Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: YES - 50 Live released July 19th

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Most likely a topic for another thread, but be aware that there is a huge bootleg & trading market that does not exist in the public eye. There are collectors who have obtained concert/private/TV/radio performances that the bands do not even have, do not care to have, or don't even know exist. Legwork, research, and years of persistence. These cats don't dump this stuff online or freely distribute what they have uncovered. There are holy grails that I have viewed/listened to that are jaw-dropping.
    This place always has a nice selection of prog bootleg CDs - and they go the extra mile with nice artwork and sleeves: http://www.heartofunderground.com/ma...793352903d3e2d

Now you see, this is the ONLY reason I would buy the Vinyl: to get that Cover!!

I'm sure the only track to feature Patrick Moraz (if he does) would be SOON. And probably the only track to feature Tony Kaye would be Roundabout or Starship Trooper (?) since there are NO Yes West songs that Howe & company even bothered to perform.

If HD Tracks or similar source offers tracks individually, I would purchase a few of the more rare tunes from this record - Nine Voices, Fly From Here, Sweet Dreams. But I don't need to hear any more versions of the other tunes. I can't imagine how many copies of this will be sold. If any of the versions of Yes would make a new record I would buy that promptly, and if they subsequently released a live album of new material, I'd buy that as well. I bought the Like it Is , TopoDrama records etc - listened to them all once. To my ears, the best official live versions of these old tunes are on Progeny, Yessongs and Yesshows. All the newer stuff just sounds quite weak in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post

This is a very happy unit who not only play well together, but get along very well. Plenty of smiles and laughs backstage with no drama.
    This should put to rest any of the "Howe should get back together with Anderson and Wakeman!" nonsense.

It should, but it won't.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    If HD Tracks or similar source offers tracks individually, I would purchase a few of the more rare tunes from this record - Nine Voices, Fly From Here, Sweet Dreams. But I don't need to hear any more versions of the other tunes. I can't imagine how many copies of this will be sold. If any of the versions of Yes would make a new record I would buy that promptly, and if they subsequently released a live album of new material, I'd buy that as well. I bought the Like it Is , TopoDrama records etc - listened to them all once. To my ears, the best official live versions of these old tunes are on Progeny, Yessongs and Yesshows. All the newer stuff just sounds quite weak in comparison.
    Agreed with those 3 you mentioned for the older stuff but there are so many YES LIVE albums to love or hate, my trio of favorites are: Keys to Ascension Vol. 1, The Word is Live and Symphonic Live

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The full Cobo Hall show from 1976 or the much-bootlegged Wembley 1978 show would be more appealing releases from Rhino...for me at least.
    I recall someone associated with Progeny saying that there would be further such releases, but it's been radio silence since then.

Progeny was based on a lucky discovery of the multi-tracks, and it could be that efforts to locate tapes of other shows have been unsuccessful. The major labels have reportedly been rather indifferent about their tape archives in recent years--the current generation running the show aren't even interested in licensing their catalog titles out to small labels anymore. Why they would leave money on the table, I don't know, but perhaps the numbers aren't worth the hassle.

Even Cobo Hall 1976 might be a difficult release. The extra Cobo tracks on The Word is Live seem to have been part of the same group of mixes that Squire did in 1979 that ultimately resulted in Yesshows. However, we don't know if Squire did mixes for the entire Cobo show, or if the multi-tracks are currently available if he didn't.

Wembley 1978 was based on BBC recordings, I believe. The multi-tracks of this show are much more likely to have been recycled or lost. Absent those, you're looking at an official release of the exact same sources that have been widely bootlegged (as was the case with much of The Word is Live).

Hate to be a downer on this. My primary interest in Yes at this point is in live releases from the archive that don't duplicate available bootlegs, so hopefully there is something on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I recall someone associated with Progeny saying that there would be further such releases, but it's been radio silence since then.

Progeny was based on a lucky discovery of the multi-tracks, and it could be that efforts to locate tapes of other shows have been unsuccessful. The major labels have reportedly been rather indifferent about their tape archives in recent years--the current generation running the show aren't even interested in licensing their catalog titles out to small labels anymore. Why they would leave money on the table, I don't know, but perhaps the numbers aren't worth the hassle.

Even Cobo Hall 1976 might be a difficult release. The extra Cobo tracks on The Word is Live seem to have been part of the same group of mixes that Squire did in 1979 that ultimately resulted in Yesshows. However, we don't know if Squire did mixes for the entire Cobo show, or if the multi-tracks are currently available if he didn't.

Wembley 1978 was based on BBC recordings, I believe. The multi-tracks of this show are much more likely to have been recycled or lost. Absent those, you're looking at an official release of the exact same sources that have been widely bootlegged (as was the case with much of The Word is Live).

Hate to be a downer on this. My primary interest in Yes at this point is in live releases from the archive that don't duplicate available bootlegs, so hopefully there is something on the way.
    There is definitely interesting archival stuff that the band have copies of that could be released.

There has been serious talk of releasing some of that material.

But there's always more talk than eventual releases, and I've not heard anything lately suggesting anything is imminent.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

^ They should release that New Haven '71 recording, warts and all. I have a "remaster" and it's great.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hmm. I thought that New Haven show had been released on that Wilson version of The Yes Album, but apparently they only used one track. Otherwise they recycled four songs from that Crystal Palace show already used on The Word Is Live.

I like The Word Is Live as a companion to the existing live albums, particularly Yesshows. And the first disc is all Bruford...not sure why they included the already available BBC songs but the rest is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    IMy primary interest in Yes at this point is in live releases from the archive that don't duplicate available bootlegs, so hopefully there is something on the way.
    I think that's not unreasonable, really. Unfortunately such things are unlikely to exist. I don't think anything from the Tales... tour was ever professionally recorded, and whilst the 1977 tour was, the lack of anything from it on The Word Is Live suggests to me the multi-tracks or even Yesshows-era mix-downs may be MIA.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-30-2019 at 11:40 AM.

I like The Word Is Live as a companion to the existing live albums, particularly Yesshows. And the first disc is all Bruford...not sure why they included the already available BBC songs but the rest is excellent.
    Had Yes released any BBC recordings before? I thought that was all Peter Banks' doing.

And add my vote for a complete New Haven release. Anyone who's heard the boots knows it's one of the cleanest board recordings from 1971!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^'Official' or not, I think most Yes fans interested in The Word Is Live would also have had that BBC CD. I think everything else on The Word Is Live hadn't seen prior release of any kind. There were a few things I'd have left off in favour of actual songs. 'Apocalypse' is a few seconds of that but mostly tuning up, and 'Hello Chicago' is just one of those 'tour song' jams they did in this era.

I'm not sure who actually owns the Wembley 1978 show. There are a few songs which didn't make the broadcast ('Future Times/Rejoice' etc.). If the multi-tracks are still around that would offer something not bootlegged. The other 70s radio broadcasts, Boston Gardens and Roosevelt Stadium, are IMHO not as well recorded as Wembley. Boston Garden still sounds pretty good but that Roosevelt Stadium show is very compressed.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-31-2019 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Well, I suppose this is the selling point, for those interested.

"Patrick Moraz is featured on "Soon" and Tony Kaye is featured on "Yours Is No Disgrace," "Roundabout," and "Starship Trooper."

Well, I suppose this is the selling point, for those interested.

"Patrick Moraz is featured on "Soon"
    and Tony Kaye is featured on "Yours Is No Disgrace," "Roundabout," and "Starship Trooper."
    All the hype that surround that evening re: Patrick joining them in the future etc.. Obviously nothing came of it.. or they are keeping a tight lid on it for this summers tour eh?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    All the hype that surround that evening re: Patrick joining them in the future etc.. Obviously nothing came of it.. or they are keeping a tight lid on it for this summers tour eh?
    I think it remains a possibility for 2020.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Had Yes released any BBC recordings before? I thought that was all Peter Banks' doing.
    Indeed, true. So none of it was appropriately licensed and Yes weren't getting their due share of the money.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The burning question is: is there canned audience cheers mixed in?
    If they're not there I'm thinking I'll load all this into Reaper and add my own.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Indeed, true. So none of it was appropriately licensed and Yes weren't getting their due share of the money.

Henry
    But weren't these essentially the same recordings used on the Yesyears boxset that came out in the 90's?

But weren't these essentially the same recordings used on the Yesyears boxset that came out in the 90's?
    Yes. So?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Yes. So?

Henry
    You are suggesting Yes wasn't compensated for Yesyears boxset, or in your words.. "due share"..

You are suggesting Yes wasn't compensated for Yesyears boxset, or in your words.. "due share"..
    I see the confusion. No, I was referring to the Something's Coming release (and numerous re-releases under other titles).

Henry

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I would absolutely buy an official release of even a cleaned up bootleg recording, but some of the boots sound so good at this point that it’s hard to imagine there being a huge amount of room for improvement.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I would absolutely buy an official release of even a cleaned up bootleg recording, but some of the boots sound so good at this point that it’s hard to imagine there being a huge amount of room for improvement.
    There's material that has never been bootlegged. There's more than we know about.

Henry

I don't have the Progeny box but am I right in saying none of those full show multi-tracks had ever been bootlegged? (Obviously Yessongs drew from some of them.)

It would be nice to think there are things like that still in the vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I hate live albums. There, I said it.
    I like live albums.

However, I prefer that the performers be alive.