Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alcatrazz

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    ha! i recall he sported a more grungeable shibuya-kei (90s j-pop, ref: pizzicato five) moptop during that era; but he’s certainly not the first western artist to learn certain things the hard way upon arriving in nippon. ask TOTO.
    Wait, I've never heard this story about Toto and Japan. What happened?

anyway, back to ALCATRAZZ … no such issues with bonnet’s flat top then …
    Ya know, one thing I do admire about Graham Bonnett is how he's always managed to have that sort of GQ look. Even when I saw him last year with Schenker, he still goes onstage look like he stepped of the cover of one of those magazines! AMazing! And he still has that voice!

Back in the late 80's, the BBC produced a TV show called Rock School, which was exactly what it sounds like, an educational programming teaching young musicians how to play various forms of popular music. There was one episode on metal, one on reggae, one on funk, etc. They also did a special about synths, where the entire band had synths, including the drummer, who had a kit that mixed Simmons pads with a Roland Octapad.

Anyway, so they did a show about vocalists, and Bonnett was one of the people they interviewed. He talked about how very early he developed the ability to sing "girl group" songs in the original key, and he also demonstrated his "operatic tenor" voice. Very versatile guy, I have to say.

the “big in japan” in-joke is as old as the closing segment of “this is spinal tap”
    At least that old, but I'm sure I read an article on Lita Ford where she talked about the only place The Runaways weren't a flop was in Japan. She said something like, "All you have to do to be popular over there is playing rock n roll and have blonde hair!". That comment might not have predated This Is Spinal Tap, but it indicated that maybe even in the 70's, "big in Japan" was a thing.

ANd speaking of Japan, why is it that every time a Western group goes over there, we get a live album out of it: Deep Purple, Santana, Miles Davis (we got two!), Cheap Trick, Alcatrazz, MSG, Asia (well, a concert video in their case), etc. Is this another one of those things like how they put bonus tracks on the Japanese editions of the regular albums, or what, to give the Japanese fans to buy the Japanese edition (which apparently, even over there is way more expensive than the Western editions)?

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Must admit I am rather partial to the Vai-version of Alcatrazz - and Vai himself apparently still holds the album he made during his time in the band in very high regard. I love the live in Japan video - the version of 'Breaking the Heart of the City' on that is absolutely fantastic, and Bonnett's vocals in particular absolutely jaw-dropping. The Yngwie version...not so much; it just suffers from too much Yngwie. But then I think everything Yngwie does suffers from too much Yngwie, so this isn't particularly unusual. One wonders what he'd have done with himself if he'd never discovered the harmonic minor scale...
    All of this.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Wait, I've never heard this story about Toto and Japan. What happened?
    when they first came over they found out that TOTO was actually the best known brand name in japan for mobile toilet systems (eg. for buildings sites or outdoor events). a story often told by lukather.

bonnet’s a great bloke who has somehow managed to keep himself busy over the years … never shy to revisit projects and/or join bands. maybe a more timeless hairdo is helpful in that matter. it is notable that many of those “big in japan” acts carry a heavy classical flavouring or at least strong pop clarity within their material (a lot of euro metal such as our own ACCEPT or HELLOWEEN is huge over there) which must be related to the country’s stronger affiliation to european high culture as opposed to american more laissez-faire jazz/blues roots. a mere hypothesis, thoughts welcome.