Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 55

Thread: Dweezil Zappa - Hot Rats fall tour dates

  1. #26
    Someone told me that his band is comprised of teenagers. I've heard nothing about that. I see a photo of his current band and, while they look young, they look older than teenagers.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  2. #27
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Someone told me that his band is comprised of teenagers. I've heard nothing about that. I see a photo of his current band and, while they look young, they look older than teenagers.
    Teenagers in dog years.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  3. #28
    Member Phlakaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    713
    Gotz my tickets for Austin in Feb - Feb wont suck now. Yay!

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Gotz my tickets for Austin in Feb - Feb wont suck now. Yay!
    March for mine, and on a Friday, too boot. $45.00 for early entry and no service fee. Can't beat that.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  5. #30
    Member Phlakaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    March for mine, and on a Friday, too boot. $45.00 for early entry and no service fee. Can't beat that.
    Ya man... mine was $55 in the end - and this is a center and about 15 rows back - and a SEAT! Hallelujah! Havent seen a DZ show in a seat since Vegas on the first tour.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Ya man... mine was $55 in the end - and this is a center and about 15 rows back - and a SEAT! Hallelujah! Havent seen a DZ show in a seat since Vegas on the first tour.
    Mine is general admission, but early entry is guaranteed a seat. And I know where the best ones are. While most people grab the floor seats, I go upstairs and get the front of the balcony. This is a small venue, so I'll still only be about 40 feet from the stage. Plus, we can order food.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  7. #32
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    2,038
    Might this tour also include Waka Jawaka? Anyhoo, Hot Rats has my fave Zappa jazz tuned on it, Peaches In Regalia and Son of Mr. Green Genes.

  8. #33
    Member Joe F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Might this tour also include Waka Jawaka? Anyhoo, Hot Rats has my fave Zappa jazz tuned on it, Peaches In Regalia and Son of Mr. Green Genes.
    You can look up the setlist on line. They don't vary much.

  9. #34
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    322
    Just bought mine for February.

  10. #35
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Which means he wasn't too good at soloing over changes?
    I could only speculate. I love his guitar playing, but I suspect he was more interested in composition rather than developing the chops for improvisation over complex chord changes.

  11. #36
    Member FrippWire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    428
    Got my tickets for 2020 in Michigan. Saw his last stop in Michigan in September of this year and it was quite good. I'm ready for more.

  12. #37
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    322
    So, if by chance I come across Dweezil and ask him to put his name on something, would he be offended if that thing was the Shampoohorn album he did with Ahmet? I last heard things were settling a little in the family, but that was a while ago.

  13. #38
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    3,623
    Avalon Theatre in Easton MD on the 14th of Sept, day after the National Folk Fest weekend, Nice!
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  14. #39
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    So, if by chance I come across Dweezil and ask him to put his name on something, would he be offended if that thing was the Shampoohorn album he did with Ahmet? I last heard things were settling a little in the family, but that was a while ago.
    He would probably laugh his ass off.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  15. #40
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    He would probably laugh his ass off.
    Good enough for me.

    I doubt I'll get the chance, but I'm taking the (mostly) recyclable case with me.

  16. #41
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    322
    2 more sleeps!
    Really looking forward to this.

  17. #42
    Fantastic in San Francisco last Thursday! Seeing the entire Hot Rats in concert was beyond words. The rest of the show was excellent as well.
    He had local guitarist Gretchen Menn up to jam with him for a tune, and then her husband do the same for the next song, Daniele Gottardo.

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Good enough for me.

    I doubt I'll get the chance, but I'm taking the (mostly) recyclable case with me.
    Dweez is a big "post-show meet & greet" guy for sure, definitely bring the album!

    When I took my daughter to see him on the Choice Cuts Tour at First Ave. in Minneapolis a couple of years back, we were able to meet Dweezil Z & most of the band.

    As we approached DZ's table, I began with a brief rundown of my humorous tale about meeting his dad at Cal State Northridge in 1987. He seemed amused & interested enough with my anecdote, however the second I introduced my daughter, he literally JUMPED up out of his chair to enthusiastically shake her hand. This guy is a monster talent, a helluva nice guy, and is sincere about his desire to get his dad's music to as many young ears of today as possible. And there were definitely plenty of younger folks at the show, many of whom appeared to be there with one or more parents.
    -----------

    "You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

    -Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

  19. #44
    Two weeks from Friday, I'll be seeing him.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangento View Post
    Dweez is a big "post-show meet & greet" guy for sure, definitely bring the album!

    When I took my daughter to see him on the Choice Cuts Tour at First Ave. in Minneapolis a couple of years back, we were able to meet Dweezil Z & most of the band.

    As we approached DZ's table, I began with a brief rundown of my humorous tale about meeting his dad at Cal State Northridge in 1987. He seemed amused & interested enough with my anecdote, however the second I introduced my daughter, he literally JUMPED up out of his chair to enthusiastically shake her hand. This guy is a monster talent, a helluva nice guy, and is sincere about his desire to get his dad's music to as many young ears of today as possible. And there were definitely plenty of younger folks at the show, many of whom appeared to be there with one or more parents.
    That's a nice anecdote, thanks for sharing that! Makes me happy to hear things like this about Dweezil, as he has always seemed like a nice guy from what I've seen. Hoping to catch one of his shows one day.

    What did your daughter think of the concert?

  21. #46
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangento View Post
    Dweez is a big "post-show meet & greet" guy for sure, definitely bring the album!

    When I took my daughter to see him on the Choice Cuts Tour at First Ave. in Minneapolis a couple of years back, we were able to meet Dweezil Z & most of the band.

    As we approached DZ's table, I began with a brief rundown of my humorous tale about meeting his dad at Cal State Northridge in 1987. He seemed amused & interested enough with my anecdote, however the second I introduced my daughter, he literally JUMPED up out of his chair to enthusiastically shake her hand. This guy is a monster talent, a helluva nice guy, and is sincere about his desire to get his dad's music to as many young ears of today as possible. And there were definitely plenty of younger folks at the show, many of whom appeared to be there with one or more parents.
    That's great. He does seem genuinely invested in making people happy with music. It's just too bad it's so hard to reach younger listeners unless their parents expose them first.

  22. #47
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    322
    Blown away. It was such a fun show. My GOD, I knew these people were talented, but seeing them in action was just incredible. Scheila is such a practiced professional, and has been working with these people and this music for so long, everything she did looked so simple. But she never stopped having fun. Everyone on the stage was genuinely enjoying themselves and the crowd fed off of that.

    Our seats were great. Center balcony, with an unobstructed view to the stage.

    One dad took his 8-year-old daughter to see it. One kid in a Zappa shirt, looked about 14 or 15, with big puffy hair like Frank's, was there with his mom. And there were a lot of people who were definitely there at Frank's first shows in attendance last night, too.

    Most importantly, my wife really, truly dug the show. She's only heard Zappa when I play it, and she did hear Hot Rats in-full once recently. It's not her style at all. But she was as amazed and entertained as I was. Scheila and Adam are her new heroes.

  23. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What did your daughter think of the concert?
    BIG mistake asking me a question about my daughter... pull up a chair.

    She's an amazing young lady, who has been teaching herself video game music* since age 5 on the Yamaha keyboard I bought her. She's a natural talent, with perfect pitch and music deep in her soul. She has been exposed to my crazed musical tastes throughout her life, yet has never been willing to automatically "like" it just because I did. And I like that. Throughout her 19 years, she has cultivated an incredible musical intuition and most definitely has developed a strong appreciation for talented musicians.

    Oh, what did she think of the concert? As you might gather based on the info above, she obviously loved the show. I have yet to get her to fully "click" with Zappa's stuff in general, and that's precisely why we went. (she friggin LOVES Mr Bungle and the Residents, however) I sense that she's coming around to some of FZ's instrumental stuff, the complex pieces like Arf and jazzier cuts like Peaches. I gather that as time goes on, she'll begin to dig around on her own through the formidable FZ discography, and maybe she'll think of her nutjob dad and call me to say thanks. She was absolutely thrilled to have had the chance to meet & greet with Dweezil and ESPECIALLY Scheila, whom her eyes & ears were drawn to for most of the show. This kid definitely knows talent when she sees & hears it, and that's really all a prog-loving dad can ask for.

    -----------
    * I hope that at some point I can get a thread to take hold here at PE on the subject of VGM - Video Game Music... IIRC, an attempt on the old version of the site had moderate traction. Experiencing this genre of music through the years with my daughter, who's a life-long Nintendo fanatic, has been life-changing and incredibly rewarding & enlightening. We've been to two Legend of Zelda live symphony orchestra performances, and I was moved to tears more than once during each of them. Even if you're not a gamer, there is an untapped bounty of transcendent compositions for the adventurous Prog Fan to discover in this genre.

    May I share one piece?



    ------------

    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Blown away. It was such a fun show. My GOD, I knew these people were talented, but seeing them in action was just incredible. Scheila is such a practiced professional, and has been working with these people and this music for so long, everything she did looked so simple. But she never stopped having fun. Everyone on the stage was genuinely enjoying themselves and the crowd fed off of that.

    Our seats were great. Center balcony, with an unobstructed view to the stage.

    One dad took his 8-year-old daughter to see it. One kid in a Zappa shirt, looked about 14 or 15, with big puffy hair like Frank's, was there with his mom. And there were a lot of people who were definitely there at Frank's first shows in attendance last night, too.

    Most importantly, my wife really, truly dug the show. She's only heard Zappa when I play it, and she did hear Hot Rats in-full once recently. It's not her style at all. But she was as amazed and entertained as I was. Scheila and Adam are her new heroes.
    That's awesome to hear, all of it. It was a true honor for us to have chatted & shaken hands with the Amazing Scheila.
    -----------

    "You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

    -Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

  24. #49
    The eons are closing
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    1,142
    Re: VGM
    I am down for a new thread on that. My 12 year old son does something similar re: learning.

    The soundtrack to No Man's Sky is a particular fave in Casa MudShark.

    by 65daysofstatic
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRI-o9JDfCI

    Back to regularly scheduled thread.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

  25. #50
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    322
    I did get the encore on my phone. I figured if the guy next to us could set up a digital camera on a tripod and set his directional recorder on the barrier running in front of our seats, then I could rest my phone on my knee and catch a bit of the show.
    It's not too bad.


    There has always been game music that's stuck with me.
    I have a few of the songs from Wave Race 64 in the mix on my phone, some Goldeneye sections. I extracted all of the music files from my CD-ROM version of Driver years back. Still have them. I also got the special edition of Bully on the PS2 with the soundtrack. Good stuff.
    My ringtone is the theme from Xevious. Used to be a tabletop cabinet in the pizza joint where I got my first job at 14. Love that game.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •