Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New IQ Album for 2019

New IQ Album for 2019

I see on IQHQ that there is a New Album Release Show on September 7, 2019.

Anyone have news on the new release?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I don't think there's anything more officially than the fact that a new album is slated for the end of the year (continuing the trend of releasing an album on years ending with a 4 and a 9!)
    Unless people with inside knowledge can add anything to that.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

All they've said for a release date is "early September", which I suppose coincides with that show on the 7th. Back around Christmas they were posting videos on their official FB page showing Nicholls recording vocals, so it must be pretty close to complete already.

I saw them play one of the new songs last October in Montreal, called Momo. Not sure if that title will stick, but looking forward to hearing it again since I can't remember how it goes!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good news -- I really like the IQ material.
    Everything since Seventh House is an auto-buy for me.

That track was Nome, progatron (great show in Montreal wasn't it).. I heard the live version of another called Threes that is really out there! Looking forward to the new CD bigtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    That track was Nome, progatron (great show in Montreal wasn't it).. I heard the live version of another called Threes that is really out there! Looking forward to the new CD bigtime.
    Oops, I think we're both wrong, it is actually Mome - a combination of both of our incorrect memories!

Yes, fabulous show although a bizarrely cold venue! Looking forward to Threes as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Auto-buy!!!
    The Prog Corner

Awesome. I thought Road of Bones was one of their best in a long time. And of course, 2017's Tales From a Dark Christmas was equally fab.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    Good news -- I really like the IQ material.
    Everything since Seventh House is an auto-buy for me.
    Ditto.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Great news indeed. The Christmas CD was a fine addition to the collection.
    Looking forward to yet another variation on Apocalypse in 9/8 !

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Looking forward to yet another variation on Apocalypse in 9/8 !
    As much as I like them, one has to admit that they have pulled that trick a bit too often.

Anybody a member of the IQ Forum? I see it has been taken down?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    As much as I like them, one has to admit that they have pulled that trick a bit too often.
    There's "The Seventh House" and "Harvest of Souls," as far as I know. Is there another one?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Pretty much an auto-buy, at this point.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They've been auto-buy for me since 1986. TRoB will be tough to top. I'll be surprised if they do, but that's OK. I'm still expecting a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    There's "The Seventh House" and "Harvest of Souls," as far as I know. Is there another one?
    There is also a similar section in "The Province" on Frequency and nods to it in "The Dark Christmas Suite".

There is also a similar section in "The Province" on Frequency and nods to it in "The Dark Christmas Suite".
    Isn't there also one in Further Away on Ever? I need to revisit this one.

Isn't there also one in Further Away on Ever? I need to revisit this one.
    Yes, there is.

There could be comparative studies about this.

None of those sections are in 9/8 though, as far as I can recall. They are mostly synth or organ solos against a pounding rhythm. It's the same intent and mood but not pure imitation. The only exception would be Harvest Of Souls where some melody lines during the solo are on the verge of quoting the Apocalypse solo but deliberately avoid a direct quote at the last moment.

None of those sections are in 9/8 though, as far as I can recall. They are mostly synth or organ solos against a pounding rhythm. It's the same intent and mood but not pure imitation. The only exception would be Harvest Of Souls where some melody lines during the solo are on the verge of quoting the Apocalypse solo but deliberately avoid a direct quote at the last moment.
    Indeed. To me those sections are not really imitations, they're more like a funny IQ trademark, and maybe a wink to their fans - "Hey, we've made another one !"

An auto-buy, of course. I have loved these guys since I first heard them in 2005 (I know, I know... I was WAY late to that party).

This thread prompted me to go listen to the 25th Anniversary edition of Ever again, and now I've just finished Road of Bones and will be moving on to Frequency next.

I usually avoid IQ binges because they just highlight how similar their albums have been in the past 20 years. But taken one by one, they are all great.

Indeed. To me those sections are not really imitations, they're more like a funny IQ trademark, and maybe a wink to their fans - "Hey, we've made another one !"
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I usually avoid IQ binges because they just highlight how similar their albums have been in the past 20 years. But taken one by one, they are all great.
    In their defense, they've only put out 4 albums in the past 20 years.