Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Comedian Tim Conway

R.I.P. Comedian Tim Conway

He always had me in stitches on the Carol Burnett Show. Rest in peace, Tim.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Saw him live many years ago with Tom Poston in The Odd Couple. They were fantastic together! A truly funny man, RIP.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Aw nuts!!!

Goodbye Mr. Tudball!
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Such totally fond memories of my youth. Very talented! RIP

One of the all time greats for sure. I got to see Conway and Don Knotts do a two man live show once. Knotts was pretty old at the time, and played the straight man to Conway's shenanigans, but it was a hilarious show. RIP Tim Conway.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Great memories from my youth. RIP.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

RIP. Funny guy.

Wow... So sad to hear this. He was a really funny guy in everything I saw him in, and a real pro at it.

A comedic giant. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy, too.

RIP.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Yeah, this one makes me pretty sad as well. His comedic timing was right up there with anyone else's.

RIP Mr. Conway. They'll be teaching about you in comedy workshops forever.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

RIP to a master of comedic acting and timing. I understand that the Burnett show would do tape two separate shows for each airing. In the first, the rule was to stick to the script. In the second, the cast had free rein to improvise in sketches. If take two worked better than take one, that's the one that would make the airwaves. Conway and Korman were in competition to crack each other up and though Korman was a stellar performer, Conway could push his buttons to crack up with ease. And then he'd keep up the pressure, piling on one screwball move after another until Harvey could barely recite his lines. Then there's the famous Mama's Family "Siamese elephants" skit where Tim destroyed everyone with a tall tale of two elephants attached at the trunk with Vickie Lawrence getting bleeped saying (in character) "are you sure that little asshole is finished". Makes me chuckle just thinking about it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Wow, Mama's Family... Hadn't thought of that show in years. I used to watch it as a kid, not knowing it originated from The Carol Burnett Show. I should rewatch both of those actually.

RIP. Tim's awesome. Totally spaced on that legendary Mama's Family moment.

Truly a comedic genius. Sorry to hear this.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    RIP to a master of comedic acting and timing. I understand that the Burnett show would do tape two separate shows for each airing. In the first, the rule was to stick to the script. In the second, the cast had free rein to improvise in sketches. If take two worked better than take one, that's the one that would make the airwaves. Conway and Korman were in competition to crack each other up and though Korman was a stellar performer, Conway could push his buttons to crack up with ease. And then he'd keep up the pressure, piling on one screwball move after another until Harvey could barely recite his lines. Then there's the famous Mama's Family "Siamese elephants" skit where Tim destroyed everyone with a tall tale of two elephants attached at the trunk with Vickie Lawrence getting bleeped saying (in character) "are you sure that little asshole is finished". Makes me chuckle just thinking about it.
    Yes, that one has always stuck in my mind as well.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

RIP Tim. He was one of my all time favorites. I loved watching Carol Burnett and he was just absolutely hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

He was from Cleveland. He actually started his career working with Ernie Anderson, aka late night movie host Ghoulardi (and later, "the voice of ABC" during the 70's and 80's). Then, in the early 60's, Tim met Rose Marie, one of the stars of The Dick Van Dyke Show, when she came to town to do a promo thing at the local CBS affiliate (which is where Tim and Ernie worked), and she sort of helped him slip his foot in the door in Hollywood, which led to McHale's Navy and beyond. Incidentally, his real first name was Tom, but there was already an actor in Hollywood named Tom Conway, so he became Tim Conway thereafter.

The sort of descendants of the late night movie show that Ernie Anderson did, Big Chuck and Lil John, regularly went out to LA to interview Ernie, who was and is still a legend here. One time, apparently, they called Tim to come over and take part, and upon Tim's arrival at Ernie's house, the two of them immediately fell into some hilarious improv comedy.

Comedic genius. Another huge loss this sad week.

He was one of the greats, without a doubt. Fearless, inventive, and with impeccable timing. The chemistry between him, Korman, Burnett, and Lawrence on the CB show was nothing short of incredible. RIP
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    He was one of the greats, without a doubt. Fearless, inventive, and with impeccable timing. The chemistry between him, Korman, Burnett, and Lawrence on the CB show was nothing short of incredible. RIP
    +1...well said.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    That was absolutely hilarious!. I'm laughing at my desk at work. Tim was brilliant.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

That kinda leaves Bob Newhart as the last of the old guard.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Lets not forget the aforementioned Rose Marie. Check out her bio.