Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BEST OF 2019 ... so far

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    The new IZZ album "Don't Panic" makes everything else they've done sound..... like Preparation H.
    Now that burns.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Hold on to your testicles and pray to whatever god you worship for mercy and forgiveness.

The new one from Elephant9 (with Reine Fiske no less) "Psychedelic Backfire" (vols 1 and 2)
    Absolutely fantastic stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    And the latest (just out) from IZZ "Don't Panic" should be added to this (already long) list:
    This is very-very good. I had never heard a note from these guys, so this came as a pleasant surprise.

I've been following IZZ for a while now and their records have been uniformly decent. This one is different. This one is AWESOME!!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I've been following IZZ for a while now and their records have been uniformly decent. This one is different. This one is AWESOME!!!!
    Out of curiosity, what's different about it to you? I'm not really a fan of their stuff, but I've always felt they had the talent to do more if they took their foot off the brake a bit and tried to stretch out. Is this one more adventurous, more "complex," or just more of the same but very well done to your ears?

Bill

So many artists I have not heard of or from on this thread. Hmmmm… I am starting to feel like maybe I can only get myself to listen to artists I already know. I guess its time to either expand my listening, or, limit my comments here to the Yes, Genesis and What-is-prog? threads. Still, I can only vouch for The New Dream Theater and New Neal Morse albums... The new Big Big Train... is it any different from the earlier releases? I heard almost nothing about the actual music, just that its on someone's 2019 best of list.

Now "get off my lawn! yadamnkidsya!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    The new Big Big Train... is it any different from the earlier releases? I heard almost nothing about the actual music, just that its on someone's 2019 best of list.

Now "get off my lawn! yadamnkidsya!"
    https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/album/grand-tour

Have a listen for yourself.

neil

Another great one for my non-ending list:

- Azymuth - Demos (1973-1975) Volumes 1 & 2 -

These are archival-demos from 1973-1975 from the brazilian ensamble Asymuth released for the first time on May 31, 2019.

Regards.
    Last edited by TCC; 06-14-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Banned
    As a huge fan of beautiful female vocals in Prog, I would like to mention this admirable compilation released a week ago on Mellow: https://mellowlabelproductions.bandc.../women-in-prog

Quote Originally Posted by daoubourg View Post
    As a huge fan of beautiful female vocals in Prog, I would like to mention this admirable compilation released a week ago on Mellow: https://mellowlabelproductions.bandc.../women-in-prog
    Hmmm… They should have at least mention that these are just already released tracks by various bands
    Aries, Prowlers, Trama etc. etc. I feel like just mentioning the vocalist is a little bit cheap...

The new pair of live albums from Elephant9 are indeed stunning. Magma's Zëss should be out soon, and I think those albums will probably be my top 3 releases in this year so far.

The new Motorpsycho left me very disappointed

weird, Crucible is the 1st Motorpsycho album I've enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's different about it to you? I'm not really a fan of their stuff, but I've always felt they had the talent to do more if they took their foot off the brake a bit and tried to stretch out. Is this one more adventurous, more "complex," or just more of the same but very well done to your ears?

Bill
    We must have been listening to IZZ with the same ears. Yeah, it's more of the same but extremely focused this time. The songs make more sense and the title track is possibly my favorite thing they've ever done.
    The Prog Corner

We must have been listening to IZZ with the same ears. Yeah, it's more of the same but extremely focused this time. The songs make more sense and the title track is possibly my favorite thing they've ever done.
    I'll give it a sample, thanks.

Bill

Yep, IZZ recorded something special this time around. I like it a lot.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I'll give it a sample, thanks.

Bill
    Bill,

You likely know this already, but the disc is up on Progstreaming. I for one enjoy all their albums. The Crush of Night suite (both halves) is outstanding!

cheers,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Bill,

You likely know this already, but the disc is up on Progstreaming. I for one enjoy all their albums. The Crush of Night suite (both halves) is outstanding!

cheers,
    Don
    I found it on Youtube and just had a listen to the whole thing.

Compared to my memories of their earliest albums (the only ones I am really familiar with), they seem to have gone in a much more mainstream symph direction. I hear tons of Yes nods, which isn't really my impression of their early stuff. I'm not especially partial to their vocals or lyrics, and they sound a lot like Magenta to me in these sections, or the familiar Flower Beards type sympho stuff. They do stretch out a bit more instrumentally here, and by far my favorite track was the instrumental Moment of Inertia. where I thought did a good job of developing that initial theme and rhythm.

Overall, for my tastes, this is just a bit fluffy, which has always been my issue with Izz, though this album is clearly more oriented toward the Neo/Sympho Prog mainstream than the albums I'm familiar with. But for what it is, it's well done and obviously this is the type of stuff that seems to have the widest appeal. So, up with people.

Bill

Thank You Scientist "Terraformer
    Ni - Pantophobie
    Tompox - Reincarnation
    Dewa Budjana "Mahandini"
    Mörglbl "The Story Of Scott Rötti"
    Cheeto's Magazine "Amazingous"
    Front "Echoes From The Past"
    Umpfel "As the Waters Cover the Sea"
    The Resonance Project "The Resonance Project"

I'm going to give IZZ one more spin... last one left me totally cold.

I find them hit & miss, mostly miss where the tunes don't click with me, and nothing on the new album grabs. However there are a couple of gems scattered throughout their discography, like this one from 2009

Yes, Genesis and Neal Morse
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Old man of prog
    Soen
    Neal Morse Band
    Wheel
    Thank You Scientist
    RPWL
    Dream Theater
    IZZ
    Devin Townsend

Magma - Zess

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Magma - Zess
    So you like it?

I haven’t heard it yet. Can not wait!

Genesis, Yes and Neal Morse.
    I love it when Neal whips it out.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've found myself continually spinning the debut album from "Now In Colour". They're an Australian power trio. Finely-tuned songwriting, impeccable production, and outstanding playing from start to finish. Definitely give them a listen: https://nowincolouraus.bandcamp.com/album/now-in-colour
    Great Wide Nothing - indie/alt-prog from Atlanta, GA

New album, "Hymns for Hungry Spirits, Vol. I" out now!

Pre-order the limited edition, hand-numbered red vinyl at https://www.diggersfactory.com/vinyl...-spirits-vol-i
    Listen on Spotify at https://open.spotify.com/album/1kSh6N0uZifZxehukhNn1T
    Download from Bandcamp at https://greatwidenothing.bandcamp.co...-spirits-vol-i