Thread: New Nad Sylvan song I am the Sea

New Nad Sylvan song I am the Sea

New Nad Sylvan song I am the Sea from his forthcoming album The Regal Bastard.

I am a big Nad Sylvan fan, have both his solo albums(one on vinyl), love the Unifaun stuff and was eagerly awaiting the 3rd album completing the trilogy.
    I've watched this video and I can't help muttering to myself "wt??"
    What is this? It just seems to meander around without any melody.I thought the break and build up in the middle might grab me, but nothing happened. I can't find anything remotely enjoyable when listening to this like I do his other work.

Is it just me? do you like it?
    This album was an auto buy for me, but now, methinks not!
    Last edited by Top Cat; 05-20-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Really? I think it has a very discernable melody. Perhaps you were a little tired when you listened to it? That's happened to me on occasion - I'd get home from a long day at work and hear some new music and think it sounded strangely dull, but subsequent listens changed my mind radically. Chalk it up to fatigue. All that said, the song is alright but nothing to write home about. It's a bit longer than it needs to be, imho, and I don't care much for the couple of little angsty screams he does near the end.

Is that Steve Hackett doing the guitar solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Really? I think it has a very discernable melody. Perhaps you were a little tired when you listened to it? That's happened to me on occasion - I'd get home from a long day at work and hear some new music and think it sounded strangely dull, but subsequent listens changed my mind radically. Chalk it up to fatigue. All that said, the song is alright but nothing to write home about. It's a bit longer than it needs to be, imho, and I don't care much for the couple of little angsty screams he does near the end.

Is that Steve Hackett doing the guitar solo?
    I appreciate your comment regarding melody and I listened several times at different times and had the same feeling. It didn't grab me like his songs usually do, but noting your thoughts I'll give it a couple more spins just in case. I also agree it's too long.
    I'm not sure whether that is Hackett or not, he does guest on the album, but don't know if he's on this song.
    Nad does play electric guitar on his other albums and does quite well with pseudo Steve Hackett type leads, so it may be him.

Thanks for your thoughts Bruce.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Nad has included my Yeats adaption "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" on his new album. I wrote the music and performed it, along with a cellist, and Nad did a great vocal on it and helped with the arrangement. This will be my first appearance on vinyl. As a vinyl aficionado this is very exciting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Nad has included my Yeats adaption "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" on his new album. I wrote the music and performed it, along with a cellist, and Nad did a great vocal on it and helped with the arrangement. This will be my first appearance on vinyl. As a vinyl aficionado this is very exciting for me.
    That's really cool! Congrats! I'm excited for you.

That's wonderful news Andrew, I think that is my favorite song on the Topaz Island cd. I love vinyl as well, but I've found most cd's are produced and mixed so well these days, there isn't much difference in the audio. I also think vinyl benefits most when it has a lot of vintage and analog gear(keyboards, synths, hardware) in the recordings.
    The last Styx album The Mission comes to mind which was recorded to analog tape and the album sounds wonderful.

I'm disappointed you've removed the link to your website in your signature, are you re-doing the site, or making some changes to it?

^fixed, thanks Top Cat !

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I bought Unifaun when it was released, Nad posted here regularly back then. He was quite gracious. I saw him with Hackett a few times and he was quite decent. Thanks for posting, Top Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I bought Unifaun when it was released, Nad posted here regularly back then. He was quite gracious. I saw him with Hackett a few times and he was quite decent. Thanks for posting, Top Cat!
    I've never met him or seen him live, but I have had one good experience that demonstrated his graciousness. About a month prior to the release of the Unifaun CD, he had posted several of the finished songs here for us to listen to, and I had given the song Quest for the Last Virtue a really positive review. Nad was so moved that he sent me a free copy of the CD. It included a short thank-you note.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You're welcome mozo-pg. I'll need to hear more clips from other songs on the cd to see if we'll get it or not. I'd love to have it tho to complete the trilogy.

I've never met him or seen him live, but I have had one good experience that demonstrated his graciousness. About a month prior to the release of the Unifaun CD, he had posted several of the finished songs here for us to listen to, and I had given the song Quest for the Last Virtue a really positive review. Nad was so moved that he sent me a free copy of the CD. It included a short thank-you note.
    That's a great story Bruce, and I've heard other stories about how gracious he is. I know Andrew from The Winter Tree has worked with Nad on Andrew's solo cd's and has also said how great he is.
    I used to be on KvR a lot in the early 2000's and they had a forum The Music Cafe where members could upload their songs and Nad uploaded some of the songs they were working on, I believe he gave us about 4-5 songs to download for free. I still have those mp3's but never bought the album. That was my first introduction to Nad and Bonamici, and I was hooked as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    You're welcome mozo-pg. I'll need to hear more clips from other songs on the cd to see if we'll get it or not. I'd love to have it tho to complete the trilogy.

That's a great story Bruce, and I've heard other stories about how gracious he is. I know Andrew from The Winter Tree has worked with Nad on Andrew's solo cd's and has also said how great he is.
    I used to be on KvR a lot in the early 2000's and they had a forum The Music Cafe where members could upload their songs and Nad uploaded some of the songs they were working on, I believe he gave us about 4-5 songs to download for free. I still have those mp3's but never bought the album. That was my first introduction to Nad and Bonamici, and I was hooked as a fan.
    What?! You don't have the Unifaun album?! Oh man, trust me, you NEED this! Unifaun is exceptional. To my ears, it's the best kind of Genesis "pastiche" in that these guys not only manage to sound quite a bit like their idols but also can actually write great songs.

Thanks for sharing this.

Incidentally, that is probably my favorite song from the album.

What?! You don't have the Unifaun album?! Oh man, trust me, you NEED this! Unifaun is exceptional. To my ears, it's the best kind of Genesis "pastiche" in that these guys not only manage to sound quite a bit like their idols but also can actually write great songs.
    Seconded.

Unifaun completely blew me away. 10+ years on and it's still one of my favorite discs.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this.

Incidentally, that is probably my favorite song from the album.

Seconded.

Unifaun completely blew me away. 10+ years on and it's still one of my favorite discs.
    Preach it!

Yep, Unifaun is my favourite album Nad has been on. I like his solo albums, Agents Of Mercy, etc. but that one is the strongest to my ears.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yep, Unifaun is my favourite album Nad has been on. I like his solo albums, Agents Of Mercy, etc. but that one is the strongest to my ears.
    Does anyone know if Nad and Bonomici are on good terms. I'd love to hear them do an album together again.
    I know Nad has said in interviews he wants to tour solo in the future but needed more material. But his Hackett gig and the touring with him is pretty intensive which allows little time for touring.
    Maybe when he does, he and Bonomici could be the opening act as Unifaun.