Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: YES - 50 Live released July 19th

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Seriously, I hope someone connected with Yes got word that everyone HATES that they did that on past releases, and they should not do it with this one, ffs.
    They should leave the "Steve Howe!" parts in but space them more than every seven minutes.

The burning question is: is there canned audience cheers mixed in?
    Keep in mind that we're in the 21st century and canned audience cheers just keep gettng better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I hate live albums. There, I said it.
    I love live recordings from a band's peak, but not all this late career stuff. Not just Yes, same goes for any of these bands who put out a deluge of live albums now.

The full Cobo Hall show from 1976 or the much-bootlegged Wembley 1978 show would be more appealing releases from Rhino...for me at least.

If only bands would have put out live albums after every tour back in the 70's. Maybe would have even put a dent in bootleg sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The burning question is: is there canned audience cheers mixed in?
    I was at the July 21st show in Philly, and I'm wondering if we'll be able to hear the audience members who were sitting in front of Steve Howe and talking so loudly that Howe first asked them to quiet down, then stopped in the middle of a guitar solo to point at them and glare.

Seriously though, I've passed on most of the live albums the band has put out recently, but I'll probably get this one. It's fairly rare that I have the chance to buy an official release that was recorded at a show I attended.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

I'd like a poster of the cover....

The first one of ye to send me one gets the throne!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    If only bands would have put out live albums after every tour back in the 70's. Maybe would have even put a dent in bootleg sales.
    Yessongs summarised its tour well and had a few tracks with Bruford, and also there was the big Progeny box. But Yesshows is very piecemeal, taken from three separate tours with two very different keyboard players. That's the period which should be looked at IMHO. Ultimately at this stage sales of older shows aren't going to be that great, but I'd wonder whether they might sell more than yet another late-career live release.

I can understand why people would want DVD/Blu-ray releases of these modern shows more than CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Ultimately at this stage sales of older shows aren't going to be that great, but I'd wonder whether they might sell more than yet another late-career live release.
    New releases like this are basically tour merch. Something new to sell at the shows. And the current members all get a cut. Releasing an old tour for the merch table not so much for the new guys. Though if I were a betting man, more people would snag a 1978 live release over a 50th Ann live release on the merch table.

a live album from Yasia.... i mean Yes....
    suddenly the ARW live release from last year became more appealing.....

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    suddenly the ARW live release from last year became more appealing.....
    That's a great album and a great quality recording (sans some crowd noise). It's in rotation in my itunes, and have watched the DVD several times as well.

I do recall the previous one Topographic Drama having a good reception on here. I suppose at least that one had some different things on it. (The holy grail for me in live Yes would be a professional quality recording of the Tales tour, but it's extremely unlikely such a thing exists, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Nobody buys bootlegs anymore. If they do, they're nuts. They can all be found online for free or traded.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, but that isn't really OWNING it. It's just a bunch of files.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nobody buys bootlegs anymore. If they do, they're nuts. They can all be found online for free or traded.
    I think he was saying that if the bands put out live records after each tour in the '70s, it would have been tough for bootleg sellers at that time to make a living.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I just bought a 9CD/1 DVD box on the Lamb that's a boot. They stitched together live footage and pictures of the tour on DVD that was sketchy but I totally enjoyed it. I missed the Lamb tour (too young) as my first concert was Genesis Trick of the Tail in 1976. The set comes with a nice box with artwork and an insert with photos and track listings. It's mainly demo sessions, including unreleased noodling. It cost me about $60 , including tracked shipping. I don't care if you can trade or download, I have a physical product I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Yeah, but that isn't really OWNING it. It's just a bunch of files.
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I think he was saying that if the bands put out live records after each tour in the '70s, it would have been tough for bootleg sellers at that time to make a living.
    Sorry, I missed the time reference. Yes, that would certainly have hurt their business. Man, those were the days, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Downes playing Awaken is kinda hilarious. Howe needs to disband and go play with JA and Rick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No, it's JA and RW who have a history of not only "disband"ing, but dissing the band as well. ;-)

I would consider buying it if it had "Survival" and "South Side of the Sky" featuring Dylan Howe. But as it is its just another tired old release of stuff that's shown up on other live albums. How many times do we need to hear "Roundabout" again?

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I would consider buying it if it had "Survival" and "South Side of the Sky" featuring Dylan Howe. But as it is its just another tired old release of stuff that's shown up on other live albums. How many times do we need to hear "Roundabout" again?
    I agree with you Andrew, but when we saw them they were playing most of the "in rotation every tour" songs a bit differently, adding a different flavor to them.
    Also we saw Jon Anderson on tour several weeks ago and he very tastefully changed the Yes songs and we loved it. Hearing a respectful but new interpretation made me love those songs all over again.
    Their version of Starship Trooper knocked it out of the park, and I think was the best live version I've ever heard.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I've realised that I have the most of the tracks on pre existing live albums with Jon D on vocals already. I'll certainly go for the cd set but it makes buying it on what will be very expensive vinyl hard to justify. If only I could just buy the sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I've realised that I have the most of the tracks on pre existing live albums with Jon D on vocals already. I'll certainly go for the cd set but it makes buying it on what will be very expensive vinyl hard to justify. If only I could just buy the sleeve
    Don't know if you were lucky enough to see them on tour last year, but my opinion is Jon D sounded the best I've ever heard(Topographic Drama showed maturity and confidence I found lacking in the previous live concerts(DVD's).
    It took me a long time to warm up to Jon's stage presence and voice over the years, but finally heard him "owning" the Yes vocalist role with Topographic Drama and seeing/hearing him live solidified that opinion.
    So I think anyone who didn't catch the last tour may be surprised how good Yes sounds. Billy is more comfortable and I think the whole band feels better not worrying or hearing Alan White struggle due to his pain.

I love my vinyl but don't quite understand the need to have a live concert on vinyl, but that's just me. As it is, the audio is never quite up there with a studio recording imo.
    I did upgrade and ordered the Abbey Road Remastered Vinyl of Seconds Out, but that is such a great live album I couldn't resist.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I do normally have a little moan about the interchangeability of recent RD covers but this is pleasant enough and light years from the dreadful ARW album design, even if the Yes50 logo is a bit muddled and poor. Maybe I'll stick the vinyl on the Birthday/Christmas list.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Don't know if you were lucky enough to see them on tour last year, but my opinion is Jon D sounded the best I've ever heard(Topographic Drama showed maturity and confidence I found lacking in the previous live concerts(DVD's).
    It took me a long time to warm up to Jon's stage presence and voice over the years, but finally heard him "owning" the Yes vocalist role with Topographic Drama and seeing/hearing him live solidified that opinion.
    So I think anyone who didn't catch the last tour may be surprised how good Yes sounds. Billy is more comfortable and I think the whole band feels better not worrying or hearing Alan White struggle due to his pain.

I love my vinyl but don't quite understand the need to have a live concert on vinyl, but that's just me. As it is, the audio is never quite up there with a studio recording imo.
    I did upgrade and ordered the Abbey Road Remastered Vinyl of Seconds Out, but that is such a great live album I couldn't resist.
    I'm in the UK and saw them at two gigs albeit a different set from the US tour. I was greatly impressed with them and love what Davison has brought to Yes, no complaints from me there, we are lucky to still have them and will see them every chance I get.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Most likely a topic for another thread, but be aware that there is a huge bootleg & trading market that does not exist in the public eye. There are collectors who have obtained concert/private/TV/radio performances that the bands do not even have, do not care to have, or don't even know exist. Legwork, research, and years of persistence. These cats don't dump this stuff online or freely distribute what they have uncovered. There are holy grails that I have viewed/listened to that are jaw-dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Most likely a topic for another thread, but be aware that there is a huge bootleg & trading market that does not exist in the public eye. There are collectors who have obtained concert/private/TV/radio performances that the bands do not even have, do not care to have, or don't even know exist. Legwork, research, and years of persistence. These cats don't dump this stuff online or freely distribute what they have uncovered. There are holy grails that I have viewed/listened to that are jaw-dropping.
    No doubt. But, considering the thousands of recordings readily available out today that a guy like me could only dream of having in the 70s, I'm perfectly content.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

I caught the first two shows of the tour last year and the d.c. show. I told Jon he keeps getting better and I don't even know how rhat is possible.

This is a very happy unit who not only play well together, but get along very well. Plenty of smiles and laughs backstage with no drama.