Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 70's killer funk (the proggy funky kind)

70's killer funk (the proggy funky kind)

don't talk to me about the 80's crap like Grandmaster Flash or Rick James , I want da real stuff.

We were grooving last night to Lord Funk

Let's get grooooooving som'more, bros!!!
    Last edited by Trane; 05-05-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There is a much funkier version on (only) the vinyl version of Maceo Parker: Life on planet groove with Kenwood Dennard on drums, but its from 92.
    This one is ok too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAfAJ4_6rs

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    don't talk to me about the 80's crap like Grandmaster Flash or Rick James , I want da real stuff.

Tasty !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Tasty !!!
    Belgian stuff as I understand (though not everything on these compilations is Belgian)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    LOVE her!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Hello Trane!.
    I like 70’s funk and jazz/funk specially from the USSR, Poland and Cuba.

There are some good YT videos of groups as well as compilations, for example:

- Polish Funk - The Unique Selection Of Rare Grooves From Poland Of The 70's:
    https://youtu.be/BqFw40RgeZA

https://youtu.be/kdXB1snRaPg

- Soviet Funk Volume One : 70's Funk, Soul, Jazz, Rock USSR (Russian) Music Compilation:
    https://youtu.be/_9cX-i-l9IE

- Revolucion! Original Cuban Funk Grooves 1967 - 1978:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXno...pxnrAfXIvPiKwV
    Last edited by TCC; 05-06-2019 at 01:13 AM.

I could recommend some excellent Afro Prog... not really danceable like that Lord Funk you posted... cant dance to Prog, but it's excellent of course!

However, if you wanna stick to the danceable Funk, here's the first of many I can recommend:

super tasty Lead Guitar runs

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You can never go wrong with Miles Davis's 70's output, On the Corner may be one of the dirtiest, funkiest albums I've heard.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    You can never go wrong with Miles Davis's 70's output, On the Corner may be one of the dirtiest, funkiest albums I've heard.
    Agree!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

How about Isabelle Feuillebois of Magma singling funk with former members of Magma, the Deats?

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Japanese!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Undisputed Truth are often overlooked, unjustly IMO. Admittedly they veered towards disco at the end of their time and their albums had a fair amount of pretty limp stuff, but when they got going they were dazzling. ‘Ball of Confusion’, ‘Earthquake Shake’, ‘Law of the Land’ and ‘You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell’ are just a few of their classics. Norman Whitfield, the producer, was clearly influenced by Hendrix and Sly Stone. He also worked with The Temptations during their psychedelic soul period and with Rare Earth. He often got all three bands to record the same song and it is fascinating to hear the different versions thrown up by each entity. The Undisputed Truth’s seven albums are all available on CD with the release earlier this year of the great Cosmic Truth – with ‘Earthquake Shake’, ‘Please Me, Tease Me’ and ‘(I Know) I’m Losing You’ – and Higher Than High.

I've always thought an argument could be made that Fishbone could be on the outer fringes of prog, they most certainly get funky. Angelo scores big points for playing a theremin in their concerts.

No introduction necessary

More good pure funkyness

Last edited by progholio; 05-06-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Undisputed Truth are often overlooked, unjustly IMO. Admittedly they veered towards disco at the end of their time and their albums had a fair amount of pretty limp stuff, but when they got going they were dazzling. ‘Ball of Confusion’, ‘Earthquake Shake’, ‘Law of the Land’ and ‘You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell’ are just a few of their classics. Norman Whitfield, the producer, was clearly influenced by Hendrix and Sly Stone. He also worked with The Temptations during their psychedelic soul period...
    It was Whitfield's Psychedelic leanings that caused the Tempts to fire him. That's why he went on recording many of the Tempts songs with UT
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

MMMhhh!!!!... Fishbone is not killer 70's proggy funk

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Undisputed Truth are often overlooked, unjustly IMO. Admittedly they veered towards disco at the end of their time and their albums had a fair amount of pretty limp stuff, but when they got going they were dazzling. ‘Ball of Confusion’, ‘Earthquake Shake’, ‘Law of the Land’ and ‘You Make Your Own Heaven and Hell’ are just a few of their classics. Norman Whitfield, the producer, was clearly influenced by Hendrix and Sly Stone. He also worked with The Temptations during their psychedelic soul period and with Rare Earth. He often got all three bands to record the same song and it is fascinating to hear the different versions thrown up by each entity. The Undisputed Truth’s seven albums are all available on CD with the release earlier this year of the great Cosmic Truth – with ‘Earthquake Shake’, ‘Please Me, Tease Me’ and ‘(I Know) I’m Losing You’ – and Higher Than High.
    Thanks for the heads-up on Undisputed Truth (and the reissues >>> I will certainly indulge). Yeah, you can feel & hear the same woven Whitfield fabric between the good era of Temptations and UT

I must say that a lot of those funk bands veered disco in the later 70's (Kool & The Gang, Earth Wind & Fire, and even Chic)...

I kind of missed most of that funk style, as a teen because I was totally turned off by disco (the Donna Summer & Claudia Barry kind) and the SNF (though I did like the Gees' Staying alive tune, for some odd reason).
    So turned off that I never checked out their discography in record store bins (different sections in most places anyways)
    It's only in the 90's that I discovered that EWF and K&tG had albums from the early 70's and borrowed them in the library system?

MMMhhh!!!!... Fishbone is not killer 70's proggy funk
    Sorry, wrong decade, try this

^^^
    not meaning to be picky, but the only thing that was killed by that funk was the crushed ants under the platform boots of these near-disco dancers siffle.gif

rotflmao.gif
    Just kidding, of course Bisous04.gif

Banned

Defunkt was grounded in 1978, but this from 81

^^^
    not meaning to be picky, but the only thing that was killed by that funk was the crushed ants under the platform boots of these near-disco dancers siffle.gif
    Aw, nuts to you. That's a GREAT song, and it definitely has the whiff of progginess: that guitar lick starting at 2:11 would be right at home on a Yes record.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx