Thread: Rick Beato: WMTSG-Rush-"Limelight"

Rick Beato: WMTSG-Rush-"Limelight"

Last edited by Sean; 05-06-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I stumbled across this last night while surfing YouTube. Love it! Great to see someone like Rick (with all his years of experience with various aspects of music) still being a bit like an excited teenager when hearing this (and being able to solo all the cool parts...like many of us would have done when we were 15 and had the ability).
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Wow, thanks for sharing. As a guy who plays guitar with a group of guys strictly doing Rush tunes i find this to be a great help to understanding some of their eccentricities. Rick Beato seems very talented and a likable dude, yet another youtube rabbit hole to fall into (was just checking out the Kid Charlemagne video of his too).

VERY cool breakdown. But one thing Beato does that drives me crazy is when he refers to something like a "sus4 chord with the third in it" as he does here. I've seen him argue for the validity of this description, but I don't buy it. The whole point of a sus chord is that the 2 or 4 replaces the third. If there's a third present, it's not a sus chord by definition; it's a 9th or 11th chord if the 7th is also present, or an add9/add11 if there's no 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    VERY cool breakdown. But one thing Beato does that drives me crazy is when he refers to something like a "sus4 chord with the third in it" as he does here. I've seen him argue for the validity of this description, but I don't buy it. The whole point of a sus chord is that the 2 or 4 replaces the third. If there's a third present, it's not a sus chord by definition; it's a 9th or 11th chord if the 7th is also present, or an add9/add11 if there's no 7th.
    While some may file this under petty semantics.... I TOTALLY ARGREE WITH YOU. If it's a sus chord, there's no third. CASE CLOSED. If there *is* a third, it's an add2/9 or add4/11. Or in the case of the major add2/9, just do what Steely Dan does and call it the mu major chord.

- Matt

i'm curious how does a guy get access to all of those isolated tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    What he said ^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has various music industry connections.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

For any rock lovers with a performance and music theory background, this guy is fun to watch................enthusiasm is contagious.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    For any rock lovers with a performance and music theory background, this guy is fun to watch................enthusiasm is contagious.
    I resemble this remark, and wholeheartedly agree.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    One common source for these are the plastic instrument video games such as Rock Band and Guitar Hero that were popular about ten years ago. The music in these games is mixed on the fly from isolated parts so that the instruments being played are slightly louder than usual and whenever a player makes a mistake, the sound of that instrument cuts off for a moment. It didn't take long for hackers to figure out how to extract individual audio tracks from these games, and there are hundreds if not thousands of original licensed songs available for download, for instance the entire Moving Pictures album.

Uhhh, and where might one find such isolated tracks (besides Jammit and Crammit)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Rick must be reading this thread:

Wasn't Limelight the first single?