Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: YES - 50 Live released July 19th

^ It's about variety. If you've heard version A of a song a gazillion times, it can be nice to hear a version B, even if version B isn't as good.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Gosh Henry, I'm usually right in your corner, but even I don't agree with this.

Yeah, and its like at this point, I just wanna hear a new take on something.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If you only want to hear the original version then why would you ever go to a live gig?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    If you only want to hear the original version then why would you ever go to a live gig?
    I enjoy concerts and have a pretty big collection of live Yes recordings. I just feel like if you are going to perform an album in its original running order with arrangements as close to the studio recordings as you can get then I might as well just listen to the original record because you aren’t doing anything interesting enough with the live performance for me to bother. Unless you are doing a concept album like Quadrophenia or The Wall with some multimedia stuff happening I really have no interest in an “album” setlist. It’s really a stupid, brain dead setlist gimmick that I wish bands had abandoned years ago. It destroys part of the fun of live shows. When I go to a concert or listen to a live recording I like things all mixed up. Besides Yes did all of Topographic and all of Close To The Edge in 73/74. They just didn’t tout it as “complete albums live”.

So in those terms I guess Yes 50 Live is actually the best live album and the best overall release of the Davison era, not that this is especially high praise.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I listened to “Heart Of The Sunrise” and “Awaken” from The Word Is Live in the car on the way home yesterday cranked as loud as I could stand. It was glorious.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I enjoy concerts and have a pretty big collection of live Yes recordings. I just feel like if you are going to perform an album in its original running order with arrangements as close to the studio recordings as you can get then I might as well just listen to the original record because you aren’t doing anything interesting enough with the live performance for me to bother. Unless you are doing a concept album like Quadrophenia or The Wall with some multimedia stuff happening I really have no interest in an “album” setlist.

It’s really a stupid, brain dead setlist gimmick that I wish bands had abandoned years ago. It destroys part of the fun of live shows. When I go to a concert or listen to a live recording I like things all mixed up. Besides Yes did all of Topographic and all of Close To The Edge in 73/74. They just didn’t tout it as “complete albums live”.

So in those terms I guess Yes 50 Live is actually the best live album and the best overall release of the Davison era, not that this is especially high praise.

yet another myopic post
    2trevorsforlife

I get what Henry is saying. This is a clip from Jon Anderson's current tour. The first six minutes or so is the title track from his new album but then it goes into Starship Trooper. I find myself enjoying the different instrumental bridge we get about 13 minutes in, before the song goes into a track from Olias. The whole thing is worth listening to as to my ears Jon's band sounds far more engaging than Howe and the Replacements. Violin and tenor saxophone included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhILOicnf4M

Thanks for sharing this video - obviously, it's hard to make comparisons & relative judgements based on camera phone captures of live performances - but this strikes me as being on a whole different level to anything produced either by Howe's current incarnation of Yes, or by ARW - I like the arrangements, the way the different instruments (from electric violin to baritone sax) expand the pallette of the original music, but also, & not least, the joy & invigoration that the band clearly take from playing with one another.

I've read all the posts in this thread and most have a fairly disparaging view of 50 Live. I went and listened to it again a few days ago. My opinion has not changed. I think it's fine live album. Downes doesn't play the intro to Awaken like Wakeman. So what? I don't expect him to, nor do I want him to. He's not Wakeman, Kaye or Moraz. He has his own approach. Howe plays like, well, Steve Howe. He's older and perhaps not as nimble on the fretboard as he used to be. He's still Steve Howe and I'm hearing some good stuff from him on the album. Tony Kaye sounds great in his guest spot and the new kids (Sherwood and Davison) are doing just fine. Jay Schellen is a great fit for Yes while White is unable to carry the full load. I, for one, just don't hear the disaster taking place on the album that everyone else does. Maybe it is a dreadful album but I am enjoying it. Particularly the lesser played tunes. I also find YIND, Roundabout and Starship Trooper played with quite a bit of snap as well.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I honestly don't know about the Yes 50 album (haven't bought live albums in a long time) but I want to say that, no matter what, don't judge the recent band by whatever's on that record. I am still thinking of that July concert at Saratoga and remembering how much it kicked ass. They play damn well these days. Perhaps it's the presence of the three ringers that gives the new band its fire, but I'm not asking questions. Yes may not have Anderson or Squire anymore but they are still awesome.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I honestly don't know about the Yes 50 album (haven't bought live albums in a long time) but I want to say that, no matter what, don't judge the recent band by whatever's on that record. I am still thinking of that July concert at Saratoga and remembering how much it kicked ass. They play damn well these days. Perhaps it's the presence of the three ringers that gives the new band its fire, but I'm not asking questions. Yes may not have Anderson or Squire anymore but they are still awesome.
    I'm glad to hear this, hoping to hear Gates next year in the UK.