Thread: Bronze-age comics - looking for advice

Bronze-age comics - looking for advice

First-off: I am not trying to sell anything here on PE.

I have a small (<250) collection of mostly Bronze and a few Silver age books that have been decently preserved, and am looking to liquidate. I know I could just put them up individually on eBay, but I'm wondering if anyone here who has tested these waters has any do/do not do advice in this area, including grading the books or having them graded?

Thanks in advance for any input!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

A lot of sellers choose not to grade, probably due to some disputes with buyers in the past. However, if you want to get as much as you can for each item, I would recommend that you list a grade. 1) Grade the whole book, not just the cover 2) Grade conservatively 3) Provide a full range of pictures 4) Describe any serious defects

Obviously, that's starting to become work, but it will bring a better return. It's not hard to find Bronze Age (20 c) issues in really nice shape, so if yours are not, I would not recommend going to that much trouble. In that case, just provide a slew of pictures.

Yes, to get some money, not chump change, you'll need to spend some time grading and providing scans or digital pictures (which is the biggest boost for ensuring a decent price if you're not sure about the grade).

I'll give you one major don't: sending them to a professional grading service to be slabbed. Yes, they'll give you an accurate grade and place it in a clear heavy-duty plastic "slab" for display. While people do spend money on those, you'll pay dearly for that extra service. I would only do that for a key issue, like a #1 or a first appearance of a major character (or just a very old comic).

If you like, you can PM me a list if you have one. I can do a little better than my usual two cents that way.

Find local comic shops. Not the in/out style. Find the ones where they care about comics. Take them in there and see what they say. Then, go elsewhere and get their thoughts. From there, either sell to those shops, if interested, or do the eBay thing.

Thank you all - much appreciated!
    David

Check back in before making a hurried decision. We are here for you.

Absolutely - I have a list started, and will get back to it after the holiday weekend. I think I have a few that it will prove to be worthwhile to have saved.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Absolutely - I have a list started, and will get back to it after the holiday weekend. I think I have a few that it will prove to be worthwhile to have saved.

Okay, finally getting back to this. The collection is mostly Marvel, mostly from about '73-'77, with the most interesting and potentially valuable titles being Avengers, Spiderman, X-Men, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, and Guardians of the Galaxy, due I suppose to the success (or at least existence) of the motion pictures featuring the characters. Almost all are bagged and most are boarded as well. I'm just starting the grading process but I'm optimistic from a cursory look through that a good percentage of these will come in at VF and above. Among the #1s I have are the titles Freedom Fighters and Secret Society of Super Villains (DC), Nova, Ms. Marvel, Omega The Unknown, Peter Parker the Spectacular Spiderman, and The Eternals (Marvel). I also have copies of the first two Kiss 'Marvel Comics Super Special' books (#1 "printed in real Kiss blood!", and the second with the fold-out poster intact).

Any thoughts or advice continue to be appreciated!
    David