Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think that 10s is a great decade for Prog?

For a dead thing it moves relatively ok, and it doesn't smell that funny. Progz rulz - and don't anybody think anything different for a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    When The Stone Roses issued their debut album in May '89, the "retro" print of it was the very name of the game - the core intent of its provocative goal. The fact that it appears like just another semi-digitally produced indie/alternative Brit-pop fad now does not detract from this.
    No. This is hyper-intelligent music that has carefully erased the footprints back to the source. At least for the less erudite of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    For a dead thing it moves relatively ok, and it doesn't smell that funny. Progz rulz - and don't anybody think anything different for a minute.
    While you're surely being colorful in your words, the 10s were by far the worst decade for Prog - outside of perhaps the 80s...perhaps. Sure, for the sound chasers like you, me, and a modest percentage of others on sites like these, we know there's great music out there to be discovered. It also helps if you're open minded and interested in listening to a wider variety of musical styles.

However, once you get outside our little bubble, the current state is more akin to a small Amish town getting contaminated water runoff from the metropolis several miles upstream.

The only reason that small town survives is because of the internet and technology. The internet provides us the ability congregate, discuss, and catalog all the music we learn about that's out there. The technology allows DIY indie groups to keep producing it and get it out there for all to hear. On that level, it is a renaissance in the same way one can refer to crowdsourced content across many mediums.

And for many, access to content has had the opposite effect. There is too much to listen to and choose from, so people go back to what's familiar, be it older music, or only music from artists, labels, regions, genres they have a connection to. The vast majority of the music is lost in plain sight by even a wide variety of prog fans. Aspiring musicians are lucky if they can come on places such as this and have anyone give a shit they produced something.

But to go full circle, sure, it's alive and VERY underground, being enjoyed by the fraction of a fraction of a fraction of sound chasers like us who do the work to seek it out and share it with others.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^ Hi Sean,
    I was saying - taking out the 80's quote, perhaps included - the same thing you say, in a sarcastic and less elaborate way. We agree. I hope my rhetoric is not too colorful! Someone has to add some wood in the fire, unless we freeze. Cheers!

Banned
    As the thread starter, I felt duty to post here the list of fifty albums released by contemporary Prog bands and solo artists of which I thought that they are worthy for the genre in one way or another.
    Not in any particular order.

The Far Meadow - Given The Impossible
    The Far Meadow - Foreign Land
    Red Bazar - Tales From The Bookcase
    This Winter Machine - The Man Who Never Was
    Gandalf's Fist - The Clockwork Fable
    The Emerald Dawn - Nocturne
    Willowglass - The Dream Harbour
    Edensong - Years In The Garden Of Years
    Diagonal - s/t
    Syd Arthur - On An On
    Wobbler - From Silence To Somewhere
    Karfagen - Lost Symphony
    Not A Good Sign - s/t
    Druckfarben - Second Sound
    Messenger - Illusory Blues
    Messenger - Threnodies
    Zoff - FFF
    Viritidas - Red Mars
    Valis Ablaze- Boundless
    We Are Kin - Pandora
    Ggantija - Vert:X
    Voices From The Fuselage - Odyssey - The Destroyer of Worlds
    Voices From The Fuselage - Odyssey II - The Fonder of Dreams
    David Younger - Spiritual Atheist
    David Younger - Freedom
    Vienna Cirlcle - Silhouette Moon
    Moths - Here Lies the Question
    The Napier's Bones - Monuments
    WyrDGeneS - edgeLäNDER
    Goldbug - The Seven Dreams
    Voice of the Seven Woods - s/t
    Iamthemorning - Belighted
    Lizards Exist - s/t
    Eden Shadow - Phases
    Tiger Moth Tales - Cocoon
    Coalition - Bridge Across Time
    Quantum Pig - Songs Of Industry And Sunshine
    Chalcedony - Chapter II
    Renascence - Opus Arise
    Kinky Wizzards -Quirky Musings
    The Crystal Sun - Landscape
    Frost* - Falling Satellites
    Aquaplanage - s/t
    I Am The Manic Whale - Everything Beautiful In Time
    Cosmograph - Capacitor
    Also Eden - [REDACTED]
    High Spy - Ignition
    The Gift - Why the Sea is Salt
    Lifesigns -s/t
    Gleb Kolyadin - s/t
    Last edited by daoubourg; 06-29-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I am obsessed with Asturias right now!!!
    I didn't realize how prolific they had become in this decade!

they had 3 albums in the 80s and then disappeared for a long time, but those 5 albums in this decade are absolute monsters of Symphonic Rock. The fact that they are instrumental is icing on the cake for me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I could list 100 great prog albums from this decade but in general I agree with the conclusion...it seems like we aren't getting young prog bands anymore. Though I suspect that extends to "bands" in general.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

If you are asking about new acts debuting in the 10s, eh.
    If you are asking about existing acts releasing new material, slightly above average.
    If you are asking about new acts or trends blowing me away, nope.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    ^^ Hi Sean,
    I was saying - taking out the 80's quote, perhaps included - the same thing you say, in a sarcastic and less elaborate way. We agree. I hope my rhetoric is not too colorful! Someone has to add some wood in the fire, unless we freeze. Cheers!
    Ha, no worries. You've been spending too much time around Richard I think.

Quote Originally Posted by daoubourg View Post
    As the thread starter, I felt duty to post here the list of fifty albums released by contemporary Prog bands and solo artists of which I thought that they are worthy for the genre in one way or another.
    Not in any particular order.
    Thank you for posting.

I think it's a fair discussion to have btw, so please don't get discouraged if some posts are a bit more cynical than yours.

Diagonal - s/t
    Decent album, but 2008, so not part of your original question. Personally, I like their second album from 2012 better.

Not A Good Sign - s/t
    Aside from the Diagonal, this is probably the only one on your list that rates for me. Which isn't so much a comment on your taste or mine as it is an observation on what I was saying about how diffuse "Prog" has become, which I think has both positive and negative consequences.

Thanks for starting the thread, it's interesting.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I didn't realize how prolific they had become in this decade!

they had 3 albums in the 80s and then disappeared for a long time, but those 5 albums in this decade are absolute monsters of Symphonic Rock. The fact that they are instrumental is icing on the cake for me
    I'll admit this band flew under the radar of this symph weenie...

You got a link where we can sample?? (bandcamp links are pretty confusing in my search)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'll admit this band flew under the radar of this symph weenie...

You got a link where we can sample?? (bandcamp links are pretty confusing in my search)
    I think their absolute perfect masterpiece is Missing Piece of My Life (they have since released 2 more albums, both of which are very good)

the composer is a multi-instrumentalist but it is a full band

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

A musician friend of mine, from back in high school in the mid 70's no less, were hanging out at a club a week or so ago, and we saw, Thank You Scientist, Kindo(shortened name) as well as In The Presence of Wolves, three great bands, for a measly 20 bucks, they were all fantastic, this being a small bar in St. Paul MN, where we have seen, to our surprise, Haken, Plini, Scale the Summit, Mammoth (now called Thrailkill), Animals as Heroes, Gracepoint, David Maxim Micic,
    Sithu Aye, Andy James, and a few more, going to see Minnemann, Govan and Bellar (Aristocats) in a few weeks, Snarky Puppy in a month.
    As for us, this era has been as good as it gets here in fly over country, As for Prog, it has been an excellent decade in the 10's thus far.

While I am not longing for days gone by, this new generation of musicians has impressed the H.... out of me, Thank You Scientist, Bubblemath, Haken, Mammoth these guys are bringing the goods to their live shows, and are worth every penny, rather than lament the fact that all the 70's heroes are fading into obscurity, the kids are not all sold out to my ears.

I think their absolute perfect masterpiece is Missing Piece of My Life (they have since released 2 more albums, both of which are very good)

the composer is a multi-instrumentalist but it is a full band
    yikes, this is wayayayayayay too weeny-ish for me

not that it's bad (on the contrary, it's rather good in its genre), but it's just not my dope
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I simply lured him in.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Decent album, but 2008, so not part of your original question. Personally, I like their second album from 2012 better.

Aside from the Diagonal, this is probably the only one on your list that rates for me. Which isn't so much a comment on your taste or mine as it is an observation on what I was saying about how diffuse "Prog" has become, which I think has both positive and negative consequences.

Thanks for starting the thread, it's interesting.

Bill
    Thank you. Well, my list is actually an extended list of thirty albums that I listed in three posts of mine on the other "2010s" thread, where the OP allowed these albums that were released sometime before January 1, 2010. Therefore, maybe I screwed up with a few more albums regarding their releasing dates, but more or less that's it.
    As you can see, my list is almost strictly oriented to British genre called Progressive rock (often shortened to Prog or Prog Rock) and hence I've included on my list only a few of "proggy" albums (for instance, The Seven Dreams CD by "proggy" avantgarde U.S. band Goldbug) that weren't recorded within a framework of Progressive rock as a distinct genre as well.

^^

Bye the way the new Diagonal Album Arc will be out on early summer.

As you can see, my list is almost strictly oriented to British genre called Progressive rock (often shortened to Prog or Prog Rock) and hence I've included on my list only a few of "proggy" albums (for instance, The Seven Dreams CD by "proggy" avantgarde U.S. band Goldbug) that weren't recorded within a framework of Progressive rock as a distinct genre as well.
    I put a list in that other thread as well, and I'd argue that almost every one of the albums I included were recorded within a framework of Prog as a distinct genre, most aimed largely at the Prog audience that reads Progression Magazine, buys CD from Wayside/Laser's Edge (or their international counterparts), or otherwise is tuned in to that scene.

So in that context, I'm surprised you don't mention bands like Accordo Dei Contrari, All Traps on Earth, Ciccada, Deluge Grander, District 97, Ghost Rhythms, Homunculus Res, Hooffoot, Sanguine Hum, Scherzoo, Seven Impale, or others that have made a fairly big splash in our relatively little Prog Rock pond and were clearly recorded within the "framework" of Prog as a genre. Again, not criticizing your list, your taste is your own. It's just interesting to me how two people who view the genre in much the same way can come to such radically different conclusions about the highlight albums within the style over the past 10 years.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    True. My character has thus deteriorated, but my knowledge expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    I don't see any shortage of symphonic prog: Flower Kings, Glass Hammer, Nad Sylvan, Samurai of Prog, Willowglass, just to name a few that come to mind.
    Compared to how many acts there were in the late 90s and twenty aughts, it's been on a steady decline.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    yikes, this is wayayayayayay too weeny-ish for me

not that it's bad (on the contrary, it's rather good in its genre), but it's just not my dope
    yeah, I realize that most proggers aren't into every style of progressive Rock music there is. Most tend to fixate on one or two styles and ignore the rest. I love all styles of progressive Rock music and can recognize brilliance whether it be Symph Rock, Jazz Rock, Avant Rock or Afro Prog just to name a few styles I appreciate.

yeah, I realize that most proggers aren't into every style of progressive Rock music there is. Most tend to fixate on one or two styles and ignore the rest. I love all styles of progressive Rock music and can recognize brilliance whether it be Symph Rock, Jazz Rock, Avant Rock or Afro Prog just to name a few styles I appreciate.
    don't know if you're addressing to me specifically, but outside the metal and neo subgenres, I'm into a lot of music in the rest of them...
    Symphonic prog, beit 70's or modern (like Anglagard) included, but there is fine limit where I jump off the train (stuff like Sky, Ekseption, Trace is simply "no thanks" to me, as it nears the ridicule or insufferable)
    Asturias (from whatever you've shown me) threads on the borderline limit, but I know there is much worse out there

On this board, these discussions are always derailed by the same little arrogant group of people who are incessantly enamored with their own perceived sophistication. It just gets to be a sickening spectacle time and time again.

The enjoyment of any art is subjective. I like this, you like that, who gives a f*ck whether anyone else likes what anyone else likes. Seriously.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    It is a great decade for interesting and progressive music. Best since the seventies I think.
    This^