Thread: Mancave: Arcade Console MAME Build

Mancave: Arcade Console MAME Build

I had posted this in the video game thread. I will continue with updates.

I am about 50% done with my MAME project.

When we bought our home, the previous owners left their Golden Tee arcade console in the garage. The guy had a few gaming consoles, slot machines, etc. We've since found out that he would work on them as a hobby. The unit he left wasn't in the best shape. I originally wanted to contact a gaming shop or Craigslist the SOB eyesore outta here! One day, I started inspecting the unit to see how these things are built. I had an idea to research emulators. I decided to make a Pandora's Box MAME.

With the assistance of a friend of mine, we began to disassemble the unit.

I designed the graphics and did some test prints of the marquee. Most marquee artwork is printed on translucent film, then a clear acrylic piece covers the face. Light shines through the film to illuminate the graphic. I used modern technology and eliminated the film. Film is often opaque and not very clear. Instead, I cut new clear acrylic and printed directly to the back surface. This is a delicate process, as you have to print one pass of the entire color image on the back. Then you flood the entire backside with white ink. Then another printing pass over the white. When light shines through, the colors are very vibrant.

Here is a test run with the marquee over a small light box and then an image of the marquee in place for a sizing test.

Today I completed the artwork for the RULES section that is located between the speaker vents.

I have selected my button control pattern and purchased illuminated buttons and trackball that I will install over the next couple of weeks. That takes some routing of the wood panel. Once that is complete, I need to do some graphics for the controls and install those. My completion date is approximately June 9th. I'll keep updating through the final stretch.

By the way, the brain comes with 1300 games pre-loaded (some X-Rated games) Once I get the machine running, I will be adding another 300-500 more games, including some Playstation games.

[--this was relevant so I carried it over from the previous thread--]

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Very nice. Please keep us posted.

So, how much are you going to charge people to play it?
    Actually, it can be programmed to activate upon coin insertion. I might use the coin slot buttons to activate some other gadget. There is a card reader, so I will see what my tech buddy says we can do with that. In my game rules I have a line that reads: All gambling winnings must pay 10% to the house.

I have purchased a small amp and volume control unit today. I will upgrade the speakers after everything is up and running. I also have a volume control knob to install, most likely on the top of the machine.

Here's a long overview of the brain and how the games look. Towards the middle is where he talks about adding other games:

Worked on it a bit this weekend.

This machine is portable, but not practical. To move it, there is a handle in the back. You pull back and support the weight of the machine as two rear wheels now touch the ground. The existing mounts weren't in good shape.

I wanted to add casters so that I can wheel the machine to different portions of the house. Luckily, I found some 4" casters (with brakes) that fit the existing threading.

Here she stands with her wheels, like a hot shoe, burnin' down the avenue...

Now that I can spin her right round, baby right round, like a record, baby, right round it was time to remove the t-molding and lay down a layer of white vinyl. Eventually I will do some type of side panel graphics with an accent t-mold color. For now, I will keep it basic.

Removing the graphics

Removed the side bolts. As you can see, the panel is a bit worn. The new vinyl will give it a newer look.

Sizing up the vinyl was a bit interesting as the panel is not a standard square or rectangle. My vinyl is 30" wide and the panel is 28.5" at it's widest so I had to get very close with my alignment. And yes, my vinyl is sourced from original analog tapes.

Here is the first sheet going up.

I fixed small gashes and imperfections prior to installing the new vinyl. Once the vinyl has been applied, then the t-molding will be applied. Here is how bad the wear-n-tear was in some parts...

Removing t-molding

Here is the first side done with new vinyl and t-molding in place. The vinyl gave me some problems, but I was able to maneuver and reform it to my liking.

Most portions I was able to get a solid seam.

This portion began to separate, but it can easily be remedied with a thin bead of caulk. Yes, I said caulk! You can also see the vinyl is glistening. A beautiful sight! We're happy tonight!

Very happy with the weekend results

I replaced the black t-molding. After doing so, I think I will cover the existing black side panel with some gloss black vinyl. Groovy, man! Yeah, there's too many existing scuffs that are not going to be able to be buffed out.

I finished the weekend by doing a test run with the graphics, and also a chance to check replacement screws.

Put the bezel in place to check that alignment

So far everything is moving along as I hoped. No huge problems. A lot of this I am doing for the first time so it's a learn-as-I-go type of project. Next week we get into the wiring and hopefully I won't be blinded by science. I also need to cut the clear acrylic for the screen.

The eons are closing
    [emoji106]
    Awesome
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Best DIY project I've seen this year!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks guys!

Worked on it a bit more this past weekend...

I printed out the rules on very thin non-glare styrene. Came out excellent!!! Here is a Lightbox test of it:

Photos do not do it justice. The colors are vibrant and pop! Not blurry at all.

More to come tomorrow...

The eons are closing
    Whats Happening! [emoji106]
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Wait a second, I thought you had some X-rated games on that thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Wait a second, I thought you had some X-rated games on that thing.
    Well, they are on there. I have the option to program them in or have them hidden. The rules are in place because I have friends with some children who I definitely do not want near the machine until they are much older.

The coin box is plastic and removable. The shelf that holds it was bare metal, so I took out the box and painted it black. Using that area for the amp, iPod dock, and audio switcher.

Installed and tested the amp

I'll install a switcher so I can select between game music and the iPod.
    This amp has more than enough umph for what I need.
    The lock is being replaced with a turn latch.

The power supply and main unit were also installed.

Powers ON and everything fires up well, including the audio.

I've made the decision to replace the monitor with a 25" LED game monitor. I'm pricing them now so that will be in within the next couple of weeks.

So cool! Love the "No Teasing" rule. Applicable to adults and little kids.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Gruno, how is the build going?

Hey, thanks for asking! Got delayed with some work I had to complete.

I will post some images later to show the status.