Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Educate me on Garage Rock

Educate me on Garage Rock

I like this a lot
    So please share some of your favorite 64-68 stuff

https://youtu.be/1CpAt-KgBCA

I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night by Electric Prunes.

The Nuggets compilation is ground zero for this stuff, and deservedly so, imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Hello Udi, try the podcast The Hard Stuff and Tough Rocks on Sonic Daydream. There's 20+ episodes on Garage/Harder stuff that may be what you're looking for :-)

http://sonicdaydream.blogspot.com

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar

The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The Nuggets compilation is ground zero for this stuff, and deservedly so, imo.
    There are many, many wonderful garage band tracks, some on "Nuggets" and some not. Here are a few of my favorite, less-well-known, ones:

seems like a super thin line between Garage and Psychedelic Rock
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't think so. The term "Psychedelic Rock" is unfortunately too often used for a lot of music which has NOTHING to do with psychedelia, but when properly applied (early PF, Fleur de Lys, Sunforest, all the Joe Boyd stuff) there's no overlap with "garage."

We can jam in Joe's garage!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I don't think so. The term "Psychedelic Rock" is unfortunately too often used for a lot of music which has NOTHING to do with psychedelia, but when properly applied (early PF, Fleur de Lys, Sunforest, all the Joe Boyd stuff) there's no overlap with "garage."
    Garage definitely started out way before, but did eventually merge into psychedelic (Seeds, Standells, etc). I think garage probably started out with Louie Louie which was what '62? Kids in a garage who just loved to bang away on the I-IV-V progression with no pretension of emulating Beatles harmonies or anything like that. Here's one of my favorites of the early era.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I think garage probably started out with Louie Louie which was what '62?
    Richard Berry wrote it in '55, it was released in '57 and was a moderate success in L.A. Rockin' Robin Roberts heard it and brought it up the the Pacific Northwest, where bands like The Frantics and the Dave Lewis Combo and the Wailers played it live. Within a week of each other in April 1963, both The Kingsmen and Paul Revere & The Raiders recorded versions at Bob Lindahl's studio in Portland, Oregon.

You'll want the "Nuggets" box set and the "Trash Box" if this stuff scratches an itch for you. I liked this stuff better when I was a drunk 24 year old, but the riffs are all good and some of the songs actually hold your interest almost to the end.

The ultimate garage anthem for me is The Seeds' Pushing Too Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    seems like a super thin line between Garage and Psychedelic Rock
    Well Psych certainly seemed to seep out of the garage, but I can't help but linking much of Garage Rock with Surf Rock (the common suits are helping), though I would somewhat exclude (not totally, though) the most famous surf band (Beach Boys) from this assessment, because they hit it way too big to stay garagey

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Garage definitely started out way before, but did eventually merge into psychedelic (Seeds, Standells, etc). I think garage probably started out with Louie Louie which was what '62? Kids in a garage who just loved to bang away on the I-IV-V progression with no pretension of emulating Beatles harmonies or anything like that. Here's one of my favorites of the early era.
    Though Surf Rock seemed to be mostly instrumental (except for Beach Boys), it's rather hard not thinking of Wipe Out or Apache (well I'm stretching it on that one a bit ain't I??) as Garage anthems, though historically it's way too early

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

And there is that guitar player again
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Coming to you from Orlando, FL.. Formed in '65 and active until '70. Probably best known for 'Mirror of Your Mind'.. about the 6:40 mark.

CWB had that garage/psych mix happening.

During the 1960s garage rock was not recognized as a distinct genre and had no specific name, but critical hindsight in the early 1970s

I would say that early Stooges material qualifies as garage rock. And although garage rock was largely an American phenomenon (simply because not many European homes had, and still do not have, garages), Can’s Monster Movie, with the American Malcolm Mooney on vocals, was an example of European garage rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I like this a lot
    So please share some of your favorite 64-68 stuff
    Educate you as in you know nothing and are just scratching the surface?

I would highly recommend jumping in with any of the Rhino Nuggets compilations and/or any of the other countless box set comps that do a good job without much overlap with Nuggets like Rubble, Mindrocker, Circus Days and much more.

If you want to move onto just one album that is absolutely essential then here it is -

https://bond-girls.bandcamp.com/track/little-wisdom

This band from Canada calls themselves as playing "angular garage-rock", something I describe of my stuff too

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post

If you want to move onto just one album that is absolutely essential then here it is -
    I LOVE the Monks...especially stuff from this program...