Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 201

Thread: The Decline of the Blu-ray Player

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marietta GA
    Posts
    127

    The Decline of the Blu-ray Player

    A couple of weeks ago I read an alarming article stating Samsung will no longer be making Blu-ray players after this year. My absolute favorite manufacturer, Oppo, has already stopped! This is very alarming to me not only because I love the better quality Blu-ray offers over DVD, but this is also how I listen to CDíS....and I have thousands of them! In fact I still prefer them now over digital downloads.....anyone else concerned about this development? I refuse to rebuy my music library! Such a sad development.....
    So much music....so little time....

  2. #2
    Wow, that is pretty big news. I'll have to pick one up as a spare now.

  3. #3
    I'm concerned so I picked up a brand new Oppo before they discontinued making them and have it stored in my closet. I'm 60 yrs old my current Oppo that I'm using I had for about 5 or 6 years now. Hopefully between the two of them they will outlast me!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marietta GA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I'm concerned so I picked up a brand new Oppo before they discontinued making them and have it stored in my closet. I'm 60 yrs old my current Oppo that I'm using I had for about 5 or 6 years now. Hopefully between the two of them they will outlast me!
    I’m 63...and was planning to get an Oppo when my now 5 year old top of the line Panasonic stops....never ever thought Oppo would cease to make the best out there......nobody makes one even as good as my Panasonic anymore! Very sad for those of us with large collections!
    So much music....so little time....

  5. #5
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,179
    Is this because of Netflix, Amazon Prime, streaming in general? Lack of sales of BR discs?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  6. #6
    Convenience, sloth and piracy
    Add to that the short lifespan of optical devices
    All this means minuscule demand
    I donít like streaming and stil buy cds but as soon as i get them i rip and listen on mobile devices or computer

  7. #7
    Old man of prog
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Haven
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Iím 63...and was planning to get an Oppo when my now 5 year old top of the line Panasonic stops....never ever thought Oppo would cease to make the best out there......nobody makes one even as good as my Panasonic anymore! Very sad for those of us with large collections!
    I am also 63 and HATE bluray. I am a Mac user which makes it difficult, and I hate 5.1 music. I want to be in front of the band not IN the band. I want my music on Hi Rez FLAC downloads. 2 Channel only. Please..

  8. #8
    Streaming killed disc sales. Most stores only sell new releases. Not enough sales to keep producing them.

  9. #9
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,198
    Crap. I'm just gettin' ready to hook one up to my TV.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  10. #10
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,375
    Crap - I was just thinking we needed a couple replacement players. I better grab a couple before they disappear entirely. Anyone got any recommendations?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  11. #11
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    806
    Most millennials don't even own a CD player...one would assume that extends to Blu-Ray players.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I am also 63 and HATE bluray.
    Why? What do you hate about higher resolution and uncompressed Audio?

    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I am a Mac user which makes it difficult
    I use a Mac and have no trouble finding BR readers and writers. I rip the audio from all of my BR discs so I can put the music on my DAP and in my iTunes library. It's easy (the software I use - two programs - cost a total of $50 for lifetime licences.

    Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    and I hate 5.1 music
    I don't hate 5.1, but neither do I own a surround sound system, instead choosing to Utah my money into the highest end Stereo system that I could afford in the living room. An OPPO UDP-205, Leema Tucana II integrated amp and Tetra 333 stack (plus a Samsung 4K TV and Apple TV 4K, so I can stream my I unreal library through my OPPO's DAC , through 5o My amp with balanced XLR cables.

    I have a Parasigm Millennium powered 2.1 set of speakers that use an OPPO HA-2 headphone amp/DAC connected to my Mac so, while not as good as the living room, it still sounds pretty sweet.

    I buy CDs, SACDs, BR and DVD Audio, as well as high res digital downloads from places like HDTracks, though I use ALAC rather than FLAC. I can rip Audio from ev rytging except SACD, so I've pretty much the best of all worlds WRT possibilities. I buy movies (HD and 4K) on iTunes, but have a large hard media film collection, so need a player and the OPPO does the trick. I was sorry (but understood why) to hear OPPO was ceasing production of their players, but at 63 (also) I hope my UDP will last, since I don't overuse the player.

    All this to say: I don't understand your BR hatred, and that being a Mac user is absolutely no impediment.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
    Streaming killed disc sales. Most stores only sell new releases. Not enough sales to keep producing them.
    And the excessive price of 4K hard media plus, for example,Apple's 4K purchase price of films being far more reasonable (and if you own a film in HD and it gets reissued in 4K, they bump your copy to 4K at no charge) pretty much killed it out of the gate...which is why OPPO stopped making the UDP line.

    Add to that, based on the city's largest second hand store telling me that DVDs far outsell BR in their shop, and it's understandable why things are heading where they are. Still, I suspect good quality hard media players won't entirely disappear, at least not in my lifetime. I'd have to spend more if my OPPO were to die, but there are companies like Emm Labs still making reference quality CD/SACD players and I'm sure BR players won't entirely disappear. Just my opinion, but after covering the Montreal Audio Fest last month I felt much more confident about it.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  14. #14
    Howdy Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42į09′30″N 71į08′43″W
    Posts
    2,462
    I've decided that I don't like Blu Ray and I don't like 5.1 even though I've probably never heard them!
    Therefore, they should not be allowed to exist!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I'm concerned so I picked up a brand new Oppo before they discontinued making them and have it stored in my closet. I'm 60 yrs old my current Oppo that I'm using I had for about 5 or 6 years now. Hopefully between the two of them they will outlast me!
    I did the same thing...bought another Oppo as a backup. Oppo still will repair the players.

  16. #16
    Old man of prog
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Haven
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    And the excessive price of 4K hard media plus, for example,Apple's 4K purchase price of films being far more reasonable (and if you own a film in HD and it gets reissued in 4K, they bump your copy to 4K at no charge) pretty much killed it out of the gate...which is why OPPO stopped making the UDP line.

    Add to that, based on the city's largest second hand store telling me that DVDs far outsell BR in their shop, and it's understandable why things are heading where they are. Still, I suspect good quality hard media players won't entirely disappear, at least not in my lifetime. I'd have to spend more if my OPPO were to die, but there are companies like Emm Labs still making reference quality CD/SACD players and I'm sure BR players won't entirely disappear. Just my opinion, but after covering the Montreal Audio Fest last month I felt much more confident about it.

    I only listen for hobby purposes to Hi Res 24bit or DSD but at MY 63 lol I have a hard time ripping the BluRays to play in my computer. Can't for the life of me figure how how to tag the individual songs and so they show up as "untitled".

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marietta GA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Why? What do you hate about higher resolution and uncompressed Audio?


    I use a Mac and have no trouble finding BR readers and writers. I rip the audio from all of my BR discs so I can put the music on my DAP and in my iTunes library. It's easy (the software I use - two programs - cost a total of $50 for lifetime licences.



    I don't hate 5.1, but neither do I own a surround sound system, instead choosing to Utah my money into the highest end Stereo system that I could afford in the living room. An OPPO UDP-205, Leema Tucana II integrated amp and Tetra 333 stack (plus a Samsung 4K TV and Apple TV 4K, so I can stream my I unreal library through my OPPO's DAC , through 5o My amp with balanced XLR cables.

    I have a Parasigm Millennium powered 2.1 set of speakers that use an OPPO HA-2 headphone amp/DAC connected to my Mac so, while not as good as the living room, it still sounds pretty sweet.

    I buy CDs, SACDs, BR and DVD Audio, as well as high res digital downloads from places like HDTracks, though I use ALAC rather than FLAC. I can rip Audio from ev rytging except SACD, so I've pretty much the best of all worlds WRT possibilities. I buy movies (HD and 4K) on iTunes, but have a large hard media film collection, so need a player and the OPPO does the trick. I was sorry (but understood why) to hear OPPO was ceasing production of their players, but at 63 (also) I hope my UDP will last, since I don't overuse the player.

    All this to say: I don't understand your BR hatred, and that being a Mac user is absolutely no impediment.
    I agree with you 100%! But I do love 5.1.....almost every Blu-ray also has high resolution stereo...so I didn’t really understand the hate for Blu-ray: better sounding, better picture. What’s to hate?
    So much music....so little time....

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Marietta GA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I've decided that I don't like Blu Ray and I don't like 5.1 even though I've probably never heard them!
    Therefore, they should not be allowed to exist!
    So much music....so little time....

  19. #19
    (aka timmybass69) timmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    central Texas
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Most millennials don't even own a CD player...one would assume that extends to Blu-Ray players.
    Most millennials don't own anything. Most are lazy, stupid, clueless, broke, gullible, and for the most part, useless. Extremely sad but true.

    Are we stuck with moving towards downloads only? I am ok with downloads as long as there is the option for 96k/24b or 192k/24b. I see quite a few 44.1k/16 or 24b downloads. Some of the KC downloads on HDtracks come to mind. I figure if it is 44.1k/16b I would prefer to buy the physical media.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

  20. #20
    Member bigjohnwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Most millennials don't own anything. Most are lazy, stupid, clueless, broke, gullible, and for the most part, useless. Extremely sad but true.

    I'm not really offended, but I was born in '86 and most of my contemporaries own at least one thing.

  21. #21
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I did the same thing...bought another Oppo as a backup. Oppo still will repair the players.
    That is what Theta said years ago with their Universal transports and DAC's.....crickets now......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  22. #22
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,234
    Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Most millennials don't own anything. Most are lazy, stupid, clueless, broke, gullible, and for the most part, useless. Extremely sad but true.
    Were we (or our parents) stupid, lazy, etc. when subscribing to cable TV, HBO, etc? We've had this conversation before.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    That is what Theta said years ago with their Universal transports and DAC's.....crickets now......
    I just had my original Oppo repaired..so there...

  24. #24
    Member Vic333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    186
    That is surprising that Samsung is dropping out of Blu-Ray players entirely. After all, they don't just play BD discs. They play CDs and DVDs just as well. And Samsung did make some pretty cheap entry level players.
    Will they still manufacture DVD players?

    --
    Looks like they announced end of new design, not end of life or end of sale.
    Last edited by Vic333; 04-22-2019 at 07:31 PM.

  25. #25
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I'm concerned so I picked up a brand new Oppo before they discontinued making them and have it stored in my closet. I'm 60 yrs old my current Oppo that I'm using I had for about 5 or 6 years now. Hopefully between the two of them they will outlast me!
    I have 3 Oppo's including the last 203 4K player. These machines are incredible. The 4K (on the right TV) is absolutely stunning and the sound (with the right setup) is bliss. I read they will continue updates, but have indeed discontinued the machines. A shame.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •