Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Doris Day

R.I.P. Doris Day

Well it's my birthday today and not what i wanted to hear. One of my childhood crushes has passed on...what an amazing talent! Great voice...great looks...great body...and she could act and dance on a high level too. Doris was my not so secret love.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace. My parents took me to so many of her movies when I was little.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Sad to hear this. I didn't realize she was 97 though, which is impressive. She lived a long life.

RIP. She really was a doll back in her day.

She hated her freckles, which was why you would often see the camera blurred during close-ups.

Never a huge fan, but she definitely had talent. 97 years is a loooooong time.

RIP.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I used to watch reruns of her sitcom back in the 80's. And I've seen a few of her movies. Sorry to hear she's gone. RIP

On Moonlight Bay and By the Light of the Silvery Moon are classics, to me.

Memories from my childhood... RIP Doris.

As a boy I thought Doris Day was the most beautiful lady ever. She was too old for a "crush" maybe more like the world's most glamorous mom. WOR used to show her old movies a lot on Saturdays and I watched them all many times, not so much for the (typically trite) plots but just to bask in her glow. She was that kind of person that makes you feel good about yourself and the world just by watching her.

Oh no more sad news, but 97 is some lifetime, and she was a screen icon, and also my other half's absolute favourite... she loves a bit of Calamity Jane... RIP

Happy Birthday Senior.

DtB

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The unsexiest beautiful woman in movie history, and she did it without even trying. RIP. 97yrs is a good run.

Kay sera sera...with all due respect.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A big animal lover as well. She started as a big band singer. A life well and long lived. RIP Doris Kappelhoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Rest in peace. My parents took me to so many of her movies when I was little.
    I watched a ton of those 60s films as a kid, too. She and Rock Hudson had gobs of chemistry and were so much fun to watch. I’d even recommend The Glass Bottom Boat, even if Rod Taylor is grumpy and unappealing. Doris shines through and Dom DeLuise has a funny part that makes it worth watching. Avoid Caprice, though; I thought a mod 60s spy thriller starring Doris Day sounded like a home run until I actually saw it.

Here’s Doris singing the Beach Boys, produced by her son:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Her early career as a big band singer is very underrated/forgotten, unfortunately. Quite the talented singer.

I always thought she was a good singer, and I loved Calamity Jane.

I remember the whole eerie connection in 1969 between her son Terry Melcher, the house he had previously lived in (where Sharon Tate was living when....), and the Beach Boys to Charlie & his Family. I can't begin to fathom was Doris thought about all that when it was happening in the news.

Lock Box's "unsexiest beautiful woman' comment is spot on imo.

RIP to yet another legend from my youth..
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Being a huge The Man From U.N.C.L.E. fan, I love this scene from The Glass Bottom Boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I watched a ton of those 60s films as a kid, too. She and Rock Hudson had gobs of chemistry and were so much fun to watch.
    Back in the 90's, I remember reading an article about some movie or TV show, where the male half of a couple was being played by a gay actor. The question was put forth whether a gay man and a straight woman could have on screen chemistry, and I remember the guy said something like "Oh, Rock Hudson and Doris Day already proved it's possible!"
    Here’s Doris singing the Beach Boys, produced by her son:
    Her son, Terry Melcher, also produced The Byrds, among other rock n roll bands.

I remember the whole eerie connection in 1969 between her son Terry Melcher, the house he had previously lived in (where Sharon Tate was living when....), and the Beach Boys to Charlie & his Family. I can't begin to fathom was Doris thought about all that when it was happening in the news.
    I wasn't going to bring it up, but yeah, apparently the LaBiancas lived next door to another guy was involved in Manson's botched record deal, and he believed that it was no coincidence that the first night's killings happened at Melcher's former residence, and the second night's was next door to him. I think he said he believed the only reason he was still alive was he was out partying that night, so the Manson people moved on to the house next door.

And another weird bit of irony with that whole deal was The Byrds (who, as I said, worked with Melcher) did the theme song for a movie called Don't Make Waves, which Sharon Tate was in.

I have a lot of time for her as a singer- always thought she had an excellent voice. Probably the songs I hear most by her in the UK are actually the 60s ones 'Move Over Darling' (a big UK hit at the time) and 'Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps' (a big UK hit nearly 30 years after it was an album track!). Of course her success spans all the way back to the big band days of Les Brown and 'Sentimental Journey'.

Of all the big non-rock stars of the 50s, only Johnny Mathis (somewhat younger, born in the mid 30s) and Tony Bennett are still around.

I remember seeing Glass Bottom Boat at the drive-in with my parents and little brother (Christ, I'm old). My mother adored Doris. My mother also was convinced that Rock Hudson was straight (even Liberace!).

Day's chemistry with Rock was fantastic, they were so in sync in those old rom-coms. Her voice, though obviously not my taste, was as clear and pure as a mountain spring. And she was one helluva lifelong activist for animal causes. RIP indeed.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I had heard she was not the nicest person, especially in her later years.

I remember when that My Heart outtakes album came out earlier in this decade (the one with 'Disney Girls' on it) she did a fairly long telephone interview on the BBC News channel. I think she might have had a UK record at that time as the oldest artist to make the charts. ISTR it sold fairly well here.

I recently saw one of what has to have been one of her early movies , opposite Kirk Douglas , Young Man With A Horn. She was positively raidient . And she got to sing. What a beauty.

Paul McCartney remembers Doris Day:

'So sad to hear of Doris Day passing away. She was a true star in more ways than one. I had the privilege of hanging out with her on a few occasions. Visiting her in her Californian home was like going to an animal sanctuary where her many dogs were taken care of in splendid style. She had a heart of gold and was a very funny lady who I shared many laughs with. Her films like 'Calamity Jane', 'Move Over, Darling' and many others were all incredible and her acting and singing always hit the mark. I will miss her but will always remember her twinkling smile and infectious laugh as well as the many great songs and movies she gave us. God bless Doris.'
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"