to go to New York show as well. Is it a big club, Drom? I am from Toronto so it's a bit of a drive...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmi1977 View Post
    Hey, wish I could take more time off work to go to New York show as well. Is it a big club, Drom? I am from Toronto so it's a bit of a drive...
    I think it's small, though not as small as the one in Washington, I'm taking the train down from Boston for it.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Not sure if this is on topic here, but let me introduce another gem from russian rock. Their frontman did a solo show just before VO on the main stage of Jetlag 2019.

On this particular album they are collaborating with Medeski and Ribot
    Last edited by jimmi1977; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:47 PM.

I have one of their albums, Это мама, I need to check out more, I like it.
    Ian

Well that was stunningly good, big silly grin all over my face.all night, tight, angular, loud and looked like they were having fun. Mix of Russians and avant panheads in the crowd, great seats. Met up with Steve Belkin, Dan Burke, Marc Adler and Nick D. Once in a lifetime concert.
    Ian

Ian

Once in a lifetime concert.
    Glad to hear!! Glad you were able to go.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

Got the 2.30am train home that got into Boston at 8am, straight into office, I'm exhausted.
    Ian

Here's the opening song from JetLag performance

https://vimeo.com/344587358
    Last edited by jimmi1977; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:23 AM.

I am told that some left over CDs from the tour are winding their way to us. SO: If you wanted a CD and didn't get it, watch the new arrivals section of the shop in the next week.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    And once again ~

I just listened to that clip once more. Man...that really is getting my attention. OK, please help here... I have yet to move in to the digital world and still favor the cd format. Of the bands different style offerings, which is closest to this clip and where can I purchase the cd? Steve F.??

Thanks Folks

Chris Buckley
    To Chris or anyone else.

We have exactly 8 copies of their latest title for sale, which we got from the band when their tour was over, and then that's IT.
    If you want it, it's here
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Thank You Steve F.

Just placed an order and am quite looking forward to the listening!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    To Chris or anyone else.

We have exactly 8 copies of their latest title for sale, which we got from the band when their tour was over, and then that's IT.
    If you want it, it's here
    Ordered, need a physical copy, had digital since it came out.
    Ian

Cleaning up the 'puter and found this pic I took of the sign I saw by chance 5 years ago.
    polite refusal.jpg

they played in Israel? But you didn't go / didn't know about it?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

They actually came twice, once with the "big" band and another with just the trio (or quartet? my memory is blank)
    I went to both

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I went to both
    !
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    they played in Israel? But you didn't go / didn't know about it?
    There is a local circuit of shows/promotions geared for the significant amount of ex-Russians living here, so we get many famous and less-famous Russian bands playing locally, but the general population (me) is often unlikely to know of these events.
    I just realized that this sign/poster was for the first show (in 2014) that for some unknown reason I didn't go to.
    It turns out the show I saw was the one in 2016 (power trio version). I think I mentioned somewhere that I had to skip good old Reg in the park the same evening.
    At least I have this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1fg...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Yehuda Kotton View Post
    I think I mentioned somewhere that I had to skip good old Reg in the park the same evening. [/URL]
    Yes, you did. I forgot.

"They just want me to say bad things about him. But I don't have anything bad to say about ol' Reg...." - Elton Dean [when contacted by Inside Hollywood or one or another of those awful tattletale shows trying to get dirt on celebrities....]

The Elton D part above is 100% a true story and that's what Elton told me when I asked him how the interview with them went.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yehuda Kotton View Post
    I was going to say "that's a very good crowd for VO" then it zoomed in
    Ian

I was going to say "that's a very good crowd for VO" then it zoomed in
    VO was obviously a more modest affair:

https://youtu.be/J3k8gq2AgIQ