May 17: London Oslo
    May 19: Leeds The Wardrobe
    May 21: Glasgow Audio
    May 22: Nottingham Rescue Rooms
    May 23: Cardiff The Globe
    May 24: Bristol Thekla
    May 25: Southampton 1865
    May 26: Seaton The Gateway

Just listened to it this morning and liked it quite a bit. I can't go into many details because I'm not a big fan of the band's past output except as a novelty. However, this I liked. Musicianship was really good with a jazzy vibe as well as good rocking-out moments.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Whoa, didn't realize it was out already! I need to hear this one.

It's very-very good. I don't know on what grounds the name is being kept, but it is definitely in the spirit of old Gong, albeit in a more modern, polished sound.

Kavus is a guarantee of quality in any case.

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Last one was great. I'm a big Kavus Torobi fan so this is an autobuy!!! Can't wait to hear it.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Somewhere after Gong’s 2032 album Daevid Allen sought to renew the Gong band, in a shuffle that would eventually replace the entire old guard. Bassist Dave Sturt was first to arrive in 2010, while reed player Ian East jumped on board shortly thereafter. Allen’s son and drummer Orlando Monday Allen arrived in 2012, and following a series of concerts in Brazil, guitarist and long time greater Gong family member Fabio Golfetti joined the fold. Prior to recording 2014’s excellent I See You album, singer and guitarist Kavus Torabi was recruited.
    A few corrections to the above :

- both Dave Sturt and Ian East joined in 2009 for the "2032" tour (I seem to remember Mike Howlett did a few of the early dates before moving to Australia for a few years, and maybe Theo Travis also did a few - he certainly had done the 2008 London gigs, and played on the album). That touring continued into 2010 with the same line-up (Daevid, Gilli, Steve, Miquette, Dave, Ian and Chris Taylor on drums).

- Gong re-appeared in 2012 for extensive touring. New to the band were Fabio Golfetti on guitar/gliss and Orlando Allen on drums. Otherwise, Daevid and Gilli were still there (Gilli missed a few gigs, and that was the last touring she did with Gong), as were of course Dave Sturt and Ian East. That line-up did a few more gigs in 2013. By 2014, Kavus Torabi had joined too, and there were a few gigs in South America, the only ones with both Daevid and Kavus.

- In late 2014, a European tour was planned [to coincide with the release of "I See You"] with Daevid still on board, but he had to bow out due to illness, so the tour got scaled down and it was decided to do it with a UK-based drummer instead, so Cheb Nettles joined then, and the resulting band has remained unchanged since : Kavus, Dave, Ian, Fabio and Cheb.
    Last edited by calyx; 05-13-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

The new album is good. It'll take a few months I'm sure to know whether it is a keeper, but the initial impressions are positive.

Two comments: First I'm glad they didn't do any goofy Pothead Pixie stuff. Only Daevid could pull that off without looking ridiculous.

Second, they have created a new space rock sound that is clearly consistent with what early Gong tried to do (minus the PHP stuff of course!). I'm glad they don't try to sound like the Ozrics or any more recent purveyors of the genre. It is their own sound.

I love the new album, I have played it frequently over the past few days, and feel it harks back to the classic "70's trilogy" sound, but has a modern sheen and re-energises the band for the present era.

As noted above Kavus is a sure mark of quality, and the legacy seems to have been passed on to worthy successors. I think Daevid and Gilli would definitely approve.

I hadn't realised the tour was already upon us, I want to go to the London gig on Friday, but am currently double booked and need to do some clever diary management to make it, but it would be a huge shame to miss out.

Banned
    I bought the ticket for the Bristol gig.

"My Sawtooth Wake" is a really cool song. I love that bass riff!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    A few corrections to the above :

- both Dave Sturt and Ian East joined in 2009 for the "2032" tour (I seem to remember Mike Howlett did a few of the early dates before moving to Australia for a few years, and maybe Theo Travis also did a few - he certainly had done the 2008 London gigs, and played on the album). That touring continued into 2010 with the same line-up (Daevid, Gilli, Steve, Miquette, Dave, Ian and Chris Taylor on drums).

Aymeric, I will send you all my writings for proofing first... at least the relevant ones

Anyway, ticket booked to HRH Prog in Sheffield. Finally, a chance to see this lineup live and some other great bands from the era. Does anyone know what Vintage Caravan are?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I was reluctant to buy this new album, as I was a bit put off by some of the overt silliness of the albums I listened to years ago. But because it's a Kscope release, and I buy-before-I-try, I decided to go with it.

So glad I did - it's an excellent album, and a great way to (re)discover Gong if you've not listened to them before. I've put together a brief blog review to share my thoughts on the album:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....ollapses-2019/

Although Steve Hillage isn't on it, his influence is all through it, and these are the guys who'll be his backing band for his upcoming live shows celebrating his solo albums.

Just chiming in to say I haven't heard any Gong material since Expresso II, but decided to give this a listen. I'm very happy I did - this is good stuff right here. Purchased!

Very big fan of the the last two Gong albums, and I happily purchased the new album from Wayside today. Hooray!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Also playing in Salisbury for the ABC Convention - Benefit for Tim Smith - July 13th at the Salisbury Arts Center. A great price for the whole weekend - you also get to see Lost Crowns, Blue Apple Boy, Gasman, Vonhorn, The Display Team, and Sunday 14th - Emily Jones, Crayola Lectern, and Valve --- now that is a badass weekend.

Looking forward to seeing them in Leeds tomorrow.

Haven't heard the last few releases although I did find 2032 recently, which was top fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    "My Sawtooth Wake" is a really cool song. I love that bass riff!
    It screams Continental Circus...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I like a lot the Baba O Riley introduction...and when the bass comes in it's love, pot and prog.

Can anyone tell me the time signature of Sawtooth Wake? I am lousy at this. I count 7/8 but I can't be right, right?

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well I didn't get along to the London gig, apparently it was sold out and a blast I will try and catch them somewhere else in the UK soon, and do have Mr Hillage coming up soon too.

I love the album to bits it has been on constant rotation for me this week, and I am also hearing echoes back to those early Gong days, it sits very well in their lengthy and diverse catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I like a lot the Baba O Riley introduction...and when the bass comes in it's love, pot and prog.

Can anyone tell me the time signature of Sawtooth Wake? I am lousy at this. I count 7/8 but I can't be right, right?
    Just 8/8 to my ears.

Count me in amongst those who are really enjoying this record. It channels the best of Flying Teapot Gong, has distinct echoes of late 70s Hillage, taps into a rich seam of space rock, whilst managing to sound completely contemporary. A real step forwards from its splendid predecessor.

looked for it in a B&M store yesterday, and it hasn't arrived yet (despite its release date of May 10th)

Have to order it, cos surprisingly the K-scope labell is not really distributed by Bertus (the main guy in BNL)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.