Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Clarke Band - 2019 tour

Stanley Clarke Band - 2019 tour

I got a notice that Stanley Clarke will be touring this summer with his current 6-piece group (2 keys, bass (obviously), drums, violin, percussion). I checked his website and they start off with just four cities across the US. Then he's off on the international summer festival circuit. Then he comes back to the US in late July before going back to Europe in October. What a life!

06/12/19 Sacramento, CA -- Crest Theater
    06/13/19 Berkeley, CA -- Freight & Salvage
    06/14/19 Minneapolis, MN -- Dakota Club
    06/15/19 Minneapolis, MN -- Dakota Club
    06/23/19 Pittsburgh, PA -- Pittsburgh International Jazz Festival

Anyways, I've actually never seen him live so time to put that to rest! Recent videos show him in company of good musicians playing a wide swath of music. Should be good.

P.S. for Bay Area peeps: What's with the Freight now getting all the good fusion gigs? Does Yoshi's in Oakland not care about them anymore?

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Would LOVE to see Stanley live. I’ve never had the pleasure. Hope he comes near me and it fits into my schedule but I’m not holding my breath on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    P.S. for Bay Area peeps: What's with the Freight now getting all the good fusion gigs? Does Yoshi's in Oakland not care about them anymore?
    Yoshi's, ostensibly a jazz club, seems to have shifted to pop, blues, and R&B (tonight they're hosting the Fifth Dimension, with Florence LaRue as the only original member). Meanwhile, the Freight, formerly a folk venue where never an amplifier was seen onstage, is hosting the likes of this and the recent Soft Machine/Levin Brothers gig. Go figure.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Ya know, I was gonna say I never saw him, but I just remembered, I saw that first reunion tour Return TO Forever did, the one with DiMeola. So I have seen him, but I've never seen him do a solo show. I seem to recall a few years back he played at Cain Park (literally about a 20 minute walk from my front door, I think it was some kind of super group with a coupe other guys (maybe Ponty and someone else? I don't remember now). Anyway, I ended up not seeing that show for some reason, which again I don't recall.

Anyway, I hope he comes here. I don't think he'll be playing Cain Park, because they put their schedule out a couple weeks ago, and I didn't see him listed. (shrug) We'll have to see what happens.

HUGE FAN!
    I first saw him live with Rite Of Strings, then RTF with Al D and the Ponty one too

Missed seeing the School Days tour due to being a bonehead... kickin myself forever for that

hope he comes to AZ for this tour!

with the Violin who knows... they could do a Vertu tune...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

whoah... that Piano player is SERIOUS

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Stanley is this year's Artist In Residence at the Detroit Jazz Festival. Detroit Jazz is the world's largest free-of-charge jazz fest. It takes place over the U.S. Labor Day weekend. Typically the Artist In Residence performs on multiple occasions during the fest in a variety of settings and with a revolving cast of collaborators. Recent years have seen Chick Corea and Pat Metheny dubbed Artist In Residence. This will hopefully make up for Stanley's 2018 set at Detroit Jazz which got rained out.

his solo starts at 4:15 and just intensifies until the end at 6:40

The violinist is Evan Garr, saw him with Al DiMeola in Annapolis Md a little while back. After the concert, Al told the audience the back story of Evan joining his band.

Evan showed up at Toronto 40th anniversary Elegant Gypsy DiMeola concert and somehow got backstage to meet Al. Evan had driven 10 hours from his hometown of Detroit to the show and brought his violin. He had learned a lot of Al's songs and played them for him, Al was mighty impressed and asked him to immediately join the tour, pretty nice of Al to hire an unknown and give him exposure, I'm told Al has become a lot more human nowadays, less ego.
    Last edited by raconteur troubadour; 05-20-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    The violinist is Evan Garr, saw him with Al DiMeola in Annapolis Md a little while back. After the concert, Al told the audience the back story of Evan joining his band.

Evan showed up at Toronto 40th anniversary Elegant Gypsy DiMeola concert and somehow got backstage to meet Al. Evan had driven 10 hours from his hometown of Detroit to the show and brought his violin. He had learned a lot of Al's songs and played them for him, Al was mighty impressed and asked him to immediately join the tour, pretty nice of Al to hire an unknown and give him exposure, I'm told Al has become a lot more human nowadays, less ego.
    Ask the guys from Brand X about his ego

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    his solo starts at 4:15 and just intensifies until the end at 6:40
    Wow!That is some band, what a great video!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw him during the Montreal Jazz Festival about 5 years ago. He was, of course, amazing and his band was smokin'. Amazing piano player. Sold out show and the audience loved him.

The pianist is Beka Gochiashvili, a prodigy from the Republic of Georgia. Beka was only 16 when he first played with Clarke at the Blue Note (where I saw him a couple of years ago - he truly is amazing). I believe he is now 22 or 23.

Some years back Clarke toured with a second bass , probably miss spelled, Amand Sabulaku , from Camaroon. Very flashy quick electric bass player , his duets with Clarke were shattering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Newman View Post
    The pianist is Beka Gochiashvili, a prodigy from the Republic of Georgia. Beka was only 16 when he first played with Clarke at the Blue Note (where I saw him a couple of years ago - he truly is amazing). I believe he is now 22 or 23.
    Thanks for the information. He was brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Some years back Clarke toured with a second bass , probably miss spelled, Amand Sabulaku , from Camaroon. Very flashy quick electric bass player , his duets with Clarke were shattering.
    You are thinking of Armand Sabal-Lecco.

It was the same thing when I saw John McLaughlin band in an Ottawa at a small downtown church. He too surrounded himself with prodigy musicians and the interplay was magical. When I commented on Stanley's piano player I didn't see if referenced earlier on this thread. Glad there are others who loved his performance. I took both my sons to the show (Stanley's) and it was a great night of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    You are thinking of Armand Sabal-Lecco.
    Thank you. I knew the spelling was way off. Never the less a great player.

Wow, that whole band is fantastic. Interesting to hear a tabla player fit into a samba groove.

Last time I saw Stanley, he had Ronald Bruner Jr. on drums, who manages to channel Elvin Jones and Keith Moon at the same time. This new drummer might be even more impressive, though.

Also, every time I've Stanley in concert, it's always his work on the upright bass that really wows me, more than the electric. The upright is such an expressive and groove-tastic instrument in the right hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yoshi's, ostensibly a jazz club, seems to have shifted to pop, blues, and R&B (tonight they're hosting the Fifth Dimension, with Florence LaRue as the only original member). Meanwhile, the Freight, formerly a folk venue where never an amplifier was seen onstage, is hosting the likes of this and the recent Soft Machine/Levin Brothers gig. Go figure.
    I've seen Stanley many times. I'd love to see him again, but $60 is a bit steep. That Soft Machine/Levin Brothers show was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    That Soft Machine/Levin Brothers show was terrific.
    And the tickets were remarkably cheap by today's standards.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Would LOVE to see Stanley live. I’ve never had the pleasure. Hope he comes near me and it fits into my schedule but I’m not holding my breath on it.
    Couldn't agree any more. Imagine seeing School Days played live. That is awesome to see he is touring in 2019, keep on it Stanley!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Ask the guys from Brand X about his ego

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Seeing how I don't know them personally, care to share?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Nice stuff. Fun lineup with two keys and tablas. Might take a gander when they come near me (although it's not a great time of the year).

Does this lineup have any albums? The last Clarke album I can remember is The Toys Of Men which feels like it came out eons ago.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.